1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The never-ending battle against woke Hollywood and SJW infused entertainment media [trigger warning]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 14, 2021.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Technically, GW is not wrong...
    As stated in the most precise and complete source regarding Custodes (the Black Book series of the Horus Heresy), while space marines are created using male geneseed (the Emperor / primarchs), custodes are made using mysterious techniques that go back to the dark age of technology, involving profound genetic alterations of a very young subject.
    So, it is indeed plausible the existence of female custodes.
    The fact that is wrong, is the kinda dismissive attitude adopted by GW to insert this... "of course they were!"
    40k lore doesn't work that way, within canon there are plenty of vague references, contradictions, unreliable sources... for a thing to be sure, if must have been reiterated at least a tenth of times through different sources (books, codexes and so on).

Female custodes is not wrong per se, but the way GW handled this is completely stupid (and dangerous for any future change they would like to introduce to the setting).
    If you undermine too much the very foundation of your narrative universe, the risk is to lose the fan base (see Doctor Who)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is one of the passages that are being thrown about. Keep in mind, I have no idea where it is sourced from (or if it is even legitimate). You might have more knowledge about its origin...

[​IMG]

Killer Angel likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Killer Angel the memes have answered my call, it's from the 8th edition Custodes codex (if the meme is to be believed :p)...

[​IMG]

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

yep, it was in a previous codex and indeed it doesn't say anything about "male only", but as you can see it's nonetheless pretty vague. And the fact that up til now the custodes were organized into "brotherhood" was of no help to actual GW's stance.
    The one and single explicit recerences to female custodes was made yesterday, in the new codex.

Prior to that, there was only a passage in a book of the horus heresy (Siege of Terra), written a couple of years ago, when a primarch (Sanguinius, IIRC) was observing a spaceship with custodes in its proximity, and he refers to those as men and women, clad in golden armor.
    Alas, the sight and the description was including not only custodes, but also the personel of the ship and the Sisters of Silence (which are women, in golden armor), so it's far from crystal clear.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That passage is clearly stating that they are male only. "It is known that all Custodians begin their lives as infant sons of the noble houses of Terra."
    Son = Male.
    All = exclusively sons/males, so no females.

Mind you, that is only a single passage and there might be other references that contradict it (although you're stating that there aren't very many). The source of the passage may be an unreliable narrator. etc. etc. I have never read that passage insource and I am pretty unfamiliar with 40k lore and especially Custodes lore (I left 40k long before the Custodes army was even a thing). I can't speak to the canon at large. That said, if one were to go by that passage alone, in the context that it is presented, it is definitive and unambiguous.

Killer Angel likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Oh, i see.
    Well, i know that sons and daughters is males and females, but in italy when you say only "sons" and you use it in a general context (for example, "we are all sons of God") it includes both genders.

Looking at the text you posted, i was thinking it was the same.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

We've got similar things in English, like the word "mankind", which simultaneous refers to both genders. I don't think I've ever seen the word "sons" used in that way though. At the very least, it is not the way I (or most people) would read that passage. Which would explain why people keep citing that passage as evidence of GW is retconning the lore.

Is it wrong that I am thoroughly enjoy the carnage that this has brought about? :D Finally its a franchise that I don't have particularly deep ties to; I can just sit back and enjoy the show. Facebook is a virtual shooting gallery with ad-hominin attacks being slung about left, right and center. Khorne cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows without cease for all eternity

There is no escape from Chaos, it marks us all.
    :cool:

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann