1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matzotyl's Lizardmen Army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Matzotyl, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Sorry for the very poor quality photos for the moment but eventually once more models get completed (I have one out of two battalion boxes fully built and painted) I'll be taking out my camera for some high qualithy images. Looking forward to your thoughts/comments on my Koopa Troopa inspired desert lizard theme!

Temple Guard:

Skink Skirmishers:

Cold One Riders:

Old Bloods on Cold One:

Old Blood on Carnosaur:

Terradon Riders:

Saurus Warriors:

Skink Priest (Made from Skink Oracle that's supposed to ride the Troglodon)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    n810, Slanputin and Scalenex like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Very nice work. I haven't seen very many Lizardmen armies painted yellow, I really like it. It looks awesome and is very unique!

3. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thank you! I had done some looking around online before deciding on the yellow paint theme and I didn't really see much of it either, all the more reason to do it right? lol. I'm thinking of doing some experimenting with a complementary color such as orange and dry brushing it (or washing it) over the tops of the scales to add a bit more detail and color variation to my models. What do you think about that idea?

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very nice ;)

I would add a orange or red glaze/wash to the scales as this will allow the yellow to come through, once dry, drybrush the scales with your original yellow to rehighlight.

Loving your skink priest

5. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thanks, I'm very proud of him :] My Skink Priest is pretty much who I would choose as my favorite model in my army cuz he's like a 100% custom build. It's really hard to tell in these photos but I took the Agrax Earthshade (which is brown) and that gave quite a good bit of shading to help make the scales "pop out" in regards to adding the detail there. That sounds like a good idea though, I'm definitely going to try that orange wash on some models I'm currently working on painting to see what happens. If I like the effect I'll definitely go back to the other models. I really think having that orange on the backs will help those dorsal spiny scales stick out more, and add a bit more coloration to the models. Awesome idea there and I really appreciate the painting tip.

I've got some really cool custom ideas for my Slann when he gets delivered, so keep an eye out for pics there ;]

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Ohh can't wait, I have 2 slann waiting in the wings for painting. one will be heavily converted but unsure of the direction yet.

7. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I've got a decent chunk of extra Stegadon bits lying around so (I might need to get my hands on some Green Stuff to help me out) but I was thinking of giving my Slann some of the extra horns, and possibly using the extra frill/collar as some type of shell on his back. I need the actual model in my possession before I can start seeing what I can actually do there, but having some ideas to mess with would be a good starting point. I'm also thinking of trying to work in some hot pink into the Slann's color scheme.

8. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I like the vividity of your Carnosaur. Usually I avoid painting gore on my models as I find it a little cheesey, however it creates an interesting contrast against the Carno's colour scheme.

Also, the midnight blue of your Terradon's is lovely. It really gives them an ominous-yet-celestial feel.

9. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

Great work, I'm certain Tlazcotl and Chotec would approve of the colours. Really liking that Skink Priest :)

10. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! It really feels good to see that other people enjoy my work as much as I do!

I can't add to the original post cuz of the image limit, but here are pics of my Stegadon, who sadly needs to go in for repairs cuz one of the back flags broke off during transport to the last game. The crew is almost finished but my modeling is set on hold for a while due to the fact that Easter is coming up this weekend. My family comes to my house for dinner so I have to put away all my supplies for the weekend. Why is it so hard to get good pictures of these things (mainly the lighting) that show off all the detail? haha

Stegadon: (crew is almost done, when finished more pictures will be added!)

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

About the lighting, use 2 lamps with daylight bulbs positioned at the sides, Ive invested in a light box of ebay to try and improve my pics :)

12. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

As someone who's an amateur photographer, a lightbox is something I probably should already own but unfortunately I don't lol. That's something I have to look into I guess so thanks for the tip!

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

a desk lamp or two and a piece of white paper or cloth will work.

Slanputin likes this.
  14. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Gor-Rok and Skink Chief:

I didn't have a base lying around for the Skink Chief (he was one of the variants I could build for Stegadon, but he was too cool not to use) so I just cut off an extra square of some leftover movement tray pieces to the appropriate size for a Skink base.

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Both look really good, more pls

16. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I've got the opportunity to shoot some more photos tomorrow while the sun is up. This time with an actual camera lol.

17. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

As promised, here are some more pictures. My camera's battery was dead so I had to shoot these with my tablet but I think they came out ok. Better than previous ones anyways lol.

Crowsfoot and n810 like this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Wow, much better, loving your minis

Matzotyl likes this.
  19. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thank you very much! I feel like the sunlight does them much more justice. I'll add more photos here of them in battle the next time I get to go play.

20. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

My Slann Mage Priest is all done! Just in time for game day on Saturday as well!