1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW My Slann is going to be taking

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by discomute, Feb 29, 2024.

?

My Slann will be taking...

1. High Magic

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Elementalism

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Necromancy

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Illusion

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Battle Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

With the Ogre Blade and a Talisman of protection, odds are about 4:3 that an old blood on carno beats a Tomb King on Necrolith Dragon (with the standard kit) in combat. ~10 strength 7 attacks that all do D3 wounds can kill just about anything, even with armour of ages making you reroll successful wounds.

For greater clarity, 4:3 odds are around a 57% win rate.

2. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Without helm of badazzling to everyone …

3. RipperDerek
    Razordon

You have a higher chance of beating him if he has bedazzling helm. The Armour of Ages is a better defensive item, as well as being cheaper and giving him more points for other magic items as well, and protecting him from Monster Slayer. And he can't take both.

Kalisto likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Does "standard kit" mean no magic items or lots of magic items
    Also what about blade of Tzunki?

5. RipperDerek
    Razordon

It means Armour of Ages, Talisman of Protection, Great Weapon or sometimes Sword of Might, which is how I usually see him kitted out. Some people also use the sword that heals him but it is much worse.

Blade of Tzunki is the next best performer, I don't remember the percentages off the top of my head but it was slightly under 50%. Dragon Slayer sword is like 70% to win unless he has Armour of Ages, which they always seem to, in which case it drops way down, to the point that its worse than the other two swords.

Kalisto and discomute like this.
  6. discomute
    Terradon

Thanks.i just heard a podcast which mentioned the power of two level 4 wizards. Nothing I'd considered... But twin Necro Slann interest me. It's probably not feasible but placing a steg or trog in the middle with two wizards behind giving up to -6 leadership for those terror checks...

7. RipperDerek
    Razordon

I don't think it's possible to take 2 slann in any size army, they are just a 0-1 choice regardless of point limit :(

8. discomute
    Terradon

9. SimeonHash
    Skink

SimeonHash New Member

Also you can't cast same spell on single unit and get the cumulative result...

10. SimeonHash
    Skink

SimeonHash New Member

IMO Blade of Tzunki is great sword for dragons but we are lacking in defense ... The point is to stay alive as much as possible for Carnosaurus to do something with Ws3 4 (5 if u charge) attacks ... with points invested in defence you get 2-3 rounds , with Tzunki you are more offensive can do more damage but you can stay alive for 1-2 rounds.... Stomp attacks with most dragons are devastating for us ...

11. saga
    Jungle Swarm

saga New Member

Sure is a lot of talk about dragons without any mention of magic in here :p

For all those favoring elementalism, does it just come down to the strength of Plague of Rust? I see High Magic as consistent moderate utility spread across the lore without any huge standouts, which seems valuable considering how many dud spells are available in the other lores, even when factoring in lore familiar. Thoughts?

discomute likes this.
  12. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Well, I was thinking about a stratrgy involving #6 of elementalism. Casting it on salamanders to put them on the side of an enemy unit and fire flames onto them.
    I also like #4 because it really forces the enemy to charge without rows or be charged by me ^^

Kalisto and discomute like this.
  13. discomute
    Terradon

Elementialism has one dud. Necromancy 2.5. High has 2. At least that's my take.

14. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Elementalism offer a strong vortex and a strong magic bolt, more spells to be more versatile on the battlefield.

imho the biggest weakness of high magic is that you cannot take moonson if you want to take drain magic. The vortex is strong but can even go completely wrong and with new bigger bases not sure how many will be automatically hitted (comparing to the automatically d3+3 hits of elementalism vortex just if it “touch” the unit).

The only really good thing is the possibility to cast ethereal in temple guards with a sorcerer inside them. But maybe I prefer no skink caster or maybe just one on a stegadon

15. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Sorry no English mother language here, what do you mean with dud??

16. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

It means whats the next post is saying ..U

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  17. RipperDerek
    Razordon

"Dud," in this context, means a bad spell that adds little or no value.

Kalisto likes this.
  18. discomute
    Terradon

Yes sorry I meant one spell you simply don't want. I think that's the strength of elementalism. I'm taking necromancy but I think you need a lore familiar and you need to build a list that has at least 2 terror causing (and 3 is better) and some fear to be worthwhile. Elementalism is so strong because you're walking away with four useful spells, even if one is monsoon.

19. saga
    Jungle Swarm

saga New Member

Elementalism is very good, and may be "better" than High Magic. I voted High Magic because my heart demanded it.

Let's talk some assumptions and comparisons.

We are probably taking Lore Familiar to pick spells.
    I value spells that I can / want to cast nearly every turn of the game.
    The assailments are both not worth taking on the Slann.
    OH GOD I JUST REALIZED THAT WALK BETWEEN WORLDS IS TARGET SELF. That really tanks the utility on the Slann. I like the look of Travel Mystical Pathway, but given its short casting range and what it does, how many targets will I have and how often will I use this? Still, It could be very useful if built around.
    Plague of Rust is much better than Fury of Khaine. However, +1 Attacks for one combat (in your turn) is very good. I honestly think the argument is whether the other 3 spells we take can make up the difference in value collectively.
    We will probably always take Monsoon over Tempest and Summon Elemental Spirit. An argument could be made for taking two of these three or for taking none.
    Earthen Rampart is much better than Shield of Saphery only if we are OK with the no marching / charging limitation. However, Shield of Saphery is always useful.
    I am honestly unsure of how to compare Fiery Convocation with Wind Blast. I think they are both very good and it would be hard to be unhappy with either. They sort of prefer different targets, Wind Blast is probably more consistent but over the course of a game its hard for me to gauge the impact. Any thoughts?
    I think Drain Magic is a trap. Your opponent has TWO opportunities to dispel before the effect would impact them. Can anyone see the utility of taking Storm Call over other options?
    There are plenty more thoughts to toss out there, but I will wrap up for now.

My gut is still that High Magic is a perfectly acceptable lore to choose because it gives you good enough options that are not tremendously dependent on your army list or the exact board state. You will want another attack. You will want a ward. You will want to burn something with fire. You will want to block LOS and slow down / deter movement.

20. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Tempest doesn’t block LOS only moonson do or other vortex from battle magic/elementalism.
    Tempest is really good against everything not flying however and will block lot of charges