1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW My Slann is going to be taking

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by discomute, Feb 29, 2024.

?

My Slann will be taking...

1. High Magic

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Elementalism

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Necromancy

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Illusion

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Battle Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

What magic are we liking at this stage...

2. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Wandering Deliberations =)

3. discomute
    Terradon

Really?!? But all the signature spells are garbage. What 4 are you chasing?

4. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It may be ok but you need a good tactic ;)

personally I prefer arcane familiar and block the enemies view with 1-2 spells. The daemons bolt isn’t that bad but I prefer windblast

5. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

You are getting not 4 spells - but 6. Then you change 1 or 2 - to the Lore of Lustria (monsoon). And all of them should be used as much as possible, all 6 every turn (as now it's just 2d6, and other is no Wind of Magic strength and limited amount of dices).
    Almost all of them are at least ok, but there is one disadvantage - some require to be a part of a unit to be effective - for example Glittering Robe. That should be solved with a Skink Priest and Arcane Vassal rule.
    I can't say that this will be ideal all the time, Signature Spells are not powerful at all. But, Wandering Deliberations is a decent choice for the reasons that I described.

6. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

You have to choose 4 spells and may change 1 to your own signature spell. That’s it. You cannot change 2.

“Instead of generating spells normally, this character knows four signature spells, chosen from the following Lores of Magic:”

To use arcane conduit for the illusion spell is just a waste imho

7. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

If it's just 4 - you are right =(
    But I think Glittering is an awesome spell for your Temple Guards block.

8. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

A wasted one imho....then better chotecs banner. You have to play offensive with 300 points mage. Not only defensive.

discomute likes this.
  9. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

I prefer elementalism because it works well combined with other parts of the army:

Plague of Rust for the -2 AS that works on shooting AND can be cast on a unit in CC; cast it on an advancing unit; shoot stuff at it and then cast it again when it gets into combat.

Earthen Ramparts works well on a unit of Saurus Warriors or Temple Guard with their stats. I like marching one turn and then advancing with this spell cast on them. They are slow regardless so they are hard to get into the CC of your choice. And if your opponent wants the points they are going to have to charge it anyway.

Important note: both these spells last until next Start of Turn sub-phase, so during both your turn AND the opponents turn.

Wind Blast is one of our (imo) best counters vs heavy cavalry and especially if you can combine this with Plague of Rust. Chuck this through an Arcane Vassal to remove the range issue.

Flaming Sword is pretty damn bad, regardless if its an Assailment or not so I would never pick this spell. Summon Elemental Spirit is OK but imo our Monsoon is better (larger template, larger blocking of LOS and sometimes you might get lucky with Drenched); Travel Mystical Pathway seems OK but I am not sure how well it would work. Signature Spell isn't horrible but imo isn't going to impact us as much because we already have a low I and M. Can't be cast into CC either

Keep in mind I run my Slann with Lore Companion and for now I will be picking Plague of Rust, Earthen Ramparts, Wind Blast and Monsoon most of the time.

10. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I quote everything you said, but I’ll add that Summon Elemental Spirit is a great spell of enemy have many units near each other. With one spell you can potentially hit 2-3 targets. And the blast move before they move!
    Could you please explain what earth ramparts do? I understand that is pretty good but not really searched the rules on it

11. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Earthen Ramparts gives a unit a 5+ Ward Save and they count as defending a low linear obstacle BUT they cannot charge or march (cast before movement phase).

12. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

So ethereal BATTLE SLANN with battle magic for HAMMER HANDS meme build?

13. discomute
    Terradon

Earthen Ramparts definitely good for trying to defend a dragon charge. I like Necromancy the most. We will be heavy on terror with probably some fear. Anything that's -3 leadership and can't use general is going to be very suspect to it. Their template spell is 5 inches and difficult terrain, you can see through it unfortunately but should be able to work some distractions of behemoths. Their magic missile will rip through heavy cav. And -1 WS, -1t is a damn good hex. I don't think I'd end up with monsoon .

SimeonHash likes this.
  14. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

The low linear obstacle is still obscure to me, have to read it on rules..

15. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Higher State of Mind; Illusion, Lore Familiar, Ogre Blade / Blade of Revered Tzunki; BSB and a War Banner for static res.

Pick Spectral Doppelganger, get him in CC and hope for the best :p

PlasmaDavid likes this.
  16. Niezck
    Skink

Niezck New Member

I think it essentially means any charges against them count as disordered, i.e. no initiative bonus.

Kalisto likes this.
  17. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Sincerely I am tempted to try this build but then I think that

1) you cannot dispel in melee
    2) for the nearly the same points cost you get a skink priest you can get an oldlord with the same blade and more resistance that a slann (although no same mobility)
    3) doppelgänger is 2d6 auto hits, a lot yes, but you cast it at 5+ and can be dispelled as every spell (if you are not by yourself in melee with their only caster). I may understand with killing blow/dragon slayer sword either no sense. You oldlord will have 6 attacks in charge and 1 more Strength anyway.
    4) you have no other really good spells in illusions
    5) you make no fear/terror and have a really low unit strength, due that high risk to flee against bigger enemies (and nearly everyone with multiple wounds make fear and have higher strength unit

18. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Was thinking… if you want to try it do it with the fear standard…

19. discomute
    Terradon

Both fear effects only triggers if you have a higher unit strength. Additionally, it does not change "terror" to "fear" like it did in 8th (although possible RAI is that it is supposed to, but it does not).

Fear is actually going to be fairly minor I predict.

Also, I personally think the was single best spell we have access to is crystal column. It will block those dragons and shooters like nothing else.

20. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Really doesn’t change effect? o.o sorry thought it was as before …

if you lose CR and they are 6 unit strength you have 400 points fleeing automatically (plus different other bonuses)… sincerely I don’t like it

crystal column is amazing… but on paper. You have to be within 9” of a dragon charging 19 potentially… so not going to work well…