1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

I personally know a guy who got it off 5 times in a game, which I realize is statistically unlikely, but I don't think it's as hard as you seem to think it is.

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

If you get a chance to cast it you need a 7 to succeed otherwise what is attempting is likely toast. Still, if it's possible to reliably attempt once a game (then run your character from any wizard dispel) it would certainly put illusion in a different light.

3. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

And a 7 is the average 2d6 roll. Add a power scroll for 20 points to a slann and you really well off.

And on top of this Id plan on having crystal column and Monsoon, so you can really control where the dragon can move with those.

4. discomute
    Terradon

Tell you what, the fact a goblin is a better wizard than a Slann does not sit well with me

5. Niezck
    Skink

Niezck New Member

My position exactly, I mainly play against O&G and the fact they can take a basic, 160-170 point level 4 with +1 to cast is so disheartening. Even comparing a Slann to like Empire, it's essentially a Wizard Lord on a Pegasus with a 5+ Ward item... for like 60 points more with actually less varied lore access generally. The only plus seems to be Arcane Vassal and High Magic.

6. discomute
    Terradon

Annoying quirks of our rule book - up there with "Saurus can't take magic banners" is that old bloods can't be the BSB. At 1000 points it makes it difficult.

7. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

I agree, I have no idea why that is the case. I will say though, a skink chief on stegadon BSB is a really, really good consolation prize.

8. discomute
    Terradon

Well yeah except he is leadership 6 so not a good candidate as a general.

At 1000 points I guess the frustration is that you don't want two non-magic heros so you're basically forced into a scar vet

9. Wyvernaarch
    Skink

Wyvernaarch Active Member

Because Oldblood is a former 'Lord' level character, while BSB option was for 'Hero' level characters and Slann only. None of current 'Lord' level characters can take BSB option, as far as I know.

discomute and Fxt like this.
  10. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

no Lord has ever been the BSB across the various editions of the game, the Slann is probably the only exception to the rule.

annoying is discovering that goblin can take a magic banner...

11. discomute
    Terradon

Yep really good points. I wonder if the banner is another oversight of our book. Probably not.

I guess the scar vet isn't the worst dual general/BSB in the world. 2 wounds is just so brutal.

12. RipperDerek
    Razordon

? Scar vet cannot be both general and BSB

discomute likes this.
  13. discomute
    Terradon

I need to trust old world builder less

14. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

I've heard good things about New Recruit but haven't looked into it much

15. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Only Slann can do it… in the whole warhammer world since ever, as long as I know

16. RipperDerek
    Razordon

In reading Potion of Strength, it says the "model" gains +d3 strength. Am I right in assuming if you have a skink chief on a stegadon, and he uses the potion, it means everything (the character, the crew, the stegadon) all get +d3 strength for that round?

The closest rule I can find is under Split Profile - Chariot, where it says all the different profiles "are combined into one model." But language the book uses is somewhat inconsistent.

A spell that says "target model gets +1 str" cast on the Stegadon would effect everything, right? Night goblin nets give all the pieces -1? So logically this should too? If so, I think the potion of strength is actually somewhat insane.

17. discomute
    Terradon

A lot of the words I think they are used aren't meant to be analysed closely. My playing group believe you can get benefits of magic shields without using them because it says "bearer" and not "user" despite no shield ever saying user.

So to get back to the point it says you use your own strength in combat but a single toughness. So that's my best guess as to RAI.

18. RipperDerek
    Razordon

You use your own strength characteristic either way, and the potion doesn't change that, so I don't think that rule applies here.

I think the part that is weird about it is mostly just the formulation - it seems logical that drinking the potion should give the "character" or the "bearer" of the item who drank it the benefit, but it does infact say the entire model for some reason.

With that said, I have since also found a couple of counter-examples. So it seems like sometimes in the book it uses Model to apply to all the parts, and sometimes it does not. I think the way we will probably play this is that only the character gets the potion bonus, since I think that makes the most sense.

19. discomute
    Terradon

I agree with this completely.

If I was to offer a weak RAI argument against our position, I find it interesting that the potion of strength is 25 points and the potion of toughness is 20 points when the toughness undoubtedly applies to both models (since there is only one score it can increase).

20. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I don’t remember well the rules but I think that for chariots you may use the highest toughness and armour save between chariot and skink. In this case toughness potion just work on the skink not the stegadon. It’s another thing on the carnosaur where the entire model get the toughness bonus