1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The new book: Everything in one place! [Out of date!]

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by GCPD, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Re: The new book: Everything in one place! [updated 26/07]

Yeah, we'll have to see the totality of the troglodon's abilities and make the assessment. At the very least, you will now be able to take an EotG in a rare slot for about 50 points less, so there's no shortage of goodness that can go in rare. Cheaper razordons with perhaps some better rules would also be worth it.

It also just hit me that a pack of 3 Razordons would be a nice target for Hand of Glory's ballistic skill buffing. Tons of str4 hits!

2. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Significantly less, in fact, as you won't have to pay for a Skink Priest on top, either!

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Seems like buff wagons are making quite an appearance this book. We've got 4 so far, right? Bastiladon, Ancient Steg, Ancient Steg+Priest, and Trogladon? Maybe not so much the Trog.

4. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

wouldn't you just dam well believe it every other army has their preorders up before midnight but lizards are not on the site yet

I take that back they are up :D

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

6. IronJaw
    Cold One

IronJaw Member

Limited Edition Rule book ordered! :D

7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

^^ Jealous!!

After looking at the new models with a lot more detail, I'm even more excited than I was before! Especially the new Terradon Kit. With all the goodies in there it should be pretty easy for anyone with old Terradons to convert them to the newer standard. I know it was mentioned earlier but I didn't think about it until now; Skinks on Ripperdactyls have Spears. That means the Skinks are also Strength 4 on the charge. Not the the Skink attack is the selling point, but it certainly helps. Oh, and Tiktaq'to looks sweet. I really like his new weapon and helmet.

Bastiladon looks a lot better from the side. I thought it was more squat than it actually is. I think I could get used to the Solar Engine. A less yellowy paint job and some bits to make it look sturdier would help. The hand print on the back of the Bastiladon actually looks like it was designed to be operated by both Left and Right handed Skinks. I believe that's what the modeler had in mind, rather than hinting at the Old Ones having 4 fingers. The last finger is spaced way to far out to be a pinky. Just good ol' ergonomics :smug:

I also see that the Carnosaur/Trogladon body is balancing on one leg for that dynamic pose. The model is plastic and the leg is pretty thick so hopefully that's not an issue. But I can see that piece fatiguing as the model gets used more and more. Kroq-Gar's robo-hand is neat. I think someone already mentioned that.

New Skink Priest is awesome. Tetto'eko has a little blurb that hints at him having static buffs for Heavens casters.
    Overall, very excited about this release. Now if only I had the book...

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I will have to get a Gor-Rok!

That model is awesome. I like the skink priest, but not Tetto. Not worth the cost.

I will be ordering the book, the cards, a bastilidon, maybe a group of rippers, Gor-rok and that's about it.

Very nice stuff.

9. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

I really like what I am seeing here so far.

One thing I would surmise is that focused rumination is probably gone. I can't see them giving the Slann an extra power die per spell, and removing the opponents 6's to dispel.

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I will buy the book and the cards...then I will proxy the living *synonym for droppings* out of rippers, trog and basil (yea I named him that already) to see what I like.

11. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Just the book and cards for me. I want to read the book before I spend any money on big models that aren't worth fielding. That having been said, I really want to get the carnosaur, but I already have two nice metal models and hate the new price. Now I just have to get to the GW store tomorrow to place my order.

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

You and me both my friend. I look forward to fully digesting the new book and its implications before model shopping.

13. stormtruperTK41
    Saurus

stormtruperTK41 New Member

@Qupakoco, It actually says in the white dwarf that the reason it is sculpted like that is because it was never meant for skink use and in fact they do not know what it was used for any more. It is part of the great tragedy of the lizardmen story angle.

@sirkently The slann can't get ride of enemy caster's 6s any more, or at least becalming cogitation no longer does that. It now instead allows for re-rolling miscast attempts.

14. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

After checking the GW site again, it definitely looks like no Saurus Cav in Core... unless there is some item or Oldblood ability that allows this. Our core technically got smaller, with the "loss" of the jungle swarms to special, but none of us ever used them anyway! Maybe their rules changed enough to make them worth it.

I'll be interested to see if anything changed in core to make it more worthwhile. Maybe with all of our dino-buff-wagons our saurus will be mighty. But to me, this army is starting to scream MINIMUM CORE, MAX MONSTERS!!

15. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Special Edition Book ordered :smug:

16. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

From the digital white dwarf in the video at the end of the battle report it is specified that saurus warriors troglodons and carnosaurs all habe predatory figters, also saurius warriors atill have two atacks each.

17. nzdino
    Skink

nzdino New Member

well when the VC book got redone bat swarms went from core to special and gained an extra rule . left VC with four core units

18. Jabroniville
    Skink

Jabroniville New Member

Wow- crazy stuff. The new paintjobs are SICK- I've never seen Lizardmen creatures painted that well before- it shames me and my own models :).

The "worst" thing about them is that they look very naturalistic and realistic as far as their scales and stuff go. My army is painted kind of showy and with big primary colours, looking more cartoonish (which fits the models), so these new guys might be harder to paint in my own style!

The Bastilodon/Giant Death Turtle looks kind of cool, though a bit "plain" since it's got less detail on the creature itself. The big snake thing gives it an odd "hook"- I have no idea how those painters managed to put naturalistic snake stripes on models THAT tiny.

The Carnosaur looks HUGE- like a mix of The Incredible Hulk with a Utahraptor. It's head is a bit too small for me- making it look like a big Kroxigor instead of a real carnosaur, but the detail on all the scales is great. Also YAY to being able to use it for a Scar-Veteran. I'd like the Troglodon to have more of a Spinosaurus head, too- also it's crazy to spend *$100* on a model that'd only be one Skink on a monster and a single Saurus model, if you went that route! In fact, all of these prices are absurd? Wasn't the reason for Finecast supposed to be that they things would be CHEAPER to make? Who on Earth would start the hobby with prices like that coming in?

Getting new Terradons again is weird, but understandable since the last ones were REALLY bad. Very skinny, but at least they look decent. Not a fan of the Ripperdon look- too bulky and their big flat heads are odd.

I hope the Skink/Palanquin guy can be used as a regular Hero/Lord and not just a Special Character.

19. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Might be the Skink High Priest?

20. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

There's an image of Kroq-Gar rules page over on GW itunes site, which as the rules for Grymlok as well.

Carnosaurs look to have lost their Blood Frenzy and gained one attack. That's it. No other Carnosaur rules changes.

2013-07-26_11.06.39.480x480-75.jpg

Grymlok also has 'Attuned to the Beast,' but I imagine that's his special character rule rather than a generic Carnosaur one.

Edit: Given that Kroq-Gar shares the same statline as Oldbloods in our last book, what you see here is probably what we'll get. Hopefully that's good in that they haven't had any stat nerfs (and this is inline with what we know about Scar-Vets too).