1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: According to the chart in the original post, which Game of Thrones character are you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Mar 29, 2018.

?

According to the chart in the original post, which Game of Thrones character are you?

1. Arya Stark

2. Cersei Lannister

3. Eddard Stark

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Ramsay Bolton

6. Sansa Stark

7. Jon Snow

8. Khal Drogo

9. Tyrion Lannister

10. Joffrey Baratheon

11. Jamie Lannister

12. Daenerys Targaryen

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The books were heavily inspired by the 15th century so they had a lot of good material to look at, and really recreated a good number of - mostly fitting together - armor, weapons, clothing, architecture, and really used the art style from the ~15th century for all of them as well. Of course adding some fantasy but not over the top.

2. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

This so much. The local sword fighting school runs a panel every year at the local convention called, "What Game of Thrones does wrong" and they suit up and explain what they do right in the show, why they do what they do in the show, and what is done wrong/more theatrical than practical. Its a great panel since you get to see these guys and gals go full knight mode on each with a variety of weapons.

3. Aginor
    Slann

With that old picture in mind (Knights using cranes to get onto their horses and such stuff) it is really shocking to see that people can almost do somersaults in plate armor.
    I remember seeing it the first time on a medieval fair, it was a show fight, and they really did crazy stuff in full plate!

This video is not a joke:

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

An interesting perspective!

Specifically authors of medieval fantasy novels. So the same genre and medium that George R.R. Martin works in.

5. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Remind when I am no longer at work to post a video from that panel!

I’m teaching my students right now

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

What do you teach? And why are you on lustria if you are teaching?

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Maybe she is teaching them about Lustria. ;) (answers both your questions simultaneously... though likely incorrectly)

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

And armor are also useful!
    too often full plates don't offer an apparent protection, while in GoT armors have an impact on combats

9. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

To answer the question I teach middle school science we are doing coding in one class and natural selection in another dinosaurs will be brought in eventually

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is a great example of it...

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Merlin’s another example of this - specifically in the episodes featuring tournaments and melees, the choreography is actually pretty dynamic, which is more like what it would have been. Knights would have probably worn their chainmail all the time, which means they would get used to moving and fighting with it on. This was certainly the case with Saxon Huscarls.

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Very good point. My friend who owns and wears full plate is very mobile.

Coding as in computer code?

13. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Yes!

Also video time!

This was a disarming game, they weren't in armor here but you can see someone in the back in full plate

and not mine but

Aginor and Lord-Marcus like this.
  14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Very cool.

15. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Also because I forgot to respond to this I had my free period during the day additionally I responded at one point from the bathroom

I am nothing if not dedicated

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That was precisely one of the scenes i've had in mind ;)

Hyperborean likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

There is also a scene earlier when Jorah speaks of the armor's defensive advantage.

18. Aginor
    Slann

Buahahaha holy crap I just mixed up with the Star Wars posts and thought everyone had snapped back to discussing Star Wars again, assuming "George" meant George Lucas. :D

Ok, GRRM then.... hmmmm I would say comparable to him (and sometimes better) are Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Marion Zimmer Bradley, maybe also Terry Brooks and Raymond Feist.

EDIT: Great videos @Hyperborean !
    I especially liked the disarming technique using Half-Swording! Many people think it is not possible with a sharp blade but it actually works.

19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I could speak at length about it

20. Aginor
    Slann

Fun fact:
    I once read an article about a real life medieval source that talked about that topic. People who are not used to fighting soldiers wearing heavy armor develop other techniques in fighting.
    Certain techniques (like long-drawn slashes with swords) are extremely effective against unarmored enemies, the sword really slicing into the clothes, flesh and so on, creating huge gashes that make the enemy lose blood extremely quickly. Against someone wearing armor (even if it is only chainmail) those suck, and certain weapons specialized for that kind of fighting style become really bad.
    The Arakh (which is a two-handed Kopesh basically) the Dothraki use wouldn't be too bad against armor if used properly, but in the choreaography of that fight we see the Dothraki making those long slashing cuts, and those obviously don't do anything agaisnt Jorah's plate armor.
    I don't know if it is intended by the choreographer, but I really get the impression that this particular Dothraki has rarely fought anyone wearing heavy armor (mostly other Dothraki or sheep-people probably) and just does it wrong.

EDIT: Also nice to see how Jorah smashes shoulder-first into his opponent. That's absolutely something you can do with plate armor when you get close.
    He still was lucky with that last cut. It had potential to really do something (and IIRC it does in the book and perhaps in the show as well. I am not 100% sure but I think I remember that in the book Jorah was injured quite a bit after that fight, his armor basically making the difference between being dead and alive).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018