1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Tactica: List building, Terrain and Deployment

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by The Hunted, Jan 12, 2010.

1. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Welcome all! Behold my first creation! As requested, List building, terrain and Deployment.
    I did my very best, and hope somebody finds it usefull. I definetaly want to write more of these, having great fun doing so. The hours fly past, which in my case is a good thing, and I think I might do something usefull.
    Now beware: it is VERY long. But I think my writing is easy to read through. And if one might think otherwise, please say so. In the next posts the tactica will reveal itself!

Enjoy!

The Hunted

2. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

List building, terrain placement, and deployment.

1. List building
    2. Terrain
    3. Deploy

1. List Building
    So, list building. Every player has to do it, not every player does it ‘ right’ (There are more than 1 ways to do it!). You need some basics to get started.

1. What points level do we play?
    2. Is it a friendly or a tournament list?
    3. Is it comped in any way?
    4. What kind of opponents will I be facing?
    5. Do I have a ‘must-have’ unit?

Of course you need to know the points level you’re playing before making a list. Also, a tournament list will pretty much always be harder than a friendly list. Army comp can be either by house rules (NO 2 stanks! Stuff like that), or by tourney rules: 2nd stank: -2. You’d want to check these rules out before making your list. A tourney list should be an all-comers list, with something vs. daemons, VC and DE (Jan. 2010). Of course, you could face any army but the ‘Big 3’ are represented a lot. A friendly list should be an all-comers most off the time. But in a friendly environment, it’s ok to experiment.
    The ‘must-have’ unit is something some players have; if you just painted your brand new kroxigor, you want to play with them! So you adjust your list to fit them in. If you don’t have this way of thinking, forget this part!

All the above is normal, and every player thinks about them sooner or later in their list design.
    Now, I’m going to put 2 of my lists down here and examine them thoroughly.
    (In our gaming group, the standard points level is 1250)

Combat List:
    Scar-Vet-CO-LA-Enchanted Shield-Sword of Might-BSB
    Scar-Vet-CO-LA-Maiming Shield-Burning Blade of Chotec-General

Core:
    10 skinks
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    18 Saurus Warriors-Standard-Musician-spears
    17 Saurus Warriors-Standard-Musician-spears

Special:
    4 Terradons
    7 chameleon skinks

Rare:
    1 Salamander w/extra handler

Magic List:
    Skink Priest-Level 2-Cloak of Feathers-Plaque of Tepok
    Skink Priest-Level 2-Rod of the Storm
    Scar-Vet-LA-Sh-Gw-Charm of the Jaguar Warrior

Core:
    15 Saurus Warriors-Standard-Musician-spears
    15 Saurus Warriors-Standard-Musician-spears
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skinks

Special:
    4 Terradons
    6 chameleon skinks

Rare:
    1 Salamander w/extra handler.

My opponents are Empire, Brettonia and High Elves.
    It is a friendly environment. I do not have a must-have unit. Nor is the list comped, but we don’t like uber hardcore armies. So it’s more of a Moral-comp…

Let’s examine the lists first.
    Combat list:
    Loads of supporting skinks, who will redirect the enemy away or to the Saurus (depending on board position). 2 Solid blocks of Saurii, 2 powerful heroes.

Magic list:
    Loads of supporting skinks, who will redirect the enemy away or to the Saurus (depending on board position). 2 Good blocks of Saurii, lots of magic between the heroes.

Similarities: Loads of support. This has to do with my playing style; I love to smash things with powerful hammers. But I also love making a battle plan on redirecting the enemy and striking where I can win. You learn a lot from leaving the hammers at home, and only bringing the skinks.
    The combat list wins by forcing the enemy to face my powerful blocks with things that I can handle. And redirecting the things I cannot handle. Any war machines or missile troops will have a hard time too. With so many skinks, you can also put them right behind the enemy blocks; thus making sure they are destroyed even if you don’t pursue (cross firing).
    The Magic list plays very different. You need to redirect even more, and find suitable targets/LOS for your mages. You’d want 1 offensive spell on the Lore of Heavens per mage. That’s the ideal case; Uranon’s Thunderbolt is a great threat to any knight roaming the field. If not, you want to get into combat and make your rerolls count. The blocks are solid, but not invincible.

The Hunted

3. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

That’s a pretty quick rundown of both lists, I could go on and on. But we’re here for some list BUILDING! I have made 9 steps to make your list. Here they are:

Step 1: Determine the focus of your army.
    Step 2: Determine what you’ll need for your focus.
    Step 3: Determine the general.
    Step 4: Make decisions
    Step 5: Fine tuning
    Step 6: Almost there..
    Step 7: Get more people looking at it.
    Step 8: Finish it!
    Step 9: Playtest!!

