1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pinning advice

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tenno, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Tenno
    Skink

Tenno New Member

so i just bought a carnosur and i want to build him properly but have never put together an all metal model like this, ive herd about pinning for models like this but know nothing of it, so if any one could give me a run down on how its done or a good website or 2 would be great

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Obviously, it is a technique used to strengthen joints, and make them really hard to break. GW employ a form of pinning on some of their models. You may see pegs and holes on some joints, or jigsaw puzzle shaped pieces. A flat joint is actually the weakest, aside from two pieces that don't fit together properly of course.

In the same way as inserting a pin into a broken bone to make it structurally stronger, pinning a model makes the joint almost unbreakable. You need a drill (for most people, a pin vice and a variety of different sized drill bits, some people use an electric drill but I don't recommend it) and domething to use as the 'pin'; paper clips work well, as do actual pins. Basically a thin, straight piece of metal.

Firstly, drill a hole into the flat part of one side of the joints. The hole should be as close to the same width as you pin as you can manage. As to depth, depends on how thick the model is. 2-5mm is usually a decent guide, make sure you don't go right through a model. Then superglue the pin into the hole with a fair bit of excess poking out. If you use a paper clip or pin, feel free to glue the whole thing in as you can easily clip it down.

It is important at this stage to let the pin dry in place, otherwise when you clip it the force from clipping will break its glue and make it loose. Cut it down so that 2-5mm is poking out, however deep you want the hole on the other side to be.

Now the very important part. You need to make sure when you start drilling into the other half of the joint that the holes will line up so the model goes together nicely. Some people put a drop of paint on the exposed pin then press it into the other side of joint while wet to leave a mark of where to drill. I just hold the two pieces together and eyeball where the hole should go. Drill a similar hole in the joint, deeper is better than shallow because you want the two pieces to fit together properly. Do a dry run, pushing the two pieces together before applying glue so if the hole isn't deep enough or even if it is in the wrong place, you can fix it before there is glue everywhere. Then simply apply superglue to one of the joints, making sure there is some either in the hole or on the pin, and put it together like any other model.

As an added step, I like to make a long thin sausage roll of Green stuff and run it around the edge of the joint. This helps the pieces stay together while it is drying, and the act of forcing the two joints together squeezes the GS out and you instantly have the gaps filled without any effort required!

Hope that helps.

3. Tenno
    Skink

Tenno New Member

wow very detailed instrctons ty very much wasent exspecting something that helpful lol
    it dosent seem that hard but i think ill try and on some spare part models first, i really like the carno model and want it to really stand out, im actually planning on attempting a decent paint job to which is something not even my precious skaven got