1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Big TOW Lizardmen Tactica

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Jan 23, 2024.

1. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

What makes you say that the giant bow is the crews weapon? The rulebook is very clear that the crew have "hand weapons and javelin" and the giant bow is attached to the stegadon

Edit - or are you saying the chief can't use it because the rule says he can't use the beasts weapon? If so then you're exactly right. No one can use it. Our giant bow can literally never be used according to uou.

Assume text is supposed to be there (like with every other chariot) saying the crew can use it. The rulebook says the chief is part of the crew.

2. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Exactly. The house rule we are interpreting here says specifically that the crew can use it. Weapons the crew can use and weapons the character can use are different things, per the main rules.

You can make a different rule if you don't like that one, but that is what it says.

3. discomute
    Terradon

And page 205 says "When a character mounts a chariot, they join its crew.. " so we know the character is considered part of the crew.

You can make a different rule if you don't like that one, but that is what it says.

4. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

HOWDAH applies the split proflies chariots...
    However note Split profile Chariots is different on page 194 and 203.
    And the howdah rule refers to the one on 194.

Probably an oversight, but 194 doesn't mention characters, and definitely pedantic. But it adds to this general confusion

But yeah, RAW the stegadon actually has the bow or blow pipes... so he should be firing it. The crew only have javelins. But he has no BS.

Definitely needs an FAQ either way.

5. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Can we all at least agree the Bow should have the Through&Through rule that bolt throwers have?

6. discomute
    Terradon

I hope everyone is sending it in!

That said I reckon RAI is no shoot.

7. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

No, that section is talking about adding total wounds to the chariot. There is actually a rule that specifically covers weapon usage, and that clearly says the crew and character are treated differently and cannot use eachothers.

I'm sorry, I know you want the Chief to be able to fire the bow. And you can still house rule it that way if you want. But the rules state very clearly that there is a distinction between the weapons the crew can use and the weapons the character can use. Quoting a section out of context from an unrelated rule about how many wounds the chariot has won't change that.

So, to reiterate, adding a rule that only allows the crew to fire the bow (as with the DE chariot) does not also let the character do so. That is the plain wording of the rules. It should not be controversial.

8. discomute
    Terradon

That rule is not relevant because we are talking about a weapon of the stegadon itself. I am not trying to say the chief can use a javelin a crew member has.

The two rules that are relevant are
    1) the missing rule that says the the crew can fire it, and
    2) the one I've pointed out which clearly states the chief is now part of the crew.

You say should be ignored because it's in a different section. This is reasonable but I do not feel on the balance of probabilities it is convincing.

Edit - please refrain from personal attacks. I'm not trying to contrive a situation where I get what I want. I originally was the main advocate for your position. Rule 2 changed my mind. I am stating a rule. You are saying due to context the rule should be ignored. They are both reasonable positions.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024