1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Kings of War releasing beta Lizardmen list released August 16th

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Scalenex, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

For the skink priest, I forgot the obvious solution : Ghekkotah Clutch Warden with one of the magic artefacts that give a spell like the healing charm, or the boomstick, or maybe the diadem of dragon-kind that give a breath attack (technically not a spell, but works exactly like the fireball spell anyway)

Also, for those that don't already know while you can only equip one artefact per unit, most artefacts can be equipped on almost any unit, not only on heroes (non hero monsters and war engines cannot get artefacts, as well as special characters).

The diadem for exemple can give a breath attack to any unit. The brew of strength can improve the crushing strength of a whole unit by 1, the blessing of the gods give the elite special rule (reroll all 1s to hit, even with ranged attacks and spells), and so on.

This give a lot of customization potential, and as the lists are open by default, it's often a very good idea to use some special model or convertion to represent units with artefacts.

For exemple if you have both terraton and ripperdactyl models and want to field both, you might for exemple say that the ripperdactyl are equipped with the brew of strength, making them more expensive but very dangerous in melee, a true glass canon.

2. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

any news on what the rest of the salmanders models look like

3. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Well, technically the only official Mantic models planned for now on the short term are the base Salamanders (the "Primes") with options for hand weapon and shield or great weapon, plus I suppose one salamander hero in the Dungeon Saga game.

The point of the Uncharted empire supplement that will contain the Salamander army list was to make official rules allowing the use of models from other manufacturers, in the same way that the core Kingdoms of Man army had mainly be done to allow use of many differnt historical models (Mantic does not have an official Kingdoms of Man model range).

So on the short and medium term you can simply use your existing Lizardmen models for Kings of war and test the game without buying even one Mantic model.

On the longer term they will probably try to expand some of those armies, and as the Salamander army is one where they are about to release official plastic models (thanks to the Nature army that also include the Primes salamanders) they will probably be a prime candidate for getting some additional release, but it won't be soon.

4. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

We now are to the last update, this one should probably be the same as in the final supplement outside potential minor changes.

Note that we got a special Corsair unique character since the last time that I posted.

5. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

The Uncharted Empire supplement that will include the final Salamander army list and 8 others will be released soon, probably on november 15th if not delayed.

Scalenex likes this.
  6. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

New picture of the salamander models, with a fire-themed paint-job.

[​IMG]

Bracnos, Warden, Slanputin and 3 others like this.
  7. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Looking forward to see how they'll work. I have been thinking about adding KoW to my list of games, not before the lizard guys were available, though ;)

8. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

9. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

From the last Kickstarter update we got a better picture of the salamanders components that should be shipping now to backers (early 2016 for public release) :
    (the models come with options for hand weapon and shield or great weapons)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Bracnos, Warden, pendrake and 5 others like this.
  10. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

Pretty good looking models imo. Will probably pick up a box or two

11. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the models! I love alternate lizardmen models but there are so few good ones out there aside from the odd individual character. They remind me a lot of the old 5th edition Saurus which to this day are some of my favourite models - and the fiery lava theme fits my affinity for Chotec just fine!

12. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

I finally got mines from the kickstarter (I had a Force of nature starter army) and they look very good, the sprue even include small plastic flammes that you can use on your bases (you see them on the ground in the painted picture that I posted earlier)

Also, I like the poses, the two handed weapons are held in a way that look threathening and somewhat realistic, and not flying in an exagerrated manner like in some recent GW models

13. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Have a hard time judging size of those guys ?
    Standard infantry or closer to krox?

14. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

haven't seen them but they're on 25mm bases, they shouldn't be too big

15. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Correct, they are equivalent to Saurus warriors

16. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Any idea about when such models will be available for purchase. I like them even though they are quite different from the warhammer design :)

17. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

They just released the abyssal plastics from the kickstarter, so the forces of nature including the salamanders should be the next big KoW release.

I think that they have planned a few other things before that (like the Walking Dead kickstarter that should occupy them for a bit), but hopefully we will get them in retail this spring at worst, maybe earlier.

Warden likes this.
  18. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

19. Jack Trowell
    Cold One