1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS More details of the new GH !! Awesome updates

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Seraphage, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

If Lord of Time and Space is the core allegiance ability for Seraphon then I would expect it to be one of the main reasons you would choose to build a pure Seraphon list competitively. If it turns out that there is one particular way to use it that every player finds more powerful than any other option then that would get predictable and boring. If on the other hand there are multiple valid builds each of which uses it in a different way on a different type of unit then it is no more cheesy using it than any other allegiance ability - which players use all the time already. Perhaps I would understand your concern better if there was a specific combo which you felt was the cheese that will cause problems.

The old Order allegiance ability was very unimpressive on an army which could largely shrug off battleshock anyway and made the Slann unique spell even more irrelevant than it already was. A new ability is definitely welcome.

Captaniser and Wazz like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

There's no specific combo yet, currently I'm mostly expecting it to be somewhat of a let dow in practise. That 9" minimum distance and our focus on melee makes it seem a bit underwhelming. Though even then there is definitly a lot of potential, especially for objective based games.

I'm just very afraid it'l end up being annoying one way or another. It reminds me too much of abilities, and limitations, that I've seen in other games that end up either being very situational, or enforce a very specific playstyle, or are just increadibly obnoxious to deal with while also being unavoidable/you can't ignore it.

It's still an improvement over the order allegiance ability yea.. especially on an army like ours that one was awefull./

Wazz likes this.
  3. Griffen
    Jungle Swarm

Griffen New Member

It shouldn't be any more cheesy then the sylvaneth teleporting around the edge of the field and near the woods. This just gives another option beyond horde or big dinos.

4. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

the new ability is awesome!

-dump a unit of skinks in front of the enemy to chaff them for the remainder of game.
    -position carnos and cold one knights to get behind enemy lines and set up charges.
    -position salamanders and razordons to shoot at the big important stuff early and often.
    - bastilidons with lasers are able to shoot anywhere now and can get on objectives that much faster.
    - bastilidons with snakes may see play now that they can be put near the enemy.
    - stegadons with flame throwers are way more viable now that they can be put near enemy.
    -you can take rippers without shadowstrike now as they can be set up on flanks or rears to threaten.

The main thing this adds is super mobility. Now we can surround peoples army's. Force them to split up their units to fight different threats at once. Make them overextend so they can't focus down any of our stuff. Will make are troops way more survivable.

It will also depend on how it's worded but replacing a unit would heal it and remove any debuffs currently on it as well. If it holds up, that ability would become silly

Seraphage and Wazz like this.
  5. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Have to remember the sunfire throwers are only 8" though, but with a wall of skinks in the way you are safe from charges at least lol.

6. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Have a skink alpha on the stegadon, teleport then use the d6 movement. Closer for the flame throwers and charge and also rerolling 1s to hit

Seraphage likes this.
  7. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

I almost forget you can NOT take a skink alpha. I figured they were pretty much always taken.

8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Daym strong tactic spotted.

Wazz likes this.
  9. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Wait, you always get a Skink Alpha on the Stegadon right?

If so, then that is an amazing tactic! :D

Wazz likes this.
  10. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

11. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

So wait, you can take either the Balista or the bow, and then ALSO the Skink Alpha right?

Wazz likes this.
  12. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Yes you can, you're welcome! Haha time to start thinking about the units we don't use, especially if there are point drops

Wazz likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I often use the Skink Alpha and it is really great, since the extra 1d6 move can either make the Stegadon itself move a bit better, or it can be used on other Skink units, which includes Troglodons, who potentially get a great mice then, or it might just give a Bastiladon the extra move to get into range.
    Great ability.

About the teleporting thing: I am not yet sure what to think about it. It is interesting but I think I'd rather have something else and hope we get some other viable options.
    Also spell lore like the Sylvaneth have is needed. We have such good casters and such mediocre spells.

Edit: oh and if you don't have to do the teleporting at the start of the hero phase you can buff the Stega with Celestial Rites and mystic shield before you teleport it, so you can reroll charges and saves and also improved the saves by one.
    ...and as part of a Thunderquake it will even heal a wound in the next turn...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Dimitris and Wazz like this.
  14. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

I like that idea, and I Hope that we can use that ability in the hero phase!

Also I agree, we REALLY need a new spell lore!

Captaniser, Aginor and Wazz like this.
  15. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

Guys handlers and salamanders count as different units?so I can t teleport that two units together right?

Captaniser likes this.
  16. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

Ye i have red the answer in this post:)
    Immagine haevenswatch battalion:Unfortunatly I have to deploy handlers too because they are part of battalion. But if I have points, I can summon another unit of handlers (40 pts) near Sally telepored. That mean I can reroll 1s hit / wounds when Sally shoot ( for the battalion) . That's amazing!!!!!:)

Captaniser likes this.
  17. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Did anyone clock the hint that we might be able to cast spells more than once? Saw it in this narrative gameplay scenario. Read the bit about the spell "Wildform", it says, "Casting this spell more than once on the same unit has no additional effect." Spell only lasts till next hero phase so must mean that spell can be cast more than once. Could be just for this scenario but it doesn't mention anything about this spell being able to be cast more than once, it just heavily implies it can be which makes me think there's been a revision to the rule of one.

Captaniser likes this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

Well, in narrative play there are no rules of one, so that's no difference to the situation right now.

Captaniser likes this.
  19. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

And I think I saw somewhere that GW had no intention of modifying said rule of one. Well we know they are adding some, but no intentions of changing the old ones. I might be mistaken though, can't remember where I've seen that.

Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  20. Aginor
    Slann

I don't remember exactly, but that's how I understood it as well. No changes to the core rules and the existing RoO stay as well.

Captaniser and Xasto like this.