So, off we go with step 1.

I designed my Combat List to defeat anything in its path, my opponent cannot avoid my blocks because my skinks will then direct them into it. Here, the focus is winning in combat, so make sure you can win!

If you focus is magic heavy, you need multiple mages. But mages alone is not enough; you need something to protect the mages. Because if the mages die in a magic-focused list: you’re a long long way from home…

Step 3: Determine the general.
    This step is very important at 2000 points and above. Because a Slann-based list will play vastly different than an Oldblood one. Obviously, the focus of your army often determines the General(/main hero) for your army. The general has more impact than one might think, a Scar-vet has great influence on skinks. 2 meager skink priests have no influence on your troops whatsoever, although they do cast magic…

Step 4: Make decisions
    Make a first draft of your list. What do you really NEED, what do you want? Lots of support? At least 2 anvils? Get a pen and some paper, and make something. Don’t think too long about it all, that’s for later. Then, once you’re done, count it all up. Then you’ll get a better idea of what’s possible in this points level.
    If necessary repeat. That is, if you are way over your points limit. Not counting mistakes in calculating :D

First fine-tuning of the list. If you had any ‘luxury units’ in the first draft, get them out. Then start looking closer. What was my focus? Can I use this army to complete my focus? If not, get back designing. If yes, you’re on your way.
    Then once you made some decisions on cutting on units here and there, count again.
    If you’re under, marvelous! Bring back stuff you like/think you need. Upgrade you stegadon to an ancient stegadon, or even mount the big boy with a skink chief and stegadon war-spear? Get an extra terradon in your unit, maybe you want to bring back the chameleon skinks you love? It’s these kind of things you want to do.
    If your over, no worries; just get on.

Tip: If you’re doubting too much, leave the list for a couple of hours, or even days. And then get back to it, a break can me very refreshing and makes you think twice about all the units. Any flaws are more easily spotted this way! Also, see ‘Multiple ways of dealing with a problem’ down below.

Step 6: Almost there..
    If you’re under the points limit, go on and add things you might call ‘luxury’. Get that extra skink unit, or even buy a Skrox unit. Give musicians to units, maybe some extra magic items on your heroes? All depending on your personal flavor and list.
    If you’re over the points limit, make the final decisions needed.
    ~100 points over: Do you need that big fatty Scar-vet? What do the extra 5 Saurus actually do? Is that unit as useful as I think it is? Ask yourself these questions, don’t drop the units you’ve earlier decided on keeping them (i.e. minimal 2 anvils [like, Saurus]). Instead, start looking for points elsewhere, if you cannot seem to find anything you could drop; you’ve probably overdone it. You have too many demands on a list in this points level.
    “I want at least 2 anvils, 1 very good hammer, 1 semi-hammer, Terradons, 30 skink skirmishers, 2 Choppy Scar-Veterans and more than decent magic defense.”…..Chances are; this is too much.

But now what? You still want to deal with magic, you hate removing models killed by magic. There are some ways to deal with this problem:
    1.Scroll caddies. A level 2 skink priest with diadem+ a level 1 priest carrying 2 scrolls. Basic, but very decent set-up.
    2.Active magic defense, Wood elves use this tactic a lot. Use your terradons, Salamanders, Skinks, skink chiefs, scar-veterans, anything somewhat disposable (your Slann is 98% of the time NOT disposable!!!) To get rid of the enemy wizard(s). Terradons, Sala’s and skinks fit the job best. Aim all your attacks at the wizard, and hope something gets through. Repeat if necessary.
    Versus a magic-heavy army, killing the supporting mages (hero-level, thus 2 wounds, bar some Undead) helps a lot! Remember, wizards rarely have defensive items, once in close combat; they’re in trouble…(of course, every army has items that are good; but that would be too much right now).
    3. screening, use your skinks to take the blows from magic instead of your expensive Saurii. Works only to a certain degree, and if your opponent has a decent shooting phase, you might be in for a world of trouble. Remember, Lizardmen are at best in the later stages of the game; our short-ranged weaponry is now (hopefully) in range, or in combat. Don’t panic if you lost a good deal of troops on the way in.

