1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Old Mossy's paint log - Some terrain and lizards (and OnGs!)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Old Mossy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 7/6 - Carnosaur conversio

Have a look at Tamiya's T.rex plastic kit. It may be too big for a carnosaur, but its worth checking. The dinosaur Tamiya models are the most accurate ones I know.

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 1/7 - Carnosaur conversio

Welp, I'm done with the "carnosaur". It's never going to be a menacing masterpiece, but I'm happy enough fielding it. Any thoughts, or is it just too ridiculous?
    IMG_0895-processed.jpg
    IMG_0896-processed-1.jpg

The rider:
    IMG_0895-riderprocessed.jpg
    IMG_0893-riderprocessed.jpg

3. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Wow that turns out to be a lot better than expected. Well done.

4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Thanks elmo, I think it's ok. The eyes are still pretty terrible, though. I think I could save it by green stuffing the eyes to be smaller, and more anatomically correct.

Do you think the rider is a little too chaos-y? He's converted from a blood crusher rider's body and standard bearer's pole, with a simple tail modelled. I made him blue-purple to stand out from everything else in the army, but now I'm worried he looks too chaos. Anyone agree?

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

It looks pretty good overall although I do agree that the colors may confuse him for Chaos. Slaanesh??

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Good job on modelling the tail. I think you need to paint the t-rex's eyes though.

7. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Yeah I think the purple colour is a bit too saturated but hey, it's OK in my opinion. Paint the eyes, make sure you don't get that crazy eyes syndrome!

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 4/7 - Terradons Done

Hmmm, ok, next on my list will probably be to go back and deal with the eyes. The eyeballs are too big to paint without giving him hectic crazy eyes, so I think I'll green stuff a smaller eye socket. Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'm going to revisit the rider's skin colour, too. I wanted it to stand out and be different from everything else in the army, but I think it's not complete enough. It's too flat and dark, and the red scales/spines aren't to my taste (plus they make it look more slaanesh like).

In the mean time, I finished my unit of terradons finally. I had grand plans for the one in the middle to be flying low over a tree, but never got around to finishing the tree, so :shrug:
    The lighting for the photos was a bit rubbish, particularly on the captured dark elf, but what do you think?
    IMG_0883-processed.jpg
    IMG_0887-processed.jpg

9. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Great looking Terradons!

A trick you can do with big eyes is paint eyelids directly onto the globe of the eye. Those eyes look very accessible so it shouldn't be too hard in this case.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

The terradon on the left looks very interesting but hard to see - any chance of a close up? Overall, at least from arm's length, they all appear to be nicely done :)

11. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

Great work :D . Any chance of seeing them up close?

12. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

Your work has really improved! I'm jealous! :)

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Threadromancy, GO!

I've been lacking both free time, and enthusiasm, if I'm honest, but this week, I was bored one afternoon and sat down to paint some night goblins. I'm feeling pretty jazzed up about playing again, now. Funny how it goes.

So, I've got a few projects lined up, let's get cracking.

@Anton_S: cheers mate, I think I will go back and add eye slits. They definitely bring a model to life, and it was only laziness that prevented me, really.

@T`hinker`er: yeah, he's my favourite terradon. I should've been more patient, as in real life you can see some parts that are lacking. I'll see if I can get a good photo in sunlight.

@parrot: Ha, cheers. Maybe it's worth getting a good close up of each model in good lighting.

On with the first project. After I got pushed out some night goblins, I decided to start work on a project that's been bugging me for awhile. If you've read this thread, you'll remember my prize pyramid:
    20121006_164002_zpsfec32cdc.jpg

Well, no one want's to play with him. It's sad, but unfortunately, my gaming group has deemed it too big to play with (stupid shoot heavy peeps), except with the exception of a pretty fun version of siege. So, out come the knives, for a more modular pyramid stack, and this is the result, of which I couldn't be happier:

2 pyramids with chamber:
    20121006_170937_zpsf798afd3.jpg

Detachable chamber:
    20121006_171002_zps04a9ec3f.jpg

Stand-alone altar:
    20121006_171029_zpsa3e57831.jpg

2 pyramids without chamber, with a sparkly new paint job:
    20121012_121403_zpsd0834c8c.jpg

Overview of the mural:
    20121012_121301_zps9d15a548.jpg

And just because, a closeup of the stairway caps:
    20121012_121425_zpscbbb7dbc.jpg

Played with all but the bottom pyramid the other day (still deemed too big :( ), and they were a hit. Bonus, they now fit much more easily in transport boxes. What do you think? Too much turquoise on the bottom step?

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Some terrain and lizards

OMG, those are beautiful! Love the colors and everything else about them!

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

looking good old mo. :)

16. Ragnar
    Saurus

Ragnar New Member

Wow. That is some fantastic terrain! Nice touch with the snake heads on the stair railing. That must have taken a very long time. Nice job Mossy :D

17. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

@T`hinker`er: ha, I'll take it that means you don't think the turquoise was too much :p

@n810: Cheers mate

@Ragnar: actually, those snake heads were a pretty quick hack-n-slash job, but I really like the way they turned out. Sometimes it just works that way :D

In our gaming group, we've got a few hills, but they're all a little bit awkward for gaming. I've still got a bit of foam lying around, so out came the hot wire cutter, in what proved to be it's last endeavour.

20121005_183116_zps00b31e0e.jpg

I decided on a tiered hill, so there'd be room on each level for a unit. I cut down half way around roughly a quarter of the foam, then ripped and tore the foam off so I could glue it on another quarter. Made it in 6 pieces :D
    20121005_205117_zps47adfd74.jpg

The hill/cliff walls were done when using the hot wire cutter, by pulling and pushing a little while cutting the shape out of the foam.
    I'm in the process now of making 50mm and 25 mm chocks (that look good) to place under units as they ascend.

Bit of darkened raw umber paint and pva glue slathered on. The glue definitely makes the outer shell harder.
    20121005_220345_zps5d5c4154.jpg

Quick drybrush some raw umber, throw on some flock, done!

20121015_181329_zps8b1740fb.jpg

and an awful picture with a night goblin for scale
    20121015_181603_zpsd3e49266.jpg

It's already been used in a game on the weekend, which was unfortunately my biggest loss ever. C'est la vie. On a brighter note, for the first time, I fielded more painted units than my opponent :meh: Granted, this was due to him finally fielding a different list, including models he's never tried before (wood elves). On that note, if any of your friends play wood elves, I recommend these alternative rules: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
    They seem more balanced and fun in 8th, and you won't be pigeon holed into the same tactic/army list time and again. The only thing that seems a bit wonky is the spell lore... we didn't play it, and to me, it looks broken, but who knows.

Anyway, couple of new projects this week, including fixing my scar-vet that fell off his rock, but can anyone guess what this is going to be?
    20121005_205133_2_zpsb632df5b.jpg

18. Ragnar
    Saurus

Ragnar New Member

That is an EXTREMELY vibrant hill! So much colour! Awesome. Is that big tall thing going to be... A WATERFALL?
    ;)

19. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

No, I love the turquoise. I use that color a lot, and red-orange and purple-green in my army. Very southwest and Azteck/Mayan, I feel. Goes great with gold and black too.

20. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

@Ragnar: I do like my terrain to stand out. And yes, you're spot on, it'll be a waterfall, just as soon as I figure out what to do without my hot wire cutter.

I really want to carve some olmec-style statues into the side of the waterfall, to represent the old ones.
    eg. Seated_Olmec_Jaguar_from_San_Lorenzo%2C_Veracruz.jpg

How do other people carve/style/finish their terrain?