1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Salamander packs and Monster and Handlers

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Sgiusini, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Sgiusini
    Saurus

Sgiusini Well-Known Member

Hello! A rules dispute ocurred in my game.

An unit of 2 Salamanders lost One salamander due to Close combat (after the 1-4 and 5-6 roll to determine wich model got wounded). My opponent told me that I had to remove the Skinks that were part of the dead salamander.
    According to the rules of Monsters and Handlers, the handlers are removed once the Monster is dead, but this rule is written to a rule for Monster, not unit of Monstrous Beasts. I believe the Handlers Must be removed once there are no more Salamanders in that unit.
    Any thoughts?

2. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

The handlers are just wound markers for the salamander. While they can attack in close combat, if the salamander dies they die.

That would also leave you in a situation where you could potentially have a single salamander with more than 4 handlers.

3. Sgiusini
    Saurus

This is what happened. One of the Salamanders died, so the unit was left with 1 salamander and 7 handlers.

4. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

The handlers assigned to the salamander that died should have been removed along with it in that scenario.

I meant to say there shouldn’t be a scenario where a salamander has more than 4 handlers ^

5. Sgiusini
    Saurus

Ok, but then they are not an unit? It seems odd, are the Salamanders not allowed to eat handlers From the other Salamanders? Does the unit need to make Monster reaction if a Salamanders eats 4 handlers but there are still handlers from other Salamanders in the unit? Does the unit leaves behind the uncontrolled salamander?

6. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

The last sentence In the BRB states that “if the monster is removed, so are its handlers”.

So when the salamander dies, the handlers that were deployed with it should have been removed from the table.

However, the scenario you raise would suggest, that a salamander who has eaten all of its handlers but is in a unit where another salamander has handlers remaining would not have to roll on the monster reaction table and in turn would presumably be able to “eat” the remaining handlers if necessary.

The two scenarios do not cause a conflict as far as I can see. I’m not a rules and expert but that’s how I’ve played it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  7. Sgiusini
    Saurus

I think it would be unproductive to track wich skink belong to each salamander, since it is a single unit.

Thank you for your Help! I will bring it to my gaming group.

8. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Sgiusini likes this.
  9. Sgiusini
    Saurus

I disagree, my point is: since they form a single unit, and there are no rules specifying they Must be treated as different units for damage control and Monster reaction, it is not supposed to not be treated as an unit.
    I appreciate your help in this matter, once my group has a solution that work for us, I will write here.
    Thank you!

10. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Worth noting that it says on page 46 of the the army book:

"If the unit needs to take a monster reaction test, the result applies to all remaining monstrous beasts"