1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Naming your Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Quillum, May 25, 2009.

1. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

:D :D :D
    This is great, I now have wonderful names such as "Adohi-adohi of the Monument of the Sun" and "Tzakrox of Zlatlan" and "Ankha-uax of Itza" which I am sure is some sort of joke...

Edit: got another gem of a name, 'Xlchicc of Xuhua Lake" (pronunciation o_O )

Warden likes this.
  2. Angaturama
    Skink

Angaturama Member

I named my Slann Qaqopaquchli. I don't know where I got the name from. Just make it up I guess!!!

3. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Okay, each book has a bunch of words and translations. If you look at it, every lizardman's name consists of one of those words and a random sound, e.g Kroq-Gar There is no meaning for kroq, but Gar means 'attack'
    Masdamundi There is no meaning for Masda but Mundi means 'of the world/natural'

So I give my Lizardmen names using that, whilst geeping them pronouncable
    e.g Boqtlan Tlan has no meaning, Boq means 'weapon/hurt/hit'
    all my lizzies use this system

n810 likes this.
  4. KROQ-GAR and GRYMLOQ
    Saurus

KROQ-GAR and GRYMLOQ Member

You can use a website to generate names for your lizardmen: http://www.tabletopwar.com/namegen_liz.php?mp=0
    but in my opinion it doesn't give your lizardmen or seraphon (whichever you prefer) a personal identity and feel and thet is why i use mayan/aztec words and assemble them together to create more personal identities for my lizardmen/seraphon. i have attached a file with some helpful words for names and there are tons of other references out on the web which you can use.

Attached Files:

5. KROQ-GAR and GRYMLOQ
    Saurus

I for one call my army the fangs of sotek or the wrath of Ixcimi

6. William Jackson
    Skink

William Jackson Member

I don't need no aztec names! well, for my tau empire at least- i've given them names such as weeny todd, beast master joe, ETC...

PhoenixTheCat likes this.
  7. KROQ-GAR and GRYMLOQ
    Saurus

it sounds a bit unprofessional but who am i to judge your name selection

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Personally I am a fan of the Mayan/Aztec names. I used several Mayan inspired names for some of my characters. Most of the stuff I found is actually from some books, but also readily available on the internet thanks to Wikipedia!

List of Mayan Gods names with meanings:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Maya_gods_and_supernatural_beings

List of the Aztec Emperors, also some great names:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_emperors_family_tree

Also saw some random mayan name generators using a google search that looked interesting.

Thanks for the High Saurian guide n810, it is a wealth of awesome information!

n810 likes this.
  10. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I searched a picture on the internet with some words in mayan and their translation to english and came up with my Slann´s name: K´utz´am. It means Sacred (k´u) throne (tz´am). I´m in love with it because, well, Slann go to war on big flying seats :cool:.
    This is the list I found:
    • Ahaw - Lord
    • Chan - Sky
    • Way / k´awil - Spirit
    • Tun - Stone
    • Shan - Snake
    • K´in - Sun
    • Tz´am - Throne
    • Bak - Bone
    • K´u - Sacred
    • K´ul - god
    • Pakal - Shield
    • Ha´ - Water
    • Kah - town
    • K´uk´ - Quetzal
    • Balam - Jaguar
    • K´ak´ - Fire
    • Witz - Mountain
    • Kaloomte - High King
    • Ch´ul - Holy
    • Jaab - Year
    • Yax - Blue / Green (This doesn´t really make sense to me because sth is either blue or green, but not both)
    And from this I got a few names, I don´t like having named heroes only army, so i just change the name and say they are the same :p, even though I don´t have the models for them:
    • Zakahtl - My temple city. I actually made this name before I wrote down all the words, but then realized Za - kah(town) - l. So that´s great :D
    • K´uk´kaloomte -
    • Tz´am-pakal - Throne shield, so this must be... Chakax!!
    • Chan´ahaw - Skylord = tetto´eko. Im not very convinced about this one though.
    • K´un-k´ak - Sun fire = Kroq-gar (Changed it from k´in-k´ak because it soured more imposing). This is because of his magical gauntlet. Provably Grymloq will be... (I still need to think about this).
    • T´un-k´awil - Stone spirit = Lord Kroak.
    • T´un-z´am - Stone throne = Mazmamundi (modified from T´un-tz´am to avoid tong-twisting :))
    • Kupakal - Sacred shield = Gor-rok (modifiel from K´upakal)
    And that´s all I have thought about, still need some more :eek:

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

@Jorgik I like your post! I have a similar list of mayan words in my mayan hieroglyph dictionary, but it would take way too long to put on the internet... Thanks for the list!

Actually I think I can help you with this one. The Mayan's didn't distinguish between the colors green or blue because they occurred almost identically in nature. "The term Yax referred to the visible spectrum between green and blue, which occurs frequently in nature- as in the plumage of the quetzal bird, or the foam of spray water." The word also in some cases meant "new," "unripe," and in some cases "first."

Last thing I will add is a personal experience of when I got to go see the river near the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich, Belize.

Xunantunich River.png

The river near the ruins was actually completely GREEN!, so green it was quite amazing and I finally understood why the Mayans might have seen the two colors as more similar and harder to differentiate then we do. It made sense to me why the Mayans thought of blue and green as the same color!

spawning of Bob and Jorgik like this.
  12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Or perhaps it's just referring to the color Cyan ?

Warden likes this.