1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Tired of the same old Slann pose? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering your own version to the Golden Slann competition - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Map Index: Temple Cities

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Slanputin, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Excuse mt i need tp see a doctor about getting my jaw re attached

Warden, Aginor and Scalenex like this.
  2. Aginor
    OldBlood

Aginor Well-Known Member

WOW! I don't even.... awesome!

Warden likes this.
  3. Zen Shrugs
    Skink

Zen Shrugs Member

More necromanceh... (*Cartman voice* You will respect my necromanceh!)

Just wanted to respond to Scalenex's very thoughtful post, which I have shamefully truncated to a soundbite in standard modern media fashion:

I completely agree that the map of Itza in the 5th ed book is silly. It's tiny, for one thing.

But... it has one big advantage over all the maps that came after. (Er, the Tlaxtlan map and... were there any others?) Namely, it's small enough to be practical for a modelling project. I could just about imagine building an Itza to match that map in 1997 in the garage. It would fill a wargaming table, but it wouldn't be an insane project like a Games Day table.

So I can't help think the map was deliberately drawn up like that as an achievable hobby goal. Much like Space Marine Chapters in 40K only containing a thousand men each. Absurd on a galactic scale... but it's a number the average hobbyist could *just about* imagine reaching with some dedicated collecting, even back in the 90s.

I don't mind it being orderly though. A city that still maintains an orderly layout unchanged in 7000+ years seems to me completely unbelievable... unless it's a Lizardman city. They'd make flippin' well sure the Old Ones' ancient capital stays EXACTLY as originally planned. Although on second thought, it could have undergone natural city evolution in the thousands of years before Chaos invaded. So, uh, ignore me.

I worry more about the pyramid of Pahuax having a Sotek snake-pit, but oh well...

Warden likes this.
  4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Unignored. Given how the Lizardmen were the most Order-orientated creatures on the planet, and this mindset only seemed to intensify as you moved up their hierarchy, it's not much of a stretch to assume that the Old Ones/Slann/Interdimensional Cold-booded Colonisation Commitee had a specific layouts in mind when designing and constructing cities. Real-world examples include many European cities, such as London and Paris, whose urban sprawl developed in a much more organic fashion compared to the more planned design of Washington DC or Brasilia.

Warden likes this.
  5. Warden
    Skar-Veteran

Warden Well-Known Member

As much as I prefer the larger map, you bring up a great point that I never considered before. Looking at the old map it would be fairly feasible to make a small Mordheim map or something to match up with the buildings and pyramids shown.