Most of the time, scroll caddies are used. But Lizardmen have some very good units for the use of Active magic defense. Terradons are the undisputed nr.1 in this scenario, but skinks and salamanders fit this role as well. A suicidal charge is necessary quite a lot of the time. Remember though, that if you’ve done a wound; you’ve gained half-points for a supporting mage; put him in danger of a miscast-death; soften him up for the Saurii charge; Soften him up for a second sui charge (for instance, after your Terradons rally!)
    90 points of terradons, could very well be worthwhile to ‘trade’ against a 150+ points of supporting mage. Pick your sui-charges though, as a 1 wound mage can still cast away!
    What I’m trying to say (aside from the multiple ways of magic defense) is the following:
    Pretty much every problem has multiple ways of solving: Is your opponent running you over?
    1. Get bigger blocks
    2. Get more killy-ness in the blocks (scar-vets)
    3. Get more SCR in the blocks (warbanner, BSB)
    4. use skinks to redirect
    5. march block AND redirect

That’s 5 (ok…4½…) ways to deal with enemy hammers running you over. Multiple ways to deal with every problem! That’s also why leaving your list for a couple of hours/days might help. When you get back at it, you might realize the 2nd and 3rd way to deal with the problem. If you keep sitting at that desk mauling over the problem, you’re only going to buy bigger blocks…

~200 points over: You probably need to drop a whole unit here. No small changes can save the day for you. (By a whole unit I mean; anything that is a real investment. Not that single jungle-swarm you have running around…[although you might want to drop that AS WELL!]}
    But now what? I really want those 2 anvils!
    Maybe you should think a bit different. As with my magic list above, I only have 2 anvils, which are not as durable one might think! Magic, Shooting and combat take casualties! So, any combat I don’t want to find myself into, I don’t get myself into! I’m using my plethora of skinks to redirect the enemy and avoid combat.
    See above: multiple ways to deal with a problem.

~300 points over: You really need to drop a whole unit (of considerable value) and probably some support as well. You have probably demanded too much out of the points value. This can be solved, by changing your way of handling problems (and thus, changing your way of thinking). And choosing the right unit to drop.

~400+ points over: Stop. Get back to your first draft and work your way down from there. You have really expected too much out of the army. Take a break, then get back on your list. What do you really need? What do you really want? Etc…

This is a very important step. If you think you have made THE list. Show it, either online of to a friend (who knows a thing or 2 about Lizardmen/Warhammer). It has multiple reasons:
    First of, anything that is illegal is easily spotted by ‘the other guy’ (your list has too much specials). Much like reading your own essay, the other guy spot mistakes you read over and over again!
    Second of all, they add new insights to your tactics/list. Other players, other playing styles, other ideas which are good/bad. A small discussion is a good thing, do you really need that unit?
    Third, the other guys spots unnecessary upgrades/units/items. Hopefully, he will explain WHY it is unnecessary, AND offer a suggestion he would make to the list.

Step 8: Finish it!
    With the added knowledge from the other guy, letting the list rest for awhile, working on it for sometime: you can finish the list. Remove the musician, and add an extra skink. Small things like this, which could make the difference.

Step 9: Playtest!!
    No matter how strong or cool an army looks on paper, it might just crumble in practice. So playtest it for a minimum of 3 games. In those 3 games, you have a pretty good idea on how the list works. And how to handle each individual unit in conjunction with the overall army. Then you can change the list accordingly.
    For instance: When I came into the game, I just loved Kroxigor. I thought that M6 and by use of redirecting, they could beat up anything they touched. In practice: they got shot, avoided and weakened. By the time they saw combat they were to weak to do anything. Or, simply missed with their WS3 attacks. I used them 4 games, and dropped them altogether. Changed my list completely around, and moved on.
    I just couldn’t get kroxigor to work for me (as much as I cannot find use for Skrox units), but I’m more than sure than someone else, with a different style/way of thinking, makes use of Kroxes very well indeed. So, no matter what the other guy says: If you are absolutely sure that a specific unit could work for you, tell him (neatly!) and prove it. This has a dangerous side as well: you might start thinking (for instance!) your unit of 5 jungle swarms is the absolute Cream of Warhammer. X of the other guys have loads of arguments that it is not (too big, either split or drop…etc…), but you remain convinced. You lose quite a lot of the time, but blame the losses on: bad luck (time and time again….), or other elements of your list. Whilst in truth, 5 jungle swarms isn’t such a good idea….

There you have it!
    You have successfully designed your army list! Congratulations!
    Now, the next question: how to deploy terrain ‘correctly’. That’s where my next installment is about.

Extra stuff!
    Now I am going to build up a list from scratch. Using the steps I talked about above.

Hmm…what kind of army do I want to make. I think for this example, I’ll try to make an all-comers army. This army should stand a good chance vs. any army in the game. 2000 points of Lizardmen goodies…can’t wait!

Well, I need something of everything. A Slann is a very balanced way of starting off. I want him to be good at the offense and of course; his leadership. Temple Guard for Slann protection, another anvil (2 anvils). My ‘standard support’ if possible. With my standard support I mean: 2x10 skink skirmishers, 1x10 skinks, 4 Terradons, 7 chameleon skinks and a Salamander. This supporting cast can deal with so many things, it’s just amazing. If points allow, I’d like to add a Hammer element in my army. So I can decide a battle on raw power as well as good cooperation of units.

