1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old models with a new paint job

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by dictator, Sep 13, 2009.

1. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Good question. I used some copper tubes I found at Hobby Lobby. The skink that faces left it was a little bit harder than the one holding it by his leg. Thankfully it turned out just like it was a part of the model. I also think that If I can make a few javelin heads I can put them on copper wiring and just slide them into the tube.

2. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

You have a nice colour scheme and your skill at painting is good too. But the old models suck so hard you should have started with the current ones imo.

3. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I'm necro'ing my old models thread as I have finally got a few pictures to show you all what I've been doing. I'll be editing this post here soon to add a few pics!

liz%2Bskink%2Bd.jpg

4. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

I really like what you've got. I like the blowpipe. Kinda looks like an empty paper-towel roll, and I think that's awesome.

--DF2K

5. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Thanks Frisbee. I cut the short bow out and just inserted a piece of brass pipe. Here's a few pictures of how I work my skink models. I'll be working on their bases tonight and add a few photos later.

These are the latest batch to be complete. I will be working to post a few pictures on how I base them. Soon we'll be done completely with the skink and skink related models. Afterwards, I will be working on the Saurus lots I have. You can see that I have a lot to complete. What isn't in the picture is the Stegadon, and several Terradons I have waiting to be started too. All of these models were airbrushed with White Primer and then Ice Blue from Vallejo Game Colors.
    liz%2Bskink%2Blot.JPG
    This is the pre-dipped stage. I have painted Khemri Brown, Deneb Stone, Mordian Blue and Chaos Black all from GW Paints on to the base coats.
    liz%2Bskink%2Bpainted%2Bc.JPG
    Each model is dipped in a wide mouth mixture of 1 part water and 1 part water based wood stain from a local diy store. Very easy and a lot cheaper than buying the stuff at GW or any other hobby store. I use a cheap water color brush to "pull" the excess stain off the model.
    liz%2Bskink%2Bdip.JPG
    I allow the models to dry at least 2 1/2 hours. It varies upon the model but I usually don't want to touch them until the are 100% dry. I liken this step to a varnish. It really completes my models and I have yet to spray any varnish over them. Thankfully they dry with minimal shine and I like the look so far.
    liz%2Bskink%2Blot%2Bdry.JPG

Comments are welcome!

6. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Folks, really easy. I can do about a base a minute. The DAS putty, the random tool that i push down on the putty with, and of course bases are all you need to complete. The biggest issue I always find with DAS is that it is not sticky except to itself. The second issue I have with it is that it's a race against time. If you pull too much out of the bag you will have it dry out on you before you have completed all your bases. The key here is to gingerly squish the small bit of DAS you have on each base, push it down with the tool, and then ensure it hasn't moved or shifted to much before letting it dry.
    Liz%2Bskink%2Bbase%2Bneeds.JPG
    I pull a little bit out in the size of a one inch ball and then tear bits off for each base.
    liz%2Bskink%2Bbase%2Bsquished.JPG
    Like I said before, this takes about a minute a skink base and pretty soon they will all be done.
    liz%2Bskink%2Bbase%2B33%2Bcomplete.JPG
    I hope that all made sense. Just keep it simple and don't worry about making mistakes because there will always be a way to cover it up later.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

awesome. you obviously have a great system for painting lots of models very fast :)

if i were to add something it would be to put some glue around the "tiles" on the bases and dip them in good old sand. paint the sand with some brownish color and maybe give it a light drybrush. i that could bring your bases from "good looking" to "great looking" with minimal effort.

Keep up the good work
    /T

EDIT: is the finished model painted with the same technique?

8. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

That's a great idea; I really don't know why I haven't tried that yet. It should get rid of the DAS putty falling off.

9. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Go take a look at the "Old Schooler New to Lizzies" thread on here http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/old-schooler-new-to-lizzies.5025/ to see some conversion of the old short bow skinks into 8th edition figures.

Dictator, I LOVE what you are doing with the old models - and their bases too! Keep it up! The Ice Blue looks great and the dip is working great. I may have to copy that, as I have about 50 skinks to paint in the next couple weeks (gulp!) For the Saurus, grey and brown are by far the superior colors. The purple and yellow looked too much like it was straight out of an old 70's Hanna Barbera cartoon...sorry!

Where did you get the little jungle foliage for the base? Looks like a plastic aquarium plant - am I right? I might have to nick that idea too :)

10. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

The green foliage is from Hobby Lobby. I'll take a picture of it later and post it for you. It was really cheap at the time because they were trying to get rid of it for fall. The purple was a dud I admit but I'm not really a real world painter. I do like to have a touch of comic book colors to my models.

11. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

The green brush material I am using is from Hobby Lobby. I know the tag says it's 9.99 but I bought it for probably half that.

Attached Files:

12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Nice, I'll look for something similar in AC Moore...basically the same kind of "craft" store, and I have some credit there too :)

13. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

It'll probably be there. I'm just a fan of using things that cost me little but the payoff is great. I've done a few more skink models and thought I'd show you the entire lot. liz%2Bskink%2Bhorde%2Ba.JPG

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

sweet :p

are you going for some kind of skink-only army, or is it just that you happened to paint them first?

ps. i saw earlier that you were looking for a color scheme for your saurus. why not be boring and use the same as for the skinks? they look awesome enough :D

15. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I will be painting all the models with a base of sky blue, a vallejo color. The Vallejo colors are really easy to mix with Windex and then apply it with an airbrush. The regular Saurus will have a green color on their scales. I haven't sold myself on much else. I guess that's why it's taken me so long to paint them.

I forgot who suggested I put the rocks on the bases. I tried it with the last 33 models and they looked horrid. The main reason why I had nightmares after that was because they just looked ridiculous. Who has millions of rocks in a jungle? SO no rocks on these models folks, unless there are a few characters I want to fix to a broken mural, etc.

16. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I talked about it on Thinker's plog but I was set to finish a whole unit of saurus cavalry. I was baffled by the horrible spray splatter that completely ruined the day. I figured out the issue so I'm back in business. Just can't seem to forgive myself for letting that much crud build up!

What I did find was a gem. I'm going to have to try this out and let you all know. If you are interested there is a great youtube video link here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub70AU5RfmI&feature=player_embedded

cmn9001.jpg

17. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Well another great day. The wife gave me some time to work on the models I've been itching to complete. These models were some of the first to get a secondary color applied to the models without any major issues. I have yet glued their shields on to them. I'm still very leary about paint clogging the nozzle but if it stays clean I don't have to worry about anything!
    liz%2Bcav%2Bpaint%2Ba.JPG
    Above is the look at what they were before I put the dip onto the models. Below you can see what they came out to be. I'll be looking to try to complete the rest of the unit so we can have a full cavalry horde.
    liz%2Bcav%2Bcomp%2Bf.JPG
    liz%2Bcav%2Bcomp%2Be.JPG

I am hoping tonight I can make a few spears with my instant mold. Knowing that I have to do some reading for class tomorrow may ruin that goal. I hope you all enjoy!

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

19. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

They look great, please let me know how well they work on the tabletop! I want a unit in my army too, but cavalry seem to be quite overpriced vs. steadfast in 8th edition...

20. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

my experience is that they never quite do what you can expect them to do considering how expensive they are, but they are cool looking at least :p