1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Named characters and artefacts

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Xuil, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

I’m unclear whether we could use Mystical Unforging on named characters?

The Core Rulebook defines named characters as having ‘their own artefacts of power’ (page 242), but the warscrolls don’t define where (even obviously item-linked) abilities count as ‘artefacts’.

Is there an accepted ruling?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Interesting question.
    I don't think their equipment (and the abilities granted by it) would be affected, but i don't recall any specific ruling

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it wont have any impact beside the MW output. As you mentioned, nowhere on the warscroll does it indicate if said ability is an artefact or not. As such, I would guess the whole part of Named Characters having their own artefacts is purely fluff.

ILKAIN and LizardWizard like this.
  4. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

I suspect the items wouldn’t be affected and wouldn’t argue it more strongly! I did wonder though, because it specifically was allowed for the WHFB equivalent in ‘High Magic’.

I think more interestingly, it’s not clear if we can even target them. It’s a requirement of the spell that the hero carries an artefact. For the sake of another D3 MW snipe, that core book sentence is quite interesting.

Grotpunter and LizardWizard like this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I don't see how you have interpreted that spell to make carrying an item a requirement of being targeted by it.

6. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I never really thought about it until now but the spell reads "... pick 1 enemy Hero that bears an artefact of power within 12" ...".

That does feel like a condition for the spell - Not only must it be a Hero, but also one that bears an artefact? Never seen a rule like that before though.

7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I don't have my book on me at work, if that's the case the spell is definitely conditional for casting

8. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

That's how I've always read it.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Don't think you can target named heroes as they can't carry artifacts and artifacts in this context are purely a matter of gameplay to indicate if they have a special item not on their warscoll. Stuff that's on your warscroll doesn't count as artifacts for the purposes of gameplay even if in universe it might be a thousand year old artifact grafted by the gods.

Also @NIGHTBRINGER: 2