1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS My first army list idea

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Sirchomp, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

hey guys, i recently wanted to start a age of sigamr seraphon army (will be my first time going into these type of board games).
    so far i visted a local shop and bought the seraphon battletome.

now my idea for my starting army would be:

1 Slann Starmaster 260p
    Eternal Starhost 130p
    1 Eterinity Warden 140p​
    3 units of 5 Saurus Guards 300p​
    1 Troglodon 180p

this would resault in a army that cost 1010 points
    would this be a good start to bring to the table? if i understand in correctly if i stay clsoe enough to the wardne it should buff the guards pretty damm hard. only problem would proably be that is slow to get around and objective games will probaly be hard aswell.
    also will it be a problem if i am 10 points over the limit? if so i shall try out a other set up.

annyway thanks for reading! i shall eagerly await you guys reply

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Yeah that list would work against many armies and I think many opponents won't mind the extra ten points, especially when playing a beginner.
    It is a bit problematic concerning a few aspects though: you don't have many wounds, so everything with high rend or mortal wounds will tear through it like through paper. A Slann and the Eternal Starhost in a 1k list is a big risk in that regard.

Also keep in mind that you cannot spread that army over the board since it relies on everything staying closely together.

Captaniser likes this.
  3. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

Yeah your rigjt on the low wound count. I kinda hope the -1 rend ingoring shields and the high armor save of 3 or 2+ keep them alive. The starhost is up to change if needed. But a slann is just too damm good looking not to get even for this low points. My idea fpr the army was basicaly a slann and his guards. Used the left over points to get a troglodon in.

Captaniser likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

It sure is a cool and fluffy army that might do nicely in many friendly games, I am sure. On a competitive level I'd say it will get trashed though.

Example: My Deathrattle army will have a hard time against it.
    ...while this SCE list will probably kill it in two rounds:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
    Lord-Celestant
    (100)
    - General
    Lord-Castellant (100)
    Lord-Relictor (80)
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Allies

Battleline
    5 x Liberators
    (100)
    - Warhammers
    5 x Liberators (100)
    - Warhammers

Units
    5 x Paladin Retributors
    (220)
    - 2x Starsoul Maces
    5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
    - 2x Starsoul Maces

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1000 / 1000
    Allies: 80 / 200

EDIT: Ok I guess that's unfair, that SCE list will probably kill almost any list there is in 1K. It merely serves as an example of a list that causes a ridiculous amount of mortal wounds without putting much work in it.

5. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

Mabye i should drop the starhost and its units for something els. What do you think would work?

Captaniser likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

against that SCE list? I don't think we have anything at 1k that works against it.
    Some of our resident tactics experts could maybe come up with something though.

Otherwise.... for 1k maybe go for a few Skinks? Hard to tell what could work without breaking your nice fluffy theme. :(

Captaniser likes this.
  7. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

I could try and remove the troglodon for a unit or 2 of skinks. I go check it out when i am home

Captaniser likes this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

Skinks do add some wounds, some shooting, and objective claiming abilities, so that wouldn't be a bad option I think.

Captaniser likes this.
  9. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

i checked the numbers and for 180 points i can get a unit of 30 skinks. that worth the trade off whit the troglodon?

10. Aginor
    Slann

An interesting question.
    30 is not ideal because you miss out on the horse bonus and you lose the hit bonus if you lose one Skink.
    Defensively I'd say it is worth it because you get 30 wounds instead of 12 even though the save is worse.
    Offensively... I think you do more wounds with the Troglodon if it is healthy and you have a Starpriest to buff it, otherwise the Skinks should win there too. I haven't done the math though as I am not at home right now.

11. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

How would 4 razordobs be for range? Or 3 razordons and 3 skink handerls?

12. Aginor
    Slann

Razordons are pretty cool but they also lack wounds. Good shooting though if you can get in range (or trick you opponent into getting into range).

13. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

Your right i shall consider the skinks or the troglodon. A other qeustion: this list should allowe me 2 artifscts and a triat for my slann. I was thinking of giving my warden the -1 rend artifact and my slann the prism. But i am struggling whit my trait. Since a slann cam obaly try to stop the enemy mage from casting and mortal wounds counter my list. I thought that the trait to reroll 1s for casting and despelling ( forgot the term sorry. The way to stop the enemy to cast) would be good for this list. But the trait that gives me 2 extra spells too choice from sounds nice aswell ( curse and starlight spells) what you think?

14. Aginor
    Slann

IMO the Eternity Warden profits quite well from the following artefacts:
    - Coronal Shield. That way you can prevent enemy units from rolling sixes, so for example Bloodletters cannot do mortal wounds on you anymore. It helps keeping the Warden and near Guards units alive.
    - Prism of Amyntok: If you just have to do that 1-2 wounds more to get rid of something.
    - Blade of Realities: One rend more makes him hit harder. Yeah not bad.

As for the Slann, IMO all traits are cool, I prefer the the double teleport trait and the Skink spells trait.
    I am not sure teleporting would be very useful for your list (depends on the battleplan though) so I would probably go for the spells.
    The reroll 1 trait... yeah it is nice but tactically it isn't a game changer because none of the Slann's spells are so important that you lose if you fail casting them.

Artefact for the Slann? Prism if you think he will get into range, otherwise I would probably go for Incandescent Rectrices to make him survive being sniped by something.

15. Sirchomp
    Skink

Sirchomp New Member

Kay thanks for all the advice i got a decent picture of what to do. Think i stick whot the troglodon but only because i can make that out the starter set. Slann will get Incandescent Rectrices and the warden the extra rend one.
    Thanks for your advice!