1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saurus Warrior Sculpt

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sikeron, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Hi there....

I just wanted to know what you guys think of my own saurus warrior desgin. I am not a big fan of the plasitc GW saurus warrior style... to slim... I imagine the saurus warriors to be heavily musculed, a little bit hunched troopers of the old ones. To be honest, I had these pictures posted a my usual German forum board and they sort of disliked my desgin... too bulky... stuff like that... My plan is to sculpt and mold 3 different type legs and torsos... The tail will be done using green stuff attached to the resin cast (not done yet to first cast). Number 1 is done and number 2 is about half sulpted...

So what do you guys think? Look for comments....

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looks like a fun conversion...
    Although I think the neck could be a little shorter... maybe?

3. theodmino
    Saurus

theodmino New Member

Man that looks crazy! To be honest , it's a little to "beef" for my liking. Although, I can see alot of potential for this. Just ad the tail and i'm sure it will look great.

4. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I think the arms and neck need a little work but everything else looks great

5. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Wow, it's like a Saurus on Roids! Even though I'm not that much of a fan, I love the work done to get it there.

6. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

I do agree that it looks a little to buff, but I think if you painted a army of these up and fielded them they would look AMAZING.
    Great job and continue your work with them, I can see this army being one of the greatest conversions ive seen.

7. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

I think it's time for the Blood Bowl commissioner to check for performance enhancing drugs on the Lizardman team!

--DF2K

8. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I like the buff lizard look personally, just like I said the arms need some work take a look at som anatomy books for reference

9. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Hi there...

Thx for your comments so far....

I can shorten the neck... no big deal.... I'll try that... just a little chopping and I'll see if it makes a difference.

The arms... well... I realised that the upper arms are too short... while sculpting the torso I hadnt thought of the hands so I misjudged the length of the upper and lower arm... I am not going to fix that concerning the first torso but of course I will take that into account when doing the arms of the second torso.
    Cheers..

10. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

I applaud your obvious skill with a sculpting knife, but i do feel the hunch doesn't suit the model IMHO.

I think the design would be suited for an individual model, say an oldblood on maybe used as a kroxigor ancient conversion. Would certainly stand out from the rest but i'm not sure the overall look would seem right if you had say a unit of 25+ saurus like this.

Great work nevertheless.

Yours Aye

Mixer

11. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Question for you what material did you use for the sculpt?

12. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

lol that was also going to be my question.

Also how hard/ costly is it to create a mould? i ask as i was thinking of using a velociraptor toy to mould new cold ones and maybe try a trex for carnosaurs.

Yours Aye

Mixer

13. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

@ Craken and mixer86

Due to limited time, hobbywise, I had to try different sculpting putties, looking for a putty I could push and squeeze over a longer period of time without curing in between my hobby sessions. So I finally settled with FIMO and FIMO MIX QUICK at a 50/50 ratio.... Does the trick for me..... And it is cheap as well.. And on weekends I can sit down with my 6 year old son and we both can do some fimo sculptures.... He is far faster than me :D

The mould is a 2 piece mould at 40gr. each.... I had some RTV silicone rubber left..... well estimated guess of the material price for the mould would be 5$.

I only need 5ml of resin to cast the legs for instance... Material cost for one pair of legs... 10 cents...

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I love it actually. You do need to bulk up the neck a bit to make the transition to the head look more natural, but speaking as a fellow converter/sculptor, a whole army of these guys would be awesome, IMO.

15. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Hi there

I continued sculpting the second torso and altered the arm design, enlarging the upper arm a bit and I think the new proportions work well... better than the first one...

16. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

will they get a tail eventually?
    will you use the original saurus head, or will you make a completely new one?
    will you post a pic of the back of the models?
    will batman escape the riddlers trap

17. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll have to look into those, I currently use green stuff but it is quite costly

18. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Had some spare time to continue this project....

@ Lord Tsunami .... I attached a picture showing the backside and the newly done tail... I'll be using the GW Saurus heads, hands and weapons as well as additional equipment that comes in the box... still a long way to go....

Also included are some shots of the second saurus warrior... Still missig the tail area on the backside and the front crotch. I`d like to do some kind of scale armour loin cloth thing... but I failed the first time trying to scratch built it... anyone got an easy way to sculpt scale armour?

p.s.: I can`t insert any images right now... Obviously to wide, although other picturs I had linked are much wider... Plz copy and paste... cheers...

19. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

20. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Hi there...

here is my first try to do a Lizardmen related head scultp.... I intended to use it for a kroxigor sculpt but it turned out rather large... maybe I should use it for a carnosaur sculpt... not decided yet.... mayeb huge kroxigor??? any suggestions?