1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My lizardmen army (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by jochemvh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

I decided to take some photos of the painted parts of my lizardmen army.
    and i will keep adding photos as more parts will be done.

my 2 salamanders, i still want a third one, but the old models are hard to find these days.

salamanders.jpg

two skink priest, placed the left one on a resin base i bought online, looks pretty good.
    and i love that feather coat, to bad there aren't more models with that look, i think it really gives a good tropical jungle vibe for the skinks.

skinkpriest.jpg

My unit terradons, bases are 40mm with rocks made from chunks of treebark. and i added a lot of plants to hide the transparent flying mounts. i also ordered Tictaq'to tonight. maybe i'll add an extra one for a unit of five later on.

terradons.jpg

Kroxigors, still the old models. might buy some of the new ones, they are really fierce. or just one to use as an ancient.

kroxigors.jpg

Jungle swarms, with lots of plants.

swarmbig.jpg

Skink chief and my Slann mage priest.

skinkchief.jpg

slann.jpg

Engine of the Gods.

engineofthegods.jpg

Warden likes this.
  2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Cool, I love the orange color scheme. It's different from the usual blues and greens. The bases are looking really good, too. It looks like you're using a lot of aquarium plants.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

They all look great! The highlighting on the orange looks really good closeup.

4. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

thansk for the comments, and i do use a lot of terrarium plants for my lizzies.
    it gives them a nice jungle feel.
    GW one are very expensive, but these i got really cheap at an exotic pet store.
    4 bags of different plants for under 10 euros, and that gives me enough plants to do 10k point lizzy army easily :D

I choose the orange because everybody i knew was doing them in green, blue or red already.
    there's few people who take an original colorscheme and go with it.
    Since the new book is out, there's more people doing it thankfully, it gives a much nicer look on the table when you get all kinds of cool new color ideas and themes. and lizzies are an army that you can expiriment with without it looking weird or ridiculous.

5. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

My lizardmen army (update)

Finished my scar veteran today.

scarvet1.jpg

scarvet2.jpg

scarvet3.jpg

used a micro art resin base to make him stand out, even when he's incorporated in a unit.

Warden likes this.
  6. strewart
    OldBlood

He looks pretty cool, not so sure about the brown scales though..

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

It looks like they could use a bit more highlighting. I'm guessing that they're painted with Scorched Brown? You could use some Bestial Brown and Vermin Brown.

8. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

scorhed brown with a light calthan brown highlight.
    might go back to him and add another highlight of vermin.

also finished my prophet of sotek this morning.
    this easter weekend is turning out pretty good, finished 2 models allready :jawdrop:

tehenhauin.jpg

update:

managed to take the pics of the rest of my painted army.

my skink units.

skinkblowpipe.jpg

skinksjavelin.jpg

chameleon skinks.

chameleonskinks.jpg

and my old style stegadon, converted the model so it would look charging/climbing over a rock.
    had to saw the hind legs in half and reposition them. added the kneepads to cover up the extensive greenstuff that went into rebuilding the knees. also had to change position of the tail as it was touching the floor after i changed the back legs.
    also the head was tilted a bit to make it more natural. added adornments to the horns and changed the old metal shields for the current plastic ones to tie it together with the rest of the army.

stegadonfront.jpg

stegadonleftside.jpg

stegadonrightside.jpg

Warden likes this.
  9. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

Update: My lizardmen army (pic heavy)

This week i received my Carnosaur and was able to pic up Tiktaq'to and Chakax at the local GW store in rotterdam.
    Started putting the carno together thursday and painting the beast yesterday and today finished Lord Kroq-Gar. had to remove the standardpole, as it was prone to break anyway. Also used a large scenic resin base i had lying around.

carnosaur.jpg

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Lookin' good! I really like what you've done with your Stegadon. Are those bits from the COR box? The Carno looks good as well.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

Mm that carnosaur looks cool, and I like the steg on the rock base.

12. Leviathan
    Jungle Swarm

Leviathan New Member

Impressive converting and scenery work, in particular the oldschool stegadon. How did you make that rock? Had a real nostaliga trip from those old salamanders. Pitty they just dont make em like that anymore.

13. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

The rocks are made from tree bark, just like the jungle plants i bought a bag of tree bark for terrarium use a while ago cheaply. the stuff is easy to break down to size, and after a black undercoat easy to paint.
    just make sure you dust the pieces with an old toothbrush or such, before spraycoating it. otherwise the undercoat won't stick properly. glue them with wood/hobby glue.

also good for making jungle terrain pieces, you can drill holes in it and stick plastic plants in them.

14. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

jungleterrain3.jpg

jungleterrain1.jpg

jungleterrain2.jpg

Warden likes this.
  15. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow, cool looking bases.

16. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Thats some really cool scenery/ bases/ things that you've got there.

17. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

How did you manage to paint them that well???? :jawdrop:

18. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

i dusted off the bark with a toothbrush, than undercoated them with chaos black (think layer)
    drybrushed them with codex grey, and than a lighter drybrushing with fortress grey.
    thats it really, bases are plasticard with modelling sand, undeercoated black and drybrushed with scorched brown, hightlighted with a bleached bone drybrush (lightly) and plants added

19. J.J.
    Skink

J.J. New Member

The bark is a fantastic idea for rocks - the texture really gives you a great rock-like appearance when its drybrushed. Congrats on a great idea and execution. One question - how durable is the bark? I'd be worried about it chipping/breaking easily during transport. Any experience with that yet?

20. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

If you soak it with a water/glue combo a couple of times it becomes more durable then pink foam.