1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Proxies for Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Ixt, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Does anybody know of any decent & inexpensive proxies for Kroxigor, Terradons and/or Ripperdactyls?

Does our site have a proxy compendium yet?

If not, maybe post your proxies here and we could get this thing stickied for individuals looking to get started.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Reaper mini has some decent Kroxigor substitutes,
    (serch for reptus or lizardman)
    I've never seen a decent 28mm terradactyl though.

We have had a bunch of these threads over the years,
    (think they where in the Lizardmen Painting and Converting section)
    but they never seem to get sticked.

3. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

Ok, so some might look down upon me for this, but I found some amazingly cheap proxies for terradactyls. I went into the toy section of our local hobby store that had dinosaurs and bought three little models that fit perfectly. I put flying bases on them and some skink riders from an old horned ones unit that I had and boom, I got three, 47 cent terradactyl riders. They look pretty legit (In my opinion) and have gotten some surprised reactions when I tell people they are just toys and not models.

4. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

With the exception of my skinks, my entire army is made up of toys. Sadly, Kroxigor are the only thing I haven't really been able to find a good proxy for. I got a bunch of small dinosaur toys off of amazon. I use some of the larger models from the set (mostly the long necked varieties) as my Krox, or as saurus unit fillers. All the rest are used as saurus, or terradons, or salamanders, or whatever.

Lizards are the best army to do on the cheap. Dinosaur toys are WAY cheaper than the official model, and with a little work, can look as good or better than the official models. Or at least they can look more unique.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ever find a decent paint or glue for vinal toys?

PS. posst some pics guys :D

6. Vosrik
    Cold One

Vosrik Well-Known Member

Not sure if it really counts, but my brother and I bought some cheap aquarium plants to use as some nice jungle flora for our bases. We have yet to paint one yet, but I'll definitely be posting pics when I have :)

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

8. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

Ask and you will receive :)

lizardarmy_zps8f15f0a5.jpg

From front to back, left to right:

Scar vet on cold one
    Terradon rider
    Salamander
    Razordon
    Stegadon
    Temple Guard
    Slann
    Bastiladon
    Carnosaur

I also have a bunch of saurus, unit fillers, etc. I can easily field a 2500 point army, and everything cost less than the book.

I am gradually adding actual skinks to the army, since I love the models. I'll be modeling my own howdahs on my stegadons and the laser on the back of the bastiladon. Maybe I might find a few cold one riders to convert into actual scar-vets.

Regarding the glue, I've been using a standard cyanoacrylate super glue. It works quite well.

9. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Oh man that is beautiful

10. Korhedron
    Saurus

Korhedron Member

Those are totally adorable!
    I'd be happy to play against them. But now you have make a "saurus" rider for your cold one and Carnosaur. Come on; dinosaurs riding dinosaurs! :) Do it for the Old ones

11. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

I use kroxogres . Get a box of iron guts and make them lustrian ogres. Replace their gut plate with a saurus shield (some green stuff required) . For the weapons I just went witht the more primitive great weapons (clubs and such) In fact a few of mine used temple guard shields as they have lizardmen designs on. On the helmeted heads I put some lizardmen decorations on. will try and get some pics up soon.