1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just back form the Chaos Wastes....

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dancing with Saurus2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Dancing with Saurus2 Member

Some of you will have been photos of Charlie the Carnosaur that I posted earlier but I've now more or less finished him. There are still a few small bits to paint (including the reigns) but I'm very pleased with the outcome.

I've been experimenting with the GW varnish (Aardcoat I think) and used it on the claws to make them look razor sharp, in both mouths to make them appear wet and on the rider's armour to make it look enamelled. I'm happy to report that each application was successful despite the desired affect being different each time.

This model was a Christmas present from last year so I HAD to finish him before this Christmas otherwise more models might not be forthcoming :jawdrop: . I've been good Santa honest!! ;)

The lighting was much better at my local GW thus the better quality photos!

IMAG0471_zps966225ca.jpg

IMAG0472_zps6f5c0728.jpg

n810 and Slanputin like this.
  2. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the silver, a well deserved prize! It always baffles me how much more popular the 40k is. I didn't really grasp it before I started following Reddit's Warhammer subreddit. It's almost rare to see anything WHFB there. Here in dedicated forums we can live in a nice bubble, though. And still love the Carno, and the rider looks really menacing!

3. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Great looking Carno and Rider. I would hate to see them tromping down my streets! Yikes!

4. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Hi All,

Loving the *new look* Lustria! It's been a while since I've posted because I've actually moved onto a Wood Elf army - although I keep being drawn back to Lizzies as my only playable army. Burn the non believer!!! I'm also about to start painting a unit of Temple Guard ... perhaps I haven't move on as much as I thought ;).

Anyway, I entered my local GW's Runefang competition some weeks a go with an entry called 'A Tail for a Tail' and I've copied a few blurry images below. I worked on it for about a month using models that I'd generally already painted plus some unit fillers. The newly painted miniatures are the Skaven assassin and Tehenhauin. Tehenhauin is a brilliant model and the pictures in the army book really don't do it justice. Tehenhauin was a bit of a rush job but I was really pleased with the outcome. Compared to the weeks it took me to paint some of my older priest models I've really sped up. I'll try to get some close ups of the newly painted models soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NIGHTBRINGER, n810, JamJar and 3 others like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

@Dancing with Saurus2

I've just gone through your full post, some very nice models and I'm loving your latest project, I'm going to have to start making some diorama's as my models are just shoved in a box atm.

6. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Thanks @Crowsfoot. It was a lot of fun and at this size it's not too difficult - although working to a deadline makes made it a little stressful towards the end. It's build on top of a Games Workshop movement tray (uncut).

7. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

That is great work, it really brings the scene to life :)

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Amazing display man. :cool:

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Great display... it looks awesome. Do you have a another picture of the statue from a different angle? Lovely work.

10. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

@NIGHTBRINGER As requested here's a close up of the statue. I normally use it as a unit filler. You can see it in the unit on 'Page 2' of this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NIGHTBRINGER and Pinktaco like this.
  11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

That's very interesting. Hmm, :D

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Nice to have you back, DwS! We'll get you hooked on likes and flickers so you won't even think of going back to Wood Elves... And very cool looking diorama, I love all the little details!

Dancing with Saurus2 likes this.
  13. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

... and as promised here's a close up of Tehenhauin and the Skaven assassin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NIGHTBRINGER and n810 like this.
  14. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

@n810 Cheers buddy!:):)

@Pinktaco Hi, if the 'hhmmm' is directed at the statue/unit filer it does save me having to paint another 4x Saurus Warriors/Temple Guard. Although why a statue would move around the battlefield I don't know :D

@Caprasauriae Hey, it's good to be back! :) While I'm enjoying the Wood Elves they don't have the same level of variety as the WEs. There's a lot fewer exciting Dino models to paint. I hope you're well! I need to check out your latest models to see what you've been up to ;)

Caprasauridae and n810 like this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Very nice! I think the statue really adds a lot to the diorama. You did a wonderful job on it; the vines growing on it and the elevated base are great touches.

16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Hmm as in consider your idea stolen haha xD

17. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks, mate, I'm good, but having too many miniature-y things going on that I haven't actually finished many models...