1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cak handed attempt at lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Axolotyl, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

I first made it a whole circle but I didn't look quite right, I spent twenty minutes at my local pet shop holding tortoises and turtles befor I realised that they are like rectangle with rounded corners! So I came back and added a bit to each side near the bottom and it gives more of a shell vibe.
    Knowing what I know now, I may in the future revisit this model with a shell totem tied to a staff, but for now it will have to stay the same, I have 30 skinks, 2 priests and 3 Cham skinks to paint! Oh the joy!

2. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I feel the same way about my models, through i have quite a bit more to paint.

I ends up in a sort of compromise for me between quality and function.

Think i have more than 150 mini's left that needs painting.

3. Fleetfiend
    Saurus

Fleetfiend Member

Wow, I ADORE your conversions. Nice warpaint as well!

4. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Nice job man! :meh:
    Keep it up (would love to see more Chameleon Skinks :D )

Gorgosaurus

:beaver:

5. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Thank you for the kind words, i will hopefully be doing a few skink units soon!

Well when I get a few more skinks painted I can justify buying a new box of skinks, which will lead to two more chameleon skinks, and two new skinks chiefs!

I also acquired a trogolodon! So I will probably do some conversion work on him, and convert the spare neck/head into a T. rex head for my next carnosaur kit :)

6. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Cool

Gorgosaurus

7. angrybear
    Jungle Swarm

angrybear New Member

Awesome paint log! I really enjoyed reading it. Your conversions are absolutely brilliant. The saurus warrior colours are also really striking. Looking forward to your troglodon.

8. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Hello guys! So yes over Christmas I have been far too busy and not been near a paint brush, fortunately, this sorry state of affairs has come to an end!

I got a trogolodon kit! Happy days! There is a problem, I'm not 100% happy with either version!

So the Trog, it dosent seem right, a giant blundering bipedal predator with really fine easy to break tusks!

The solution? Well I kinda like the idea of him being an aquatic or shoreline predator, kinda like a Baryonyx dinosaur! This guy is a WIP because I'm gonna get a second kit to make a carnosaur, but when I do the trog is gonna get a cracking tail fin, webbed hands, eyes, no tusks! I may even make a skink rider to match!

What you lookin at?
    image_zps7be2b896.jpg
    image_zpsd439f606.jpg

The tail, try to imagine it being widened at either side, this is what I have so far!
    image_zps089bf931.jpg

Them lizards from Lustria, they be inbred, they got webbed toes!
    image_zps6b385ad6.jpg

Now for the carno! Yes I have a WIP of the carnosaur that I haven't bought yet! The trog kit is kind enough to give you a spare neck to work with!

image_zps306f70a7.jpg

Well as ever, comments, suggestions, and yes even criticisms are welcome! After all these will wb big centre piece models I want them to look great :)

Thanks for watching and being patient, and a big welcome to the new readers!

9. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Love the Trog. The eyes and brows really give him personality! Honestly, I'm going to steal your webbed toes idea. Can't wait to see how the tail turns out.

10. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Will this be your carnosaur or troglodon? If it is a troglodon you mesh up the fluff, troglodons suppose to have no eyes so it would be a waste i think! Nevertheless Awesome sculpting!!:)

11. angrybear
    Jungle Swarm

angrybear New Member

I like the carnosaur head but I feel it needs some more menacing details. At the moment I got more of a wolf head feel of it. Maybe some scales can work? I think looking at the head of the upcoming dread saurian (which head looks like a T-rex) can help you a bit.

12. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Uhm, I did say I didn't like the idea of it as a cave dweller, so I made it shoreline/aquatic, there wouldn't be enough food in a cave system to support such a huge predator, let alone one with really breakable tusks on its face!

Think about it this way, it lurks in the water, eating fish etc, something tasty walks by on land, Poison Spit Attack! Wait until the victim des and drag it back into the water, store it there to decompose a bit and eat at will, no competition with other super predators like the carnosaur!

As for the actual carnosaur, he's still WIP, I agree he needs more, more teeth, more scales and spines, maybe a few scars, I do intend to give it armour and glyphs hung on it, it's just there's only so long you can sculpt for before you risk ruining what you have already done! I have come to realise that I may have to sculpt new legs, so that they are long enough, and definitely new fore arms as these are waaaaaay too big!

I can see me wanting two Troglodons, or as I see them Amaxodons, and possibly three carnosaurs, just for modelling ideas! Keep watching for dinosaur goodness!

13. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

New improved carnosaur, now with lower jaw!!!!!

image_zps03b4b22d.jpg

14. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

I am a carnosaur, hear me roar! Also watch as I take over my owners life as I force him to keep sculpting!

image_zps0ba94dfe.jpg

Yes folks, it's becoming an obsession! I've also got to sculpt the other side of his face.......

15. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Also become very good though ;)

16. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I heard the roar.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this looks like with some of the rough areas filed down etc.

Although I must agree with a comment earlier in regards to the trogladon's design being that it is a blind monster without eyes :)

17. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Love how you are making the Troglodon a Baryonyx-type thing! Nice conversion on the head as well!

18. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

BTW : on the troglodon thingy, i think the GW painting team misconstrued what i think the designers idea was.

I never saw the "tusks" as "tusks" it is pointless as you said to have tusks when you're livin underground - i lack an english word for it, but several species have long hairs to feel their surrounding and their vibrations. I very much imagine the "tusks" to be those hairs. It's the only sensible thing - on that note, i think the GW painter did a great job, but the boney look of these hairs is simply silly, it makes absolutely no sense, and i don't even think the potrusions of the "tusks" defend that standpoint.

Just my 2 cents :) i am defo painting mine the same color or brighter than the skin.

19. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

The English word is "whiskers". Also, I agree that is probably how the troglodon would use those protrusions.

20. Centurion
    Skink

Centurion New Member

The act of using whiskers is known as 'whisking' :). Whisker like tendrils on fish (e.g. catfish) are called Barbels, so maybe that's what they are supposed to be? I must admit I assumed they were sensory organs rather than horns or spines.