1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to the fold

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dancing with Saurus, Nov 23, 2012.

1. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

I agree, find some thing plasticard and cut it to shape then GS around it. As a tip for scales, just take a very small piece of GS and roll into a ball. Place it where you want the scale to be, then take a toothpick and dip it in water so the putty doesn't stick to it. Then use it to flatten the ball of putty by rolling it over it gently to the desired flatness. You can even shape it a little with the edges of the toothpick to make it less round and more random/scale shaped.

Looks like a great concept. But the pic doesn't clearly show the work, try a spot in daylight to take the pic.

2. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

@n810 and Aphilmon

Thanks for the tips and i'll have a go at re-sculpting the back frill. I didn't find the green stuff especially easy to use tbh. I'd tried rolling the green stuff flat with a pen but it kept sticking so the moistened toothpick might be the ticket.

There's a hobby warehouse in my hometown so i'll see if I can find something more elegant for the back. I probably won't have time to try it this weekend but I might have time to hunt for supplies.

The neck was quite easy to do and was much more effective although more through luck than design. The green stuff stuck quite nicely to the jaw of the cold one and I just stretched it across to the chest.

I'll post 'Take 2' when I can.

Thanks!

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Here's the Salamanders I converted from some D&D minis,
    Mostly I just added the back fin and Re-painted it.
    (The spines are painted on)

100_1597.jpg

4. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Am anxious and curious to see how your salamander conversions turn out!

5. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Happy New Year everyone! Firstly, apologies for leaving it 5 weeks since I last posted anything. Rather than giving you a model by model commentary I thought I'd leave it until i'd made some significant progress before posting again. The Christmas period has given me lots of time to paint and the fruits of my labour are three (almost) completed core units.

20x Saurus Warriors;
    12x Skink Spearmen (reqs standard and musician still);
    12x Skink Blowpipers (reqs standard and musician) still.

Santa has clearly been part of the old ones' plans and brought me a Slann and a Stegadon for Christmas! Whoop. The Slann is sprayed and ready to paint as are my two Skink standard bearers and musicians and the crew (snacks) for my Salamander.

Other developments have seen me being a little bit more adventurous with the bases with sand and grass becoming more common but i'm also incorporating some rocks from the garden into my more recent models (so only baby steps really).

I'll load some photos up imminently.

DWS

6. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

@N810 - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Your back fins are definitely an improvement on mine. I really like some of the scale shading as well on the sides of the beasts. They look slightly shiny which is cool did you coat them in something? I'll definitely try cutting round a plastic template next time.

@FavoredoftheOldOnes - again apologies for the late reply. The salamander has been on hold really although i'm being asked by a friend to complete it (he shouldn't really be encouraging me because it will just fry his Elves!). The crew will be painted in my next batch of Skinks which will probably start the week after next. I'm painting some Cold Ones next because I want to practise the colour scheme for my stegadon on them.

Thanks and Happy New Year to both of you :D

7. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

12x Skinks with Spears

SpearSkinks_zps5258d765.jpg

12x Skinks with Blowpipes
    BPSkinks_zps52ea78eb.jpg

20x Saurus with Spears (alas not a very good picture)
    Saurus3_zpsb3142895.jpg

8. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Close ups of my Saurus 'Leader' and Standard Bearer. I'm trying to get a picture of the musician as well but it won't seem to send. Ho hum.

Stand2_zpsb51b02dd.jpg

Champ2_zps9ac25c4e.jpg

Thanks,
    DWS

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Brilliant. I really like your painting style. And your bases are looking better with the sand and grass

10. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Great looking models you got there. The painting on them is really crisp and bright

11. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

@Old Mossy: I love the avatar by the way ;-). I'm planning to be a little bit more adventurous with the larger cold one and Slann bases. I'd like to try some watery bases as well but that might be a little bit in the future. I was looking through your painting log and I thought the bases of your cold ones and and your terradon/s looked great. I haven't been through all the pages yet but there's definitely some inspiration there.

@FavoredoftheOldOnes: Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether the brightness is just the photos being over exposed :). Compared to a lot of Lizardman armies the palette is relatively muted albeit the blue is pretty bright. I'm trying to keep them a little bit dark and brooding. At some point I'll list what colours I use. It's just the standard Citadel paints but someone might be interested.

- - - - - -
    Task for tonight: Gym, food and starting my cold ones. Maybe I'll skip straight to food.

12. scalesy
    Skink

scalesy New Member

Don't skip the gym! You'll focus better on painting when you get your wiggles out ;)

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Great looking stuff! I, too, really like your painting style. It's the kind that I cannot (yet, hopefully) do as my hands are not steady enough. So, yeah, if you some day notice that you cannot paint anymore, it's probably because I managed to complete my Skill-steal-o-matic. Just a heads-up...

14. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

@Scalesy
    I didn't skip the gym but I did end up skipping the painting :-(. That was mainly due to a blocked sink though :rolleyes: .

@Caprasauridae
    Thanks very much. Like some sort of sonic boom every member of Lustria will cock their heads thinking "Did I hear something?" - that sound will be me lamenting my lost ability at painting a decent eye :jawdrop: .

Do you have any of your models posted on the forum. I'd be interested to see them.

There is a downside to having a steady painting hand though. Mainly being the designated 'edger' when painting any room - boring :).

15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

16. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

It wasn't the High Elves that did in my army or even a Skaven horde but instead it was British Airways! :rage:

After the snow at the weekend (and the inevitable snow terror that inflicts southern England) BA manged to lose my bag and all my paints in the bowels of Heathrow. It's Tuesday and there's no sign of my bag although it is now apparently in Edinburgh. I fly back home tomorrow so it could get a bit awkward.

In other news my Slann is not far from completion with a tiny bit of the throne to finish and the magic potato himself to paint :D . I'm looking forward to sharing some pictures shortly. I've started painting my Cold Ones (just the mounts) and they're surprisingly quick to paint. Should I get my paints back I should be able to make decent progress.

I'm in Amsterdam this weekend (lets hope I don't lose my bags again!) so I reckon I should have some more pictures form the beginning of February.

DWS

17. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Good luck with your bags! Hopefully you get your paints back intact, as I'm really eager to see your Cold Ones!

18. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

^I second that notion

19. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Thanks Caprasauridae and FavoredoftheOldOnes. My bags were returned unharmed but only only a hour before I left the office to fly home again. I've got lots of time allocated for painting this weekend (after a two week break!) my Slaan will be finished this weekend. Failure is not an option!

I've painted one Cold One mount and after initial scepticism I'm actually quite fond of it now. It's quite dark. They will be my next unit!

20. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

I've scheduled my first skirmishes and the drums of war are sounding! Extra guinea pigs are being sacrificed in the name of the Old Ones.

It'll only be a relatively small affair at about 800 points (maybe 1000 if i'm productive in the next two weeks) and generous with magic items. My pointy eared opponent has a much larger army to choose from so he can tailor his choices a lot better than I can :-(. That said if I can paint my cold ones and a salamander quickly I might have enough variety to keep him guessing a bit.

I'm worried he's got some nasty Slaan killing trick up his sleeve!