1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pathfinder-ish Campaign...

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Tk'ya'pyk, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

well an audience is a rare but pleasant surprise. Izema approaches the onlookers when he is done "well hello i guess you're all to be my crew mates for the next few months. my name is izema it's good to meet you all.
    do any of you mind showing me how you help out about the ship? i have no skill in sailing but no time is better to learn then the present."

2. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

TheCrazyKhorneGuy Well-Known Member

Drew knows this whole adventure is way out of his area of expertise, but he decides to try at least, to be of some help to someone. He looks around, and sees the Minotaur hard at work on the ballista. Drew walks up to Tarkaz and asks, "Hello Tarkaz, may i be of assistance? While I do not know much of engineering, I might learn a thing or two about how this thing works by working on it, if you don't mind of course."

3. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Garutis has taken up a new pastime. He spits over the edge of the ship, and watches his drool fall back to earth. Garutis is utterly mesmerized. However he also hears a rumble in his tummy, and starts to wonder what he should devour...

4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Still furious Tarkaz looks over to Drew from his kneeling position as he looks over the supplies he brought up, although at first his look is menacing it quickly washes away into a friendly water buffalo smile,

"If you want to learn I will not stop you, having another knowing at least basic maintenance would he useful as well. The rope on the ballista is worn and frayed, both from not being waxed enough and from constantly being in a cocked position when not in use...though still useable for other things it would be a hazard on the Ballista. Unravel it so that we may install this new rope" Tarkaz points to the newer rope, "before we install the new rope we need to wax it down first so the wax can get into some of the grooves", Tarkaz points to the rope wax (equiv to bowstring wax) and a large brush used to put it on, "When you are done getting the old rope off, take it down to the weapons locker down below (area 11) to be stowed until later. Do you know how to unravel it from the Ballista?" Looking at Drew the minotaur then looks at the winch lever and winch wheel while waiting for a reply before going about doing his own repairs.

basic ballista design and parts
    BallitstaParts2full.jpg f60d581a75b576c98e3f0a384e70bbfd.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  5. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

Drew looks at the ballista and then back at Tarkaz, "I think I can figure it out. Just like unstringing a bow. Right? Just a giant bow."

6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

A laugh erupts from the Minotaur,

"Sort of, but with a few more steps. Take the lever of the winch wheel and push it towards the arms of the ballista, that will loosen the rope enough to allow you to free it from the hook and in turn loosening the rest of the rope. From there take the rope and feed it out from the winch wheel and go from there up to the arms. I will be oiling the parts that need oiling before then waxing and polishing the wood. Once we are ready to install the new rope we can then examine why the trigger is malfunctioning"

Tarkaz is happy to have another helping him, this would be a lot of work even for the minotaur. Watching Drew a moment before starting his own task Tarkaz feels a sense of happiness to be teaching another knowledge that they did not have before.

7. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

"Thanks Tarkaz." Drew says as he does as the Minotaur instructed him. After loosening the rope, Drew got it out and watched Tarkaz work. Drew was in awe of the skill of the Minotaur, and was honored that Tarkaz would take time out of his day to teach Drew. "So how did you come by this knowledge of siege weaponry?"

Lizerd, Tk'ya'pyk and Nazqua like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

A softer chuckle came out from the minotaur,

"That would involve many stories of battle, Mercenary work, but it all started when I was younger. In my village where I hail from, where the mighty river meets the ocean and where Savannah meets desert, my father was a skilled woodworker, i learned much from him..." sadness came iver the Minotaurs face

"And then I left home, using my strength and gifts for Mercenary work, many sieges I was apart of frm both sides...seige weapons and engineering came natural to me, but many helped train and sculpt my skill...so I a happy to do the same for curious minds"

The sad expression could be mistaken for nothing but sorrow, but quickly fades as Tarkaz reailzes that it is showing, "but yes, Mercenary work was a key ingredient...speaking of ingredients I wonder what there is to eat on this ship, I forgot to buy food before boarding..." his stomach rumbles.

9. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

Drew nodded, knowing from experience what the Minotaur was feeling and was surprised that Tarkaz was even willing to tell him anything.

10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Clearing his throat Tarkaz went back to work, "what brings one such as yourself to a ship like this?" Trying to start up a conversation and to get to know this new companion

11. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

"Funny as it may be, I came here through mercenary work just like you. I killed for money, rescued for money, delivered for money. Mostly small jobs, but this one was weird. I am not used to working with a group so when I got the job I was surprised to find it didn't tell me what I needed to do, just to join up with the group and eventually get to this ship. I really have no clue what is going on, and from what I got from Drakk I am terrified of suffocation."