Step 3: Determine the general. As I already reasoned above, I need a Slann for this job. An Oldblood would push the list too much to a close-combat army. A hero-level general is also very possible, but you quickly need 4 heroes then. 1 Scar-vet general, 2 priests for magic defence, and you’d want a BSB most of the time as well. That’s expensive!
    So, a Slann it is.

Step 4: Make decisions.
    Ok, my first draft looks like this:
    Slann, General, BSB, Warbanner, Focused Rumination, Focus of Mystery, Power Stone, Dispell scroll.
    Skink priest, level 2, Diadem, Dispell scroll
    Skink chief, riding Ancient Stegadon. Sh, Stegadon War-spear.

18 Saurus Spears, FC
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skinks

4 Terradons
    7 chameleon skinks
    16 Temple Guard, standard and musician
    5 Saurus Cold One Riders

1 Salamander w/extra handler.

Some explanation: My slann is present, with a good offense setup. Not too expensive either (for a Slann that is). The Skink Priest is there for my added magic defence, he isn’t necessary but he is very nice to have.
    The Skink chief and his ancient is a Hammer. And a very good one too!
    18 Saurus Spears is an anvil. They can kill things they get in CC with, but most of all they have to hold the line. Skirmishers are there to harass the enemy and maybe grab some VP on the way. 10 normal skinks are redirectors, and redirectors only. If they manage to get away, and remain above US5: they can also do well in protecting a table quarter. Terradons and chameleon skinks are both very good, I just love these guys. The Temple guard are my second anvil. As well as protecting my precious Slann, and even be a SCR beast! 5 SCOR are my 2nd hammer. They don’t hit as hard as my Skink chief, but the enemy will be wary of their hitting power. The 2 Salamanders are there for shooting support, with the added bonus of having great influence on psychology as well. They will head for the big blocks of troops most of the time. Remember they are US5+ to start of, so they can claim a Table Quarter as well. Also, redirecting is very possible with the Salamander.
    So, can I fit this all into 2k? let’s count it up!
    420+150+382+246+70+70+50+120+72+80+80+175+277=2192
    So, we’re about 200 points over. Nothing to worry about. Moving on…

So, here we’re going to cut a little bit more. Let’s see, I have all my special and rare slots in use. I do have a very good magic defense, and a solid offense. I have 2 strong anvils, and 2 strong hammers. My support is good too. So, what to drop? Well, I could try for the active magic defense. If I replace the skink priest by a unit of Skrox (11/1). This unit is also vs. opponents who use little magic. The slann can keep some magic at bay, I do want the diadem of power in my army. So, I simply equip the slann with it, now he has a choice of casting some spells, ore simply defend against the enemy’s magic.
    So, drop Skink priest (150)
    Add: 11 skinks with 1 Kroxigor, Diadem of Power on Slann.
    I only saved 15 points with this move, but I changed quite a lot! In fact, with the added Skrox the list becomes move aggressive. Which I absolutely don’t mind, I like attacking as it fits my playing style. This army can still hold the line against Brettonia, and then counter-attack.
    There are some things that consider thought;
    The SCOR. Should I drop them to free up a lot of points? They are a good hammer…
    The Slann. He is reasonable on offense and defense. Although any army with a decent magic defense will shut the Slann down. And a magic-heavy army will rain down spell after spell. It seems that my general isn’t that ready yet. So, do I want him to protect? Or do I want him to dish out the damage?
    Tough choice here, but I will go for defense this time. If I can shut down my opponents magic phase with my Slann, and the opponents shooting with my Terradons and (chameleon) skinks. I’m doing well.
    So, changing some more.
    Slann: Focused Rumination, the Becalming Cogiitation. BSB, Dispel scroll, Diadem of Power, War Drums. Warbanner 435. No points saved (he got more expensive!), but the Slann has a real purpose right now: defensive.
    The Focused Rumination is simply too good not to have, and with this set-up: I have 4-6PD+any ‘free’. 4-6 DD, 1 scroll And the best enemy wizard loses al 6’s…
    That means I can cast some offensive spells when my opponent lost his magic defense, but I can stop a lot of enemy magic with the Slann. I like him. I really need points now, so I will drop the SCOR.
    Why? Well, 16 TG with a Slann who can always march is more of a SCR hammer. 3 ranks, banner, BSB, warbanner=6. Possibly 7 with outnumbering, and the odd wound. These guys can go on adventure, with the Skrox in support for a flank; very dangerous.
    So, the list as it stands right now:

Slann, General, BSB, Focused Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Dispel scroll, Diadem of power, War banner.
    Skink Chief, sh, Stegadon war-spear, ancient stegadon.

