1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The Jade Host: Mayan Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Warden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

The closest I've come to this is using a crafting knife and spinning it round on a 40k model to emulate a bullet hole or two :p

LizardWizard, Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

@Warden ! I just noticed that if you google lizardmen castle your fortress comes up! But the link leads to the brettonian forum... heresy :shifty:

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It appears that we have a Bretonnian spy in our midst.

4. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Capture the traitor and make him build fortresses for our lizardy armies!!

;)

LizardWizard, Warden and Bowser like this.
  5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Warden's Bretonnian Army is based in and themed around Lustria. He has an enclave on the coast somewhere, Maybe the Bretonnians have an ambassador for The Old Ones in their midst.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Anyway let him build fortresses! He's good at it!

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hmmm.... further investigation is required... we'll keep our eye on him. ;)

Lizerd, Jorgik, Warden and 1 other person like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Dang I did not expect to return to the forum this morning amid accusations of espionage and heresy!

I must confess, it is true that I frequent the hallowed halls of the knights of Bretonnia. Within the past yeas I have strayed from the path of the Old Ones for the blessings of the Lady, and have been putting together my Lustrian Bretonnians over on my other painting blog at the Round Table of Bretonnia.

However my first love is the Lizardmen, so I have written the Bretonnians into the backstory of my Lizardmen host. Still working on the details; but eventually I hope to buckle down and create a new thread to depict the tragic story of the crusading Bretonnian colony and its foolhardy attempt to conquer the jungles of Lustria in the name of the Lady.

<<takes off fluff hat>>

Fluff aside, I am glad you found my castle over on the Bretonnian forum! I am taking more pictures at the moment and will be posting them shortly.

In battles I plan to use this jungle-fortress in battles between both the Bretonnians and the Lizardmen, or whatever my future opponents decide to use. I figure the castle was originally built by the hands of the Lizardmen, but will be able to serve as a bastion for whatever army takes up residence within it. Works great for the lore of my Bretonnians.

Also I am putting together some siege equipment for later use in siege scenarios! Most of it is Bretonnian themed, but I hope to make some Lizardmen stuff too! Quick teaser of some of the siege equipment I am constructing:

IMG_9935.jpg

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am hoping at some point you write down this epic fluff and give us some characters in the world you have created! I am enjoying the small snippets that come along with your terrain efforts, and even your art comp entry!

10. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Awesome!!

LizardWizard and Warden like this.
  11. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

This is so damned cool! Your gaming table will look like a diorama every time you play!

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Siege Equipment update:

I have really enjoyed putting this stuff together! Got several WIP pictures for you, then I will move on to the painted stuff. First up, the laders:

01 Ladders.jpg

Made six total, made from wooden skewers and black soft foam (the foam hardens after painting). They are just large enough to reach the top of the fortress walls, but not enough for the towers of course. Here is a picture for scale:

02 Ladder scale.jpg

Next up, mantlets! Used for stopping arrows (or blowpipes?) during sieges. These are used for archers firing from a fixed position outside the castle walls.

03 Mantlets.jpg

04 Mantlets.jpg

Got a total of 16 mantlets by counting the number of shields, but technically its just 8 because I made them connected in groups of 2 so they can be transported easier. Each set of 4 can protect a unit of Bretonnian archers at a five archer-wide front. Another quick picture for scale:

05 Mantlets.jpg

It was a joy to paint the heraldry on these. Next up are the battering rams. The first is a true battering ram, offering some protection from above, ready to bash down the enemy gates. The second is a simpler log ram, equally as capable of destroying enemy gates, but made for the army general on a tighter budget.

05 Battering Rams.jpg

And lastly, some equipment for the besieged! Throwing rocks and cauldrons to be filled with boiling oil after I attempt to do water effects someday.

06 Throwing Rocks.jpg

07 Rocks and Cauldrons.jpg

Got a total of 2 cauldrons and four throwing rocks markers.

Eventually I hope to make siege towers, but I will leave that for a later.

13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Siege Equipment Update continued:

Now for the painted equipment! First the mantlets, painted in the colors and heraldry of several of the noble knights of my Bretonnian colony. I really enjoy painting heraldry as you can see (apologies for the heretical images you are about to see, few skinks were harmed in the making of this post).

01 Mantlets Painted.JPG

Here is a quick shot of the battering ram while I was painting it, so you can see the process, also to be painted with Bretonnian heraldry:

02 Battering Ram WIP.jpg

And here is a line up of the completed equipment!

03 Equipment Painted.JPG

Close up of the battering ram in its heraldric glory (SO much fun painting this thing)

04 Battering Ram Painted.JPG

And a scale shot with a men-at-arms foot soldier:

05 Battering Ram Scale.JPG

14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

And since no self-respecting Lizardmen would be caught using a Bretonnian battering ram, here is what I put together for the Saurus to use whenever they attempt to batter down the gates of a Bretonnian castle.

WIP shot #1: the ram is just a foam block, more foam on top, and a clay front and back of the battering ram.

09 Lizardmen Battering Ram.JPG

WIP shot #2: basecoated.

10 Lizardmen Battering Ram basecoated.JPG

And here is the painted shot/scale shot, minus extra highlighting that might eventually happen. Love how it turned out. I did my best to make it look as if it was made to resemble a crocodile or a snapping turtle. Although I would love to convert a pachycephalosaurus as a battering ram, or even better a thunder lizard siege tower! Maybe someday...

06 Lizardmen Battering Ram Scale.JPG

There you have it, all my current siege equipment! Stay tuned for more epic fortress scenery pictures to come!

15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These all look so fantastic! The heraldry looks great, and all of these pieces are inspired and inspiring!

Warden likes this.
  16. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Great!

Warden likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Those all look fantastic. I especially like the mantlets.

Not only has everything turned out really great, but your productivity is inspiring.

LizardWizard, Warden and Bowser like this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

:spiderman: Nuff said

Warden and tom ndege like this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

ALL OF IT IS AWESOME!! :woot::woot::woot:

20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Thank you for the compliments! I saved the best pictures for today: you can be very productive when you take a few days off from work!

Completed Fortress. (mostly completed. It is playable now though, so time for pictures!!!)

Fortress 01.jpg

Fortress 03.jpg

back view:

Fortress 04 rear.JPG

And here is a shot with the Lizardmen defenders!

IMG_0041.JPG