1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new base I am working on

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by shahryar, May 30, 2011.

1. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

I have been really doing alot of water basing or trying to at least. my next up is the slann's base.
    This is waht I have planned so far.

And a photoshop crappy rendition of how it will be painted and flocked

green is my meadow or spring mix gale force nine flock
    blue is mordian blue with a coat of realistic water on top and that light transparent blue water fall is realistic water water effects the white parts will be said water effects mixed with a touch of white paint.

for other doodads I have I also have some twigs and leaf basing from wood elf glade guard some tall grass from scenic woodlands some jungle tuft from army painted and a bunch of other stuff. I want to make this look neat without being to busy, I also plan to use a smaller flight peg and drill it onto the top most rock on the bottom right corner hopefully that wont unbalance it to much, wish there was a way to test without drilling lol.

just felt I'd share my insanity and ask for any advice or recommendations you all might have

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

That would be awesome! I really want to see the completed base. Where are you going to get the Slann to sit on it?

3. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

From your view the very top rock piece in the bottom right hand corner

the current flaw is left most level 2 rock and the top rock stick out over the rim....with temple guards shields and halbreds it'll be difficult to fix. half tempted to try and put to on high rocks and extend the river backwards lol but if I start taht I might do something really insane and make the whole squad like that in some way lol

4. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

In GW's book "How to make wargame terrain", there is a nice way to make a realistic waterfall. Just pour lines of PVA/woodglue on a plastic sheet and shape it a bit with a brush. Once it's dry, just peel it off in one piece. If you then glue this vertically against a cliffside or whatever you'll get quite a nice waterfall. I hope I explained it well enough :p.

5. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I love the idea you have. I can't wait, like the others, to see it completed. Didymus has a grea idea. I'd paint a bit of blue or brown under the water so as to create a sense of depth to the work.

6. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

yea I am using a prouct called water effects it's like the realisitic water only it applies thinck, even thicker then glue but dries to the same clear as realisitic water
    you just measure the length add a half an inch then draw it onto a non stick skillet, glue it down with water effects then mix some water effects with white to make the churning rapids above and below.

here is a question though

this is the over hang on the back of the model do you think I should leave it and figure out some other way of getting the TGs to fit on the back. or saw it off (yes the concrete takes a bone saw well lol) I'll probably have to build them up either way thinking about it.

7. Trevorious Maximus
    Skink

Trevorious Maximus New Member

it sounds easier to just saw it off if the bone saw works... that way your not worrying about the TG

8. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Either that or place your temple guard in a way that will allow them to fit too. I'd just build their bases up so that they were still lower than the slann but "still in the fight".

9. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

there are actualy two spots I am thinking about putting the slann on the top rock like I mentioend earlier or using a long flight peg and putting them on the small island in the bottom left corner. my only worry right now is worrying about him being unbalanced lol
    but at this point I think I'll pop all the temple guard off their bases and make them all match, the entire unit can be the centerpiece since I might not take an EOTG.

10. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

if there was some sortof water lore I swear I would find a way to make the slann telekinetically summoning water up around him

edit: didnt want to bump so jsut edited this post I accidentally bumped earlier lol.

a quick idea of how I can do the two back saurus bases.

after flocking it might look good lol

11. strewart
    OldBlood

It would be quite hard to cut down since the TG weapons hang over the front edge of their bases, you would need to cut a lot of stone back for them to fit. Additionally, extra TG behind the Slann as part of the display is not very practical in a game, when the back row dies you won't be able to remove them very easily. Difficult dilema. If you only play with friends who won't mind you removing models from next to the Slann (just representationally, they would still technically be from the back rank) then it might be ok. If you want a more gaming friendly unit, maybe the TG behind could be moved further back on their bases? Or put them on small seperate mounds? Maybe even just accept that they won't rank up perfectly and shove them behind anyway?

12. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

oh my plan now is to go insane.

from teh slanns base I will build out all other bases.

the ones behind the slan I did a test 2 rocks on each on to blank bases then I just have glue their halbreds on so it doesn't mess with the slann base

but yes my plan now is to make the slann and temple guard the centerpiece so all of them will be on bases like this. and I will try and line it up so the path of water will continue lol.

I could be doing other things like painting the actualy models but eh what the hell hah.

13. lustria
    Saurus

lustria Member

Rofl hehe completely agree

14. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

here is an idea of how the two back saurus will fit just through it together

also showing the two places I was thinking of placing the palandquin, one already has a hole drilled but that will be easy to hide when I start flocking

15. lustria
    Saurus

lustria Member

DEFINITLY ON TOP, hight conveys power!!!.

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would say, if possible, do them both! Make them interchangeable. If you cannot do that, I would go with the higher elevation (I would because that is my BSB always). The TG look good built up a little like that.

17. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

TG are good but what about LOS of the slann? Either way, the Slann at the top of the hill makes him look a lot more imposing.

18. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

def if I had more room I'd get some privateer press soul tokens to make it look like he is summoning like a water elemental

SoulToken2.png

also found out that the bushes I bought from woodland scenics stick nicely on the end of the root things that come with wood elf ghlade guard to make little bonsai looking trees.

Gladeguard13.jpg

medium green bushes look sortof like someone took flock and made it into off shaped balls of flock lol finally have a use for it XD God this is turning into a woodland scenics advertisment

19. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

sorry if this is bumping wanted the posts to be seperate, okay trying to figure out how best to handle the origin of the water I have three ideas
    On the first two pics the black dot is where the flight peg would go...or there abouts lol
    The only downside to the first to is explaining where the water goes to the back of the base lol.

if I went with the last one I would first carve out so to speak a small cave then paint the inside black before adding faux water and paint. this one is honestly probably best because if I go with the extreme basing for all the temple guard as well I do not have to worry about any more water basing except for the front row who will just have easier to do gutted bases.

PS: Just took pictures of the whole band lol or most of them anyways and I now agree seeing the whole group like taht yes the slann should be at the highest point....really hope he doesnt become unbalanced from that. ah well I'll worry about that when it comes worse comes to worse bury magnets in the whole and glue the slanns base to the movement tray lol then just remove the slann when dead XD

also realized yknow the medium saurus bases sortof get screwed rank wise

large bases are 3 for a rank small bases are 5 shouldn't it stand to reason saurus size bases should be 4 for a rank? but that is totally off topic XD

20. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow you are really turning this into a big and ambitious project. The cave looks good, if you have the skill to do it then go for it! If you really want it to fit with TG behind though, they will probably need to be at the same height as the cave or it will still look like the water has risen from nowhere.