18 Saurii, FC, spears
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skinks
    11/1 Skinks/kroxigor.

4 Terradons
    7 chameleon skinks
    16 TG, Standard, Musician
    1 Salamande w/extra handler

For a grand total of: 1992.
    Looking good. Next step:

Step 6: Almost there…
    Ok. I have 8 points left. Is there anything I can change, if I need the points.
    Well, I could drop the champion in the Saurii. I could drop a Terradon, maybe 2 chameleon skinks. A Salamander if necessary. If really necessary: make my Ancient stegadon a regular one. What do I might add?
    Musician on Skrox, a scar-Veteran for raw combat power, bring back the SCOR, supporting unit of Saurii (12 with spears).
    Out of these options, I like the scar-veteran the best. He would be expendable. I’d like him to be good against mages, so he needs to be fast and must do 2 wounds. That’s not too hard!
    Scar-Vet, LA,Sh,CO, Bane Head, Sword of the Hornet. 133 points. Fast, pretty cheap, deadly.
    He can have 2 roles: 1st one is to head straight for the mage. Or, he could sit with the Skrox. It would look somewhat awkward (3 different base sizes) but it works. If they ever have to receive a charge, the Sword of the Hornet is there to strike some enemies away. This guy could go anywhere where there is a threat, and together with his unit come out on top (if somewhat evenly matched). So, I need 139 points do achieve this.
    Drop: champion in the Saurii, a chameleon skink, a terradon, a Salamander and the extra handler from the other Salamander. That gives me 139 points exact and allows me to make the changes I wish.
    So, current list:
    Slann, General, BSB, The Focused Rumination, The Becalming Cogitation, Dispel Scroll, Diadem of Power, War Drums, War Banner.
    Scar-Veteran, LA, Sh, CO, Bane Head, Sword of the Hornet
    18 Saurus Warriors, Spears, Standard, Musician
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skinks
    11/1 skinks/kroxigor, musician
    3 Terradons
    6 chameleon skinks
    16 TG, St, Mu
    1 Salamander.
    Total: 2004 points. Still 4 points over, I must have miscalculated somewhere.
    No worries though, as I will drop the musician on the Saurus Warriors. They want to be withing 12” of the Slann anytime. So won’t need it too bad. If they fail on musician, I have a Ld8 Cold-Blooded with reroll break test to make…
    So: 1998 points then. Nice!

This step I can only do after I posted this tact. But I will do it! I think it’s a nice list.
    Has many ways to deal with enemy magic, has a real hammer, and a secondary one (TG). And strong support to annoy the heck out of my opponents. Any flaws? http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/army-by-tactica.2979/ That's the link to go to the list. Discuss!

The Hunted

4. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Terrain Placement

On this subject I’ll be very cautious. Each tournament and each gaming group has different ways of placing terrain. Therefore I’ll not go as in depth on putting it on the table. But I’m going more for recognizing terrain marks.

1stExampleTerrainFunnel.jpg

Explanation:
    Dark blue blocks: Saurus Warriors with spears
    Light blue big base: Stegadon (of some sort)
    Light blue small skirmish: skink skirmishers
    Light blue small ranked unit: 10 skinks, redirectors
    Light blue big ranked unit: Skrox support.
    3 light blue bases (in woods on first picture): Terradons
    Dark blue cavalry bases: Saurus Cold One Cavalry.

So, simple 1st example. The Saurus warriors (dark blue) are at the end of a neat natural funnel created by the 2 forests. They plug that gap, the other Saurii teams up with the Stegadon to hold the line between the forest and the building. The left flank is (in this case) made of a supporting cast. Holding up the enemy (just picture them in!) and possibly destroying them with the Skrox support. The right flank is territory of the SCOR. Any enemy there will be charged by the SCOR, or forced to charge the bait of the skinks, hopefully receiving a flank charge from the SCOR. Terradons have found their spot in the forests, eyeing on the enemy war machine on the hill (in red).
    Everybody awake? I hope you guys understand these maps. Probably you will, but I’ll try and explain as much as I can.

2ndExampleTerrainskinkvscavalry.jpg

Small example (useful tip?): This unit of skinks is trying to stall the enemy. By making use of the hill, they can hide for an extra turn while the cavalry has to move up trying to face the skinks again. With a bit of luck you can march block the enemy knights as well!
    So, 2nd main example on how terrain has such a major factor on the game.

