1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multibases o_0?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by ericb, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ericb
    Skink

ericb New Member

So I've just returned to the world of Warhammer and looking through July's White Dwarf issue, I noticed a lot of the minis were put on multi-figure bases. So there was maybe 3 or 4 skeleton warriors on a single wide base...

Esthetically speaking, they look fantastic, but how in the world would that work during gameplay? I'm specifically thinking about how you would handle remove casualties.

Am I missing something or were those just for show and aren't practical for gameplay?

2. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

People use them in gaming all the time, usually on weak troops that die fast.
    Basically, insert a larger base into your units, much like the krox and slaan fit into our units already. And use these bigger bases to create mini dioramas in your units, makes the rank and file look more interesting,
    Best one I saw was one the what's new today section of the gw site, was a night goblin unit with a cave squiggly being netted by the goblins, was very cool,

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That is interesting. The thought of a mini diorama is intriguing. What units of Lizardmen do you guys think could benefit from this?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well 2 saurus bases are exactly the size of one calvery base...

5. ericb
    Skink

ericb New Member

Well, now that you mention it. I suppose I'm looking at it from a perspective of only having exactly the amount of minis needed to put on the field.. (just getting back into things and i'm broke :p). I guess in most scenario's you would happen to have a few models laying around, and even if you don't, as long as you don't put all your minis on the multi-bases you could just swap the multi base for some of your already off-field casualties from the unit.

Having said that... I think I'm totally going to build some of mine on multi base.

Thanks guys :)

6. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

Anything that ranks up really,
    Skinks and krox springs to mind, would love to see a big type front rank diorama,
    Using the big screaming bell base maybe,

Saurus maybe, placing the second rank between the models in the first rAnk with spears pointing through
    SSSSSSSS
    .SSSSSSS

Skirmishers would work well,
    Having them semi submerged in a smallish pond would be cool.

Just important to have spares for when they die
    Or make sure you can take normals before the dioramas,
    It works well for things like zombies or skinks, which are removed in large numbers anyway,

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

If you look at my army in the painting section you will see
    the Saurus Standard bearer and musician I put on one base,
    Why those guys you might ask, well those are usualy the last two to die
    and standard bearers are allways falling over, I figured the extra weight might help.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I have one that pitches forward like he has vertigo!

9. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

Really any kind of variation works well.
    I've always thought hordes especially benefit from multiple banners in the rear ranks, breaks up the monotony of the unit,

Hmmm,,, some jungle swarms hanging around the flanks of a unit would be cool too,
    Maybe have a monster base,
    JJ
    JS
    Something like that.

10. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

Well the first thing that springs to mind would be saurus warriors but they look so ranked and disciplined that a multibase scene would be out of place imo.

To stabilise the standard beared, you can glue some plasticcard below the base and have the models around him stand on that plastic card, that way their weight keeps him down.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I superglue small metal washers under the base of anything thats unstable.

There was a thread a while ago about unit fillers, and someone mentioned for a saurus unit a 50x50mm base being filled up by a totem or holy stone that the saurus are dragging into battle. Pretty cool idea nad saves you 4 models.

12. Vilicate
    Saurus

Vilicate New Member

I've had some good success with unit fillers in the past - I think the key to to making them acceptable is not to skimp on the models and make sure that it looks like you've actually spent more time on the unit filler than one the equivalent models it's place takes up.

I was going to try and find the picture of my ghoul one that I had on some of their Las Vegas GT coverage, but that appears to have disappeared from their site.

13. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Where can you buy multi-bases from, or do you have to make one?

14. Vilicate
    Saurus

Vilicate New Member

The sell regimental bases can be bought at the GW website.

Most of the unit placers you have to make yourself.