1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Lizardmen to Salamanders Conversion Chart

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Itepixcauh, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That has a lot of potential right there. Pirate Saurus??? with pistols??!?

Definitely a cool idea, but that would take a whole lot of conversion work. I tried to find some examples on the internet but I am not sure if anyone has tried to make any actual lizardmen pirates yet. The idea of just subbing javelins would work to represent a lower-tech army, but pirate saurus...

As much as it doesn't necessarily fit the "fire" theme of the salamanders in Kings of War, I would love to see an army of these guys: Chupayotl-themed Saurus! I feel like you could definitely find a way to add a pirate-feel to some of the units:

Chupayotl Saurus.jpg

Not my work, done by @Amarok back in December. I hope he finishes them, so much potential!

2. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

That saurus is really cool! I've seen some people putting guns on their Saurus, buy that's it. I think that pirate Lizards have a huge potential actually.

Bowser and Warden like this.
  3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Would love to see pictures!

4. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

What are people's takes on Rhinosaurs specifically? What models are people using to represent them? They seem to be described as larger than Raptors (GW Cold Ones) but smaller than Fire Drakes (GW Carnosaurs), and there is no GW equivalent in between. I keep thinking of them as looking similar to GW Bastiladons but half the size and therefore ridable as large cavalry.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Use Saurus knights but paint them different to your Lancers or you could get a few plastic dinos and do some modding,

[​IMG]

to this,

[​IMG]

6. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I don't use them but I would use normal coldone riders given that you don't use kaisenor lancers too.

If you want a more permanent solution, right now the best thing to do is one of two options:

- Use toy dinosaurs
    - Or if you want to field a Horde (highly recommend): use three old metal stegadons. I've seen this solution used quite some times, it's not cheap though (eBay is your friend here)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

Remeber that you can multibase, and sometimes it also mean that you are not forced to use the same miniature in multiples.

For exemple I once saw a player use an old metal elven dragon rider (slightly smaller that the plastic kit, but still rather big) combined with several reapers yound dragons (wyrmlings), and used it as a drakon rider hord with the diadem of dragon kind (to get a breath attack).

In the case of Rhinosaurs, *one* old Carnosaur or stegaon combined with several smaller dinosaurs, maybe unridden cold ones (the finecast ones from Storm of Magic) or some smaller dinosaurs toys, anything that would be in size at least as big as a horde but smaller than the models that you use as monsters..

Bowser likes this.
  8. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

I'm trying to avoid multibasing for now - I'm only just getting back into miniature modelling / wargaming after a 14-or-so year break, so starting from scratch. For me, multibased units done badly look terrible, so I want to make sure I do my best with them. I've not painted miniatures at all during my hiatus so I'm going to have to re-learn everything! First I'm going to concentrate on troops, then bigger models, then basing, then multibasing.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I was out of the hobby for 20yrs or more, returned last year the painting comes back quickly for me anyway, the thing I love about multibasing is your models go so much further for example,

20 Dwarf Rangers will make a Troop (7) AND a regiment (13) and both be legal.

Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.
  10. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

As a young teen my 'painting' was more properly described as 'bash-it-on-and-play', with a couple of techniques like drybrushing to stop them looking utterly, utterly terrible. This time round I want to learn properly, so it won't be a matter of just re-learning. Multibasing will be the 'final frontier' for me - I would want to produce realistic scenes, so sculpting skills, painting expertise and a massive box of bitz all need to be developed first!

11. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Multibasing is great, it allows you to cut costs when creating an army, I recently bought a full 1500 point undead army for just 160 Pounds (Mix of GW with Mantic Zombies)

I also came back after a similarly long hiatus and the skills you had will come back to you quite fast. I recomend you to take a look at the painting videos in the Warhammer TV youtube channel, they are really good:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7s-26V0v6SepDFiznb3y6hx

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  12. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Good idea, the Gamezone riders are indeed slightly bigger than cold ones and should allow you to have both units in your army.

Slightly expensive and you will have to maybe adapt the riders to fit the saddle (did someone try with a cold one saurus rider ?), but the result might be good.

Now it would be better if they converted those models to their new soft plastic (with a corresponding price decrease) like they did with their dark elves infantries.

Crowsfoot and Itepixcauh like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

[​IMG]

15. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Wow, it looks even better that I hoped.

Green stuff on the mount is expected for a gamezone metal as those usually don't fit perfectly, but what about the saurus rider, did it fit on the saddle without modifications ?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

He is just placed atm but for a good fit the cold one just needs the saddle removing at the front and back and the rider will then sit flush, I'm going to use mine as a battle captain on rhinosaur or a clan lord on kaisenor.

BeardyGecko likes this.
  17. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

That steed does look the business! It portrays the 'chunkiness' that I envisage rhinosaurs being. It's a shame that I have to wait until Mantic release riders so that all the Salamanders in my army are of in the same style!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Well, with a small saw to cut and reposition the legs and some green stuff I suppose that you might convert the existing Salamanders models into riders, but it will surely be easier with official models indeed. ^_^

Crowsfoot likes this.
  19. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

With my green stuff modelling skills as they are at the moment I'd probably need to justify why all my riders have elephantiasis.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

@ Crowsfoot: Any chance you could you take a front-on shot of the model please? Although the profile is rhino-like chunky, the width looked quite thin on the 360° video on the Gamezone website.

Crowsfoot likes this.