3rdDeploymentrefusedflankmoving.jpg

The empire army (red) has a major advantage over the Lizardmen army (blue). A good firebase, and good natural funnels. On the right flank there isn’t much interfering terrain, but the units the Lizardmen deployed there will be shot down quickly and deadly.
    The center is in hands of the Lizardmen, but the Empire will simply not engage. The (green) Temple Guard stand very central, but the good (for the Slann, or Close Combat) are hidden. It will take a long march to reach the enemy.
    Whilst the left flank is not strong on both sides, the empire will have the advantage here. Their strong and cheap knights will smash the Skrox on the charge, and they can scare the skinks away as a bonus. Of course the terradons can always fly to a good position, finding a good target.
    But the Lizardmen player will lose this battle if based purely on terrain and movement. So, thank god it isn’t!

So, recognizing terrain funnels on the whole is pretty easy. Now for some individual terrain pieces.
    Starting with: woods.
    Woods are one of my favorite terrain pieces. You can hide in them, you can force the enemy in a forest and thus slowing it down greatly. You can hide behind them and thus remain capable of full movement. Terradons can fly in them, which is just awesome. Also, (AFAIK) Stegadons can hide behind woods! As your other units take out the great cannon, your stegadon is still safe and will come out and play later.
    I think we can use the hiding aspect to our advantage greatly. I can flush light units out of them with my Scar-vet (in the list I made above). And sit in there myself!
    My skink unit consisting of 3 skinks (after some shooting and magic) can hide in the woods to protect VP’s. Woods are nice to have on the battlefield, but not so versus wood elves (no arguments needed).
    Next:
    Swamps.
    Swamps are a terrain feature any gunline loves. Blocks no LOS, very difficult terrain. So if an opponent finds himself in a Swamp, they’re in there for quite a while if they don’t have special rules or anything silly…
    Swamps are something the heavy lizards don’t really like. We don’t have real long-ranged firepower. Only magic can do that. But they heavies cannot go through the swamp either. A Swamp is defined as a water feature; thus our nimble aquatic troops rush right through.
    While the dwarves stand smiling on the other end of the swamp loading their guns…when all of the sudden that Salamander's flames panics them away!
    Remember to talk this through with your opponent. Is it really a water feature? or is it some 'normal' very difficult terrain. Prevent discussions by defining terrain on forehand.
    So: Swamps are fun for you aquatic troops to move through quickly, but your other units will find themselves hating swamps. Therefore, plan accordingly. Placing saurii directly across a swamp is generally a bad idea. But with skinks, this isn't a problem. Work you way around them (which shouldn't be too hard) and continue the battle smoothly. Try redirecting your opponent's hammers into a swamp for addes fun!
    Next:
    Hills.
    Hills are great fun with Cannons. And for hiding Stegadons…
    Unfortunately, we do not profit greatly from hills. As has been stated earlier, we do not have long ranged firepower. Only magic can do that, but mostly 24”. Still, hills are nice; block LOS is always great fun. If needed you can storm the hill and see the unit behind; with woods this is more difficult.
    Next:
    Impassable terrain.
    My personal favorite! I can always work these things into my battle plan. I just love to see how the enemy flees their way into impassable terrain. Splat!
    Blocks LOS, nothing can move into/onto it and if an enemy flees into it: destroyed. If you combine this with a hammer (my Ancient or the TG) add in a touch of angling and you’re set!
    Next:
    Rivers.
    Greatly annoying to your opponent, great joy for aquatic units! Pretty much the same as swamps, only we don’t get hindered by it!
    Next:
    Lakes.
    Fantastic! Absolutely great! Scout your chameleons in there, or get some skinks in there ASAP. Then: fire those blowpipes and remain within 8”…
    Same as swamps, only we don’t get hindered by them. In fact: we can make great use of them!
    Next:
    Buildings.
    Very dangerous, an enemy missile unit with mage sitting in a building are very tough. They can see all around, and still fire. Also, Stegadons, Terradons and Salamanders cannot reach them. At all…which just sucks. Chances are slim that your Saurii are going to reach it, so it’s best to either:
    Leave it alone, and deal with the damage. Or scout your chameleons behind it, and occupy it yourself! Then defend for as long as possibl…
    Next:
    Bridges.
    Natural funnels. Stick some Saurii at the other end and your set. Or put a unit ready for flanking. Let them face the ‘road’ the bridge has. The enemy has to move up, receiving the flank charge; or hold up. Skrox are excellent at this, hit just hard enough to deal with most units. And being fairly cheap, so the enemy has more points doing nothing!
    Next:
    Requests?

5. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Deployment
    This is the last subject I will go through this time. The terrain part wasn’t so extensive, so I’m going to try and make up for it in this part.
    So, I will use my list I have made earlier, and will put it here as well (so you don’t have to scroll up)

Slann, General, BSB, The Focused Rumination, The Becalming Cogitation, Dispel Scroll, Diadem of Power, War Drums, War Banner.
    Scar-Veteran, LA, Sh, CO, Bane Head, Sword of the Hornet
    18 Saurus Warriors, Spears, Standard, Musician
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skinks
    11/1 skinks/kroxigor, musician
    3 Terradons
    6 chameleon skinks
    16 TG, St, Mu
    1 Salamander

Now, I’ll talk some stuff through without maps.
    You have 3 units of skinks, a Skrox unit, Terradons and a Salamander you can put as your first drops. When deploying these your opponent still has no idea of where the real bulk of you army goes. It’s safe to deploy these first (although you might want the Skrox as last of these).
    Which would give (in deployment order):
    Skink skirmishers
    Skink skirmishers
    Skinks
    Terradons
    Salamander/Skrox
    Skrox/Salamander
    Saurii
    TG
    Heroes
    Scouts

It’s always a good start to put 10 skink skirmishers in the centre in a long screening line. You’d probably put your anvils in the centre anyway, and now they are screened from the word go. Next, some skink skirmishers placed either on the flank, or near the centre again (but not in it). The redirecting skinks can be placed where you think the enemy hammer will come. Salamander and Skrox are placed where you think is appropriate, Sala likes big infantry blocks. Skrox like light enemy units, both units can mage hunt quite effectively.
    The Saurri and TG are the last you place. These are worth some serious VP, usually; they end up in or near the center. Ofcourse, heroes will be placed last, your skink chief on Stegadon facing something he can handle (and/or hiding from great cannons/artillery). Scouts as the last placement (ofcourse), preferably close to the enemy. To give them a chance of march-blocking/redirecting earlier. With some luck, you can charge an enemy war machine by turn 2 (and hope you do fine in CC!).

Alternatively: you can go for a refused flank.
    Place some skirmishers, Terradons, Salamander and maybe the Skrox on a flank.
    Your TG in the centre, with your saurii ‘inside’. The TG Is the hinge on which the army will move. All your important units (TG, Saurii, Stegadon, maybe Skrox, Scar-vet) are placed on 1 strong flank. The other only consists of light disposable troops, their job is to keep the enemy at bay for as long as possible. I’ll let the maps do the talking for me.

1stDeployment.jpg

From left to right:
    Skinks, Skrox, Terradons, Screening skinks with Saurii and (green) TG behind. Skinks with ancient behind. Chameleons scout in the lake. The program does not allow me to make a clean line of skirmishers, so the screening skinks are 2 units in the map.
    This is quite a balanced setup. The skinks, Skrox, Terradons and chameleon skinks will hold the left flank. While the center is strongly held by Saurii+TG. The right flank is light on support troops, but the Terradons can help out there (as their secondary task). The screening skinks will probably (eventually) deviate to the right, to help.
    Now for the Refused flank.

2ndDeploymentrefusedflank.jpg

6. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

From left to right:
    Skinks, skink skirmishers, terradons in words, Skrox screened by skink skirmishers. TG, Saurus Warriors, Skink chief on Stegadon. Chameleons scouted on the strong flank.
    As the battle progresses the Skrox will go to the centre, trying to come within 12” of the Slann. They can hold up a unit there. The other units on the left flank will be placed first and will redirect/march block/ hold up the enemy there.
    The strong flank will turn left, with the TG being the hinge (next picture)

3rdDeploymentrefusedflankmoving.jpg

Of course, there are no enemies to make it more clear how the moving part works. If your right flank falls, your pretty much doomed. If you let flank falls, make sure you drag something down with them! But you’re still in the game then. The Skrox and TG will cross paths after a while, the Skrox can flank any enemy the TG have in their front. Takes some imagination, but it’s clear they will.

When playing the Refused flank. You have to make a decision in deploying:
    You deploy the weak flank first, then the strong flank.
    You deploy the TF first, then part of the weak flank, and continue with your strong flank.
    Putting down the TG first might give you an advantage, as you can still put the Saurii in the center (other side of TG) making a balanced line. This keeps your opponent guessing, and gives you the flexibility of deploying. If you think your opponent knows your left flank is going to be refused, simply play the balanced line. You now probably have out-deployed him, and have gained a psychological advantage. You opponent thought he was on to you by recognizing the refused flank. What he sees is totally different than he though things would work out, he’s facing the balanced line. You, on the other hand, have simply maintained course throughout deployment and are confident. Game on!