12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

"Suffocating can be a terrible thing..." Tarkaz remembers strangling a man, his face turned purple as the air in his lungs became no more, "Thankfully there are spells that allow one to create air bubbles around ones head, I wouldn't fret too much, I'm sure there are ways to mend any malfunctions of the air envelope...if not, at least you won't die alone" Tarkaz gives a friendly reassuring wink to Drew.

Thinking on his words of being a fellow mercenary Tarkaz asks if there are any rules or code he has for himself ans explains that he himself would not kill children or whole families, as an example.

Lizerd, TheCrazyKhorneGuy and Nazqua like this.
  13. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

"I kill who I am told to kill, but yes if I am told to kill children or innocent families then I will not take the job. I don't like killing, but it is one thing that I am good at and when I needed money, I would take almost any job. One of my favorite jobs was protecting a caravan from bandits. I sneaked (snuck) around in the trees as I followed the caravan. And to my luck it actually got attacked by bandits. There weren't many bandits because they didn't think that the caravan had a guardian." Drew chuckles "They were very very wrong. it took less than five minutes and all the bandits were dead before they got within ten feet of any of the caravan's crew."

14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Nodding, "Sometimes the kill is the easiest way to make ends meet, and often times the only way to save the innocent. These bandits sound like rhey didn't have much training, or you have honed your craft very well, I am glad I will not have to fight against you. How are the ropes coming?" Tarkaz says

Oiling the moveable metal parts and other springs were the focus of the minotaur, but he was enjoying the conversation

15. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

Drew also was enjoying the conversation and he replied, "I got the old ones off. I am ready when you are to put the new ones on. If its not too much of a pain to answer, you seem so calm when we are going to space. do you know things about it that makes you calm, or have you been there before?"

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Looking over his own work Tarkaz nods in satisfaction, and then looks over the new rope while explaining,

"I have not, Ive traveled far and wide on the planet, but have never gone to space, part of the reason I accepted the job inquiry. I however hold the philosophy that one should not worry about that which they cannot control. Space is a big and vast untamed wilderness, one cannot poasibly control all that could go wrong, but if one allows the mind to be clouded, then that infront of them which is controllable can and likely will go wrong. Space will either give us great freedom and experience or eat us like a wyrm would with no remorse." Looking off into the distance, stars are more visable, "I hope it gives us freedom.and experience...it is a gorgeous sight that Id willingly die for to see again with such clarity. Do not misunderstand me, it does frighten me some, but that fear also makes me stronger and hightens the senses, stay clear minded and all will be well as much as it can be"

Tarkaz chuckles, "I am sorry for the philosophical rant, I am often told I talk more than a elf drunk on berry wine."

Taking the new rope he begins to shape it in the form it needs to be befire being fed into the wench wheel, "You fold it like so, this way when you feed it through and you coil it around the peg inside the wench you can then attach it to the hook which is whats used to draw back the eye and bolt." He continues on to explain how to connect it to the arms and the counter stanchions.

"Any questions? Soon we will be able to look at the trigger mechanism" Tarkaz looks briefly at it

17. TheCrazyKhorneGuy
    Chameleon Skink

At Tarkaz's answer about space, Drew's mouth hung open in awe. He regained his composure and shook his head "no questions." Drew now knows that he has at least one companion on this ship that can be trusted and respected, at least so far.

18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Nodding Tarkaz continues to help Drew with the rope connecting it to the ballista, this would tske some time, but together theyd get it done faster than just the minotaur himself

19. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

For once, Captain Naresh has a smile on her face. Leaving the wheel for a moment, she walks over to inspect the work on the ballista. "Well," she finally says after a while, "I am impressed! This is as good a job as old Delgar's work! Better, actually," she adds as she watches Tarkaz and Drew work. "Delgar's always been better with powder weaponry than siege equipment like this, but I couldn't afford to remount such on Moonsister and pay for the repairs to Moonstrider." Mulling things over for a moment, a serious look comes over her. "My sincere apologies for my slur earlier. Minotaurs and I do not get along well, I am afraid. There is a large enclave of your people in another sphere I used to do business in, but they have driven out pretty much everyone else now. You seem different though, and not as hot-temptered as they tend to be. Master Tarkaz, how would you like to be the Ships' Weaponsmaster for the duration of your time with us?"

Lizerd, Sudsinabucket and Nazqua like this.
  20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

As Drakk's words, the young woman turns and shakes her head. "'Fraid not," the halfling woman replies, then stops and stares. After a moment, she giggles. "Goodness, aren't you a cute one? I haven't seen one of your kind with scales like that! Oh, Sandy is going to love you!" Gesturing towards the door to the left of the helmsman's quarters, she motions for you to head that way. "She usually hangs out in there unless she's serving meals. Make sure you knock first, though, or she might throw a knife at you!"

Lizerd, Sudsinabucket and Nazqua like this.