1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saurus to Guard Kitbash

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pritt, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Pritt
    Skink

Pritt Member

Hi All,

Starting to get my forces together and have decided to build my army around defence.

I'm looking to build on my Saurus Guard unit, and have some spare Saurus which I'm thinking of kit bashing, pictures attached.

I think when in a large unit they will fit in quite well, despite being so much skinnier! The only thing I need to work on is getting them a little more armoured...

Standard Guard on the left, kitbash on the right.

20160215_215051.jpg 20160215_215020.jpg 20160215_215029.jpg 20160215_215039.jpg

Warden, Jorgik, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They will be fine and they look great, why not start a blog in the painting section so we can see your progress.

3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

That looks great! I didn't even realise they weren't normal guard! Nice use of the shoulder pads :)

I agree with Corsfoot, get a blog! Everyone here is really nice and will often give great tips!

4. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Great idea! Great performance! And if they are in one big unit I bet no one will recognize that they are different...
    ... And personally I like if there is some variety in a unit...

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That kit-bashed saurus warrior will look really good alongside the rest of his temple guard compatriots. Great work.

6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These look amazing! I want the tutorial!

7. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

They do look really good! By the way, how did you manage to have full body left overs?

8. Pritt
    Skink

Pritt Member

The one on the right is the kit bash, left is a standard Guard for comparison!

The body isn't a left over, just decided that instead of expanding my 12 standard Saurus Warriors, I'd be better with a larger unit of Guard, and the Guard box comes with loads of heads and shields...

I'll post a proper tutorial tonight, but basically you need:

One standard Saurus Warrior
    One Saurus Warrior spear arm
    One Saurus Warrior hand weapon
    One Saurus Guard shield
    One Saurus Guard head

Pop the head and arms off your Warrior, stick on the head and shield from the Guard.

Cut off the hand weapon at the hand, and the spear about midway up, and stick them together, then pop them on the mini.

I used a shoulder pad on the shoulder to hide the skinny arm a bit, and also cut down some of the back spines and added one there.

Will post a step by step and painted comparison tonight when I do the other 11!

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Pritt
    Skink

Pritt Member

Update: Didn't get a chance to paint tonight but put together a quick tutorial for bashing your own Guard together.

First I get the bits together, clean off mold lines etc.

Optional: I use a knife to slim down the neck on the Guard head a little, so it fits the neck of the Warrior properly.

You will need:

Saurus Warrior Body
    Saurus Warrior Hand Weapon
    Saurus Warrior Spear
    Saurus Guard Head
    Saurus Guard Shield
    Bits to make it look a bit more killy. Spikes, bones, shoulder pads, skulls etc all work well. There are some good bits on the Saurus Cavalry sprue too. In this example I've just used the Guard bone jaw.

20160216_221114_001.jpg

Next I stick the head on the body, and cut the spear about half an inch above the hand, measure it against a Guard halbard to get a better idea.

I also cut the hand weapon off at the hand, I find it easiest to be accurate if you cut through the middle of the hand, between the fingers, then shave the rest off up to the hilt with a sharp knife (get a grown up to help you etc)

20160216_221724.jpg

Next, stick it all together!

I tend to leave the shield arm and weapon arm off until its painted, to make details easier to access.

On this model I'm using the jaw bones as shoulder pads, I generally try and cover the skinniest bits of the Saurus Warrior Body and arm so he doesn't look too small in with the bigger Guard models.

20160216_222105.jpg

Hope this helps someone in some way, I'll get a few painted ones up when they are done and put them next to finished Guard models for comparison! Will also kick off the progress blog this week (I hope!)

Bowser, tom ndege, Bracnos and 2 others like this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Simple but impressive conversion, thanks for the step-by-step pictures. I was always wondering how the newer temple guard heads would look on the regular saurus bodies. I will have to reinvent the champions for my saurus infantry blocks. Keep up the good work!

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Thanks for the tutorial @Pritt . Awesome stuff!

12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Surprised by the halberd conversion, I would´t have ever thought about it!! I thought you simply used the temple guards´

13. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Nice dude this is a simple cost effective way to make the most out of the extra bits you get with the temple guards .

14. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

That's great, I was wondering if it was possible, I love converting/kitbashing. Awesome to see that it can.