Deploying in general

Just some things I want to talk through.
    Deployment is the most important step of the game
    If you get out-deployed, you’re in for a world of trouble.
    Take a look at your opponents army on forehand. Is it elite? A horde? Lots of support? Are there war machines? Does he have missile troops?
    Pick out the hammers, and how to deal with them. These are important, as they can swing games if you let them unattended.
    If there are missile troops, they are often deployed on a line. A line takes around 10” to deploy. They cannot be deployed effectively behind blocks of troops, as they obscure LOS. They can be placed behind knights/fast stuff. Because they will get out of the way fast enough. War Machines need LOS too, and they want to shoot every single turn. Missile troops can afford not to fire once, sometimes twice a game. Remember that.
    A horde army will cover the entire with of the battlefield. Concentrating your troops on 1 end of the field allows you to ignore some units for the rest of the game, without fighting them. Also, use psychology to your advantage against horde armies.
    An elite army will have important stuff placed long before you do. So place your important units directly across the units you want to get in CC with, in other words: place better units across weaker ones, making sure you destroy them.
    Terradons, chameleon skinks (and other support) can move behind the enemy to crossfire them.
    An army with lots of support (like mine) is IMO, a dangerous one. I’d focus on destroying the enemies support units as quick as I possibly can. Let me explain.
    My other army is dwarves, and once the missile troops and war machines are gone: they are sitting ducks. So, without support, your Saurus warriors are just a slow infantry block which is easily dealt with.

So, this is the end of my first part of the tactica. If you think I missed something (which I naturally did), reply!
    I know it’s very very long, but I did my very best writing it. I hope you guys learned something!

The Hunted

7. Sandman130
    Saurus

Sandman130 New Member

Thank you so much!

I really liked the in depth review of the different kinds of terrain, as well as how to deploy around them. I like the idea of using forests to our advantage as they make funnels and block line of sight, and serve as a bunker for our terradons.

Also, the help with deployment was a really big help. I have one question though, whats the rule about placing terrain near the center? Is it not within 12 inches?

Thanks! And I hope your healing up nicing :)

~Sandman~

8. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Thanks a lot!
    It sure helps getting a positive feedback,

And that rule is you mention is found on page 2 from the rulebook (I own the small one, from BFSP).
    Pretty much at the start of the book.
    I must mention that every group has it's own way of putting down terrain.
    In our group, for instance:
    My opponent and me scramble some terrain together (if nothing is present: paper works. Just put something on top of it so it does not blow away).
    We then lay it down some, and if 1 person is not happy. Well, we change it up untill both parties are happy about it.
    We used to put down terrain in or near the middle, and use the scatter dice to place terrain. (with the normal scatter die and the 40k one used). This however led to much re-rolling as it's hard to put down some neat terrian that way.
    Just do a search of putting down terrain and many folks have many different methods. Suggest it in your gaming group and of you go!
    Thanks again!

The Hunted

9. camo-skink
    Chameleon Skink

camo-skink New Member

very well done, the list building and terrain use and placement were very helpful. keep on posting! :smug:

camo-skink

10. aclaflin
    Skink

aclaflin New Member

Wow, as in depth as you can get. This is exactly what I was hoping for, and way more than I expected. Thanks The Hunted!

11. Kentigern
    Jungle Swarm

Kentigern New Member

Excellent posts, fantastic depth of work you've done there. Bravo! :D

12. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Holy $#%@!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

You really do have a lot of time on your hands, to write all that!

Congratulations :jawdrop:

13. Gorky
    Jungle Swarm

Gorky New Member

Very good work, but i must correct u in one thing, the special rule amphibian / amphibious (u know the special rule of the skinks and kroxis) count for swamps too. That means, open terrain and soft cover, scouts are out of LoS in swamps too. Only our saurus get stuck in them. I really hope that this is not a translation error in the german armybook (would be not the first).

Gorky

14. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Good spot Gorky,

I don't have any books at hand right now, but I'm fairly sure the point you made is correct.
    BUT, it all depends on how you define the terrain feature on forehand. It could be just very difficult terrain that doesn't block LOS. Depends....
    And thanks for all the good replies...:)

The Hunted

15. the ironfoot
    Cold One

the ironfoot New Member

I believe it counts for all water features. btw it's Aquatic :p

16. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

Yeah in the Aquatic description it says that marshes, rivers, lakes or any other water feature, so anything that contains water counts (you must of course discuss if the terrain piece is a water feature first, as Haunted has mentioned). Any scouts that deploys in water is treated like its a forest, anything within 2" of the border of the terrain piece is out of LOS, even if the terrain it self doesnt block LOS (Im assuming its beacause they dive under water and hide).

17. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I changed the Swamp part in terrain. I'm pretty sure I got it good this time :)
    Small change after a good spot by Gorky.

The Hunted