1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Only the 8th...

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Lizards of Renown, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I am sorry to report that I am a filthy heretic. While I still love 8th edition and TOW is an enjoyable game, I have been playing a lot of 40k recently with some guys at work because if I want to roll dice and battle minis, apparently that is what I must do.

10th edition is actually quite fun...

...I'll see myself out!

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

It's perfectly fine to want to play other games, especially if it means increasing your playerbase... though I expect the 8th fanatics will see this as reason to revoke your "Sacred Knight" status, the chads of the Questing Knight club will accept you with open arms :cool:

Welcome brother, so say we all!

This on the other hand confirms your heretic status :p;):p

Give me pre-8th 40K any day :D (though you of course are perfectly entitled to play whatever games you like)

BrotherSutek and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

This is correct. The definitional requirements are no longer met. To do otherwise would invalidate the pre-established categorical ranks.

Although, since @Lizards of Renown is the OP of thread and is no longer hanging around the forum, @Karnus ' status can not be "officially" amended.

You're still a valued member of the club, just not a Sacred Knight of the Divine Order. We the few.

BrotherSutek likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with 40k is there is no army which really grabs me and says "you must play me". If I was to do a tier list (rating my interest) in fantasy I'd have lizardmen S and 3-4 at A. In 40k I think I don't think I'd have any at S or A. Thousand Sons, Grey Knights, Orks, those undead Eldar all at B... But yeah

5. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I play Tyranids as a melee only army as they are the only army that isn't a humanoid holding a gun, unique and thematic to me in that sense.

Ah a loop hole!

6. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

Just to add to the conversation, my problem with 40k is that it feels cartoony now. Yes this comment is coming from someone who loved playing Orks in 2nd edition with included cardboard dreadnought. So many rerolls and aura effects and special characters that are no longer a maybe but an always buy due to their amazing value. I love fantasy, specifically 8th, in part due to the fact that special characters aren't always a must buy. As a Tomb Kings and Wood Elves player, I have more but these are my favorites, there aren't any special characters that I "must get" every game and it allows me to make my own fluff. Watching a game of 10th edition 40k at my local store and I couldn't tell which side was doing half of what as I didn't know the new rules but I could tell all the special characters. The idea of using tyranid as an all combat army is great! Sadly from what I've seen and heard most of the people at the store go online, find out how the army was solved and netlist from there. Your creativity is a breath of fresh air.

7. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

The most important rule is the rule of cool. Remember that.

I aim to give my players the starship trooper experience and oh boy do I aim to please :)

BrotherSutek likes this.
  8. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I never forget! My bugs are a mixed lot but I love a good horde of gaunts. It's one of the reasons I was turned off of 9th, I was fielding an IG army with almost 200 infantry in 7th and 9th allowed for even more. Funny how when you remove the balance part of the army rules things get weird. I just like masses of models, thus my love of greenskins in fantasy. IG however kept getting nerfed as it turns out having that many expendable units is strong.

9. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I like to run an endless swarm detachment which centres around exactly that - plenty of provision for horde armies in 10th edition, imperial guard.. I mean... Astra Millitarum? get something similar.

10. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I would but don't care for the ruleset. I still play 7th edition but without detachments or Horus Heresy. It's an age old tale, before I was married I had money and with that money I bought a ton of stuff. I love my wife but man if you had told me that she'd be more expensive than my warhammer habit I'd have called you a liar.

11. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Ahmen.

Having said that, ever since I got into 3D printing - I can't remember the last time I bought from GW. Really does make the hobby affordable.

BrotherSutek likes this.
  12. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I don't have the space since I put in a wood working section, unless I remove the weights... so basically no room. I've seen so many amazing models that other than Dogs of War, as those are my favorites, I have no problem with non GW models. I wanted a full 16 warhawk riders for my WEs but only had eight. I've been proxie model for years but just bought a bunch of owls to have the army I want. If I was more tech savvy I might have gotten into it, despite space issues, but I am a borderline luddite and my high tech abilities are, let's go with limited.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

14. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I have been on the hunt for a reasonably priced copy of Tamurkhan for years, alas it has officially fallen into collector status. Good work! very jealous!

Imrahil likes this.
  15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

If you want one last stone for your gauntlet, I notice there's still something missing from your collection...

Blood in the Badlands. I have a copy and it's a good read, inspiring if you ever want to have a go at a Fantasy campaign game.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  16. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Also Triumph and treachery is great fun if there is an odd number of players

17. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great collection my man!
    The one I really like to get my hands on myself is the Lizardmen 8th edition army book.

Grrr, !mrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I'm only missing the Triumph book although my Storm book is being borrowed and has been for 10 something years...I love the Tarmurkhan book and even started to build a chaos force and save up for the giant model. Then life got in the way. Sadly the same thing with the old Chaos Mammoth.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

It would be to have paper rules for Chaos Dwarfs, can't get on with PDF's

BrotherSutek likes this.
  20. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

My Dogs of War are Warhammer Army Project sadly also only paper and not a book.