1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Interesting but probability against dragons are still low. I mean 5 attacks hitting on 4+ in best case, maybe 5+ then you need a 6. And you don't negate ward saves...

Then I'll probably prefer Revered Tzunki Blade that is more allround effectively against everything and negate both armour and ward saves (even without 6s). Ogre blade is strong but useless against dragons with good armour+saves.

The first is luck based, the second on strategy. Probably you cannot kill a dragon alone but you can kill a dragon with some support as a stegadon charging. The first option barely is ok against heavy cavalry. The second option slay them. Probably both option have to ben tried =)

About other monsters...carno eat them, so the problem are dragons with T6 and ward saves.

discomute likes this.
  2. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Also remember you can just take dispel scrolls on all your champs. 20 point item, and you've pulled if out of the characters slot. Saurus, Templeguard and Cold Ones all have this option.

discomute likes this.
  3. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

? Dispel Scroll says "Single use. A Wizard may use this scroll when attempting a Wizardly dispel." Champions aren't wizards and can't use them, to my knowledge.

This was all accounted for in the simulation. It still killed the dragons before the oldblood died.

airjamy likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Why do you need a 6?

5 attacks hitting on a 4+ (it can never be 5+)
    2.5 attacks wounding on a 5+ (st 5 vs t6)
    83% chance of getting a wound through, then need to dodge a likely ward of 5+

So I'd say an old blood has a 50/50 chance of killing a dragon outright.

edit just did maths its 56%

5. RipperDerek
    Razordon

The dragon killing effect only happens on a to-wound roll of a 6. But yes, if you get 3 hits you're close to 50/50 to land a killing blow (meaning to roll a 6). Although they do still get a ward save, if they have one.

6. discomute
    Terradon

Right so my maths are off, I guess if the wound roll was a 5 or 6 then needing a six would be half that then, so around 28%.'

Also - are they carrying a monster slaying sword? Everyone has more initiative than us..

Kalisto likes this.
  7. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

dang that's right. Forgot that restriction.

8. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Wrong, unfortunately only wizard can take arcane items

9. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Badazzling helm…you are going to encounter dragons lord with it or another item giving -1 to hit.
    Everyone have at least WS 6 or 7

If the enemy have WS 7 (many has it) and an item for -1 to hit then your carnosaur hit at 6+… so he cannot help you a lot either.

If they have a dragon slayer sword they have the same chance to kill you before you kill them due the low initiative generally you have a low probability to kill them (ok maybe in two rounds but not sure you can afford 2 rounds of attacks from a dragonlord).

With dragon slayer sword your model is quite bad against each other thing, that’s reason I prefer revered tzunki or ogre blade. It may be an option to have a sword of might aside.

WithCarbos and discomute like this.
  10. discomute
    Terradon

Yep I think I agree with you. But the (quite clever) option of monster slayer with sword of might is tempting. You can still fit an amulet of protection in with that.

11. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I just check that the chaos lord may play a sword with +2S +D3 attacks and always strike first for 75 points... so even without -1 to hit it's cruel.

Its just my impression or lizard got really BAD magical items?

12. discomute
    Terradon

Not sure about that, we have a few good ones, perhaps no great ones unless you count becalming contagion. I guess I haven't studied the other books. But glpyh necklace and the aura are okay and blade of revered Tzunki is good.

In general I don't think we can complain about power level, although I do feel there is quite a disparity in our troops which I find frustrating. If I had to guess at overall power levels based off overall army composition (in which dragons are a part but not everything) I'd say

S
    Chaos Dwarfs

A
    Chaos Warriors
    Beastmen
    Orcs and Goblins
    Dwarves
    Bretonnia

A or B
    Dark Elves

B
    Vampires
    Ogres
    Daemons
    Wood Elves
    High elves
    Lizardmen
    Tomb Kings

B or C
    Skaven

C
    Empire

13. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Do you have the source? B isn’t so good imho. You have 7 armies better than you and only 2 worse

14. discomute
    Terradon

Absolute guesswork on my part. If there wasn't so many armies, I'd post a poll for each of them in the "other armies" section and see what people think.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  15. RipperDerek
    Razordon

Quick tournament report - we had a 1000pt local tourney today. ~20 people came.

I came in 2nd. My 1000 point list was an oldblood on carno, an ancient stegadon, a brick of saurus, and a skink battle standard bearer.

Round 1 v Brettonians - Won 1250 VP vs 230. Knights charged my stegadon and saurus but wound up losing combat and being slowly ground down. Nothing in his army could stand up to the old blood.

Round 2 v Brettonians (again) - Won 1150 VP vs 507. Old blood took a charge from a duke on hypogryph and a lance of cavalry, and my saurus followed up into the combat. Eventually ran them down and pursued into the rest of his army. Old blood wound up dying due to some unlucky rolls, but the game was already decided.

Round 3 v Tomb Kings - Two top generals by points were me and a Tomb King player, and we were paired together at the top table for grand finals. My Old Blood fought the tomb king on necrolith bone dragon on turn 2, lost combat by 1, and then immediately broke and was run down. Statistically this wasn't super likely, but it happened. If he had lasted in combat for 1 round, the Saurus would have gotten in on the dragon's flank, and the dragon would almost certainly have died the following turn. After my old blood fell, there was nothing left in my army that could kill the dragon. Lost 1150 VP vs 150 VP.

16. discomute
    Terradon

What magic items did you take? Interesting the old blood could last against a hippogriff & knight charge.

17. RipperDerek
    Razordon

Ogre blade and talisman of protection.

18. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It worked well probably because you met not magicians and no real dragons ;) and no virtues with monster killing blow
    Interesting report!

19. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Watching Square Based podcast and coverage of a few tournaments, seems like a Level 3 or 4 caster is clutch, if for nothing else other than shutting down enemy magic. Magic seems to be more a way to get board control and less on deal damage (though damage is always welcome).

Of particular note was using Illusion- Miasmic Mirage as a way to counter dragons. People has level 2 casters vs a level 4 casting MM. -2 movement to a dragon AND it can't march or charge! Basically it just sits there and breathes heavy. And chances are with a level 4 you can keep casting it, as you will just need to roll a 7+ to get the casting value of 11. And versus level 2 guys dispelling, they are trying to roll at least a 10 then. Fat chance.

20. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It has a ridicolous range...the dragon player can easily avoid your spell and charge longer than you. It's not a tactic I would trust on