1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Temple of Blood Army board/ terrain piece--lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Sorry if I'm bumping the thread but I wanted to ask about the portal pictures...
    1st Did you paint it first then put it in or did you paint it while it was on the howda
    2nd Did you look at the pictures in the army book or did the pictures just come to your mind...

2. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

If you look at the link strewart posted, it will show how the portals were sculpted. They were designed to be removeable from the howdah, since the skink priest always gets killed by random leaves that fly by ;)

Also, I could use it as a skink chief mount, put blowpipes on it, etc.

It made the areas inside the portals easier to paint as well. I painted each side after I had done most of the painting on the rim around the portal images.

I used a few secenes from the army book that I liked, to enhance the notion that the portals can be used to move between worlds, etc. I also like terradons a lot, and the image of hundreds of them flying around was to much to resist!

3. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Your stuff is awesome as always, wondered were youve been for some time :)

Please if you could check my work and give some advice on how to improve them I would be really grateful. You can see them from the link on my signature if you want.

4. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

Amazing work man, Can't wait for the Story and Rules :D

5. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

Does anyone know how he built those stairs for the Ziggrat?

6. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

When I did the stairs for the temple, I started out with cutting up my leftover pieces of foam core and stacking them on top of each other. This turned out to be a less than ideal method, since I kept underestimating the angle needed to match the top level!

When I did the blood channel on the back of the temple, I realized that I should have started out my stairs with a diagonal strip of foam core, or even matboard, to establish the steep angle that I had originally intended for the stairs (as I did with the blood channel). Once the angle was determined, I could have placed my strips of foam core using the ramp as a guide.

Live and learn, I suppose! Since I am hoping to make more of these for an eventual city complex, I will be able to make these much faster in the future!

7. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

You wouldn't by chance have pics of you project while you were working pictures? The way you explainded how you built the stairs I still don't understand. If possible show me some pics or maybe a link to someone who has. Thanks Wappellious.

8. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I do have some WIP images of the temple, but I don't know how many might show the stairs....

9. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

That would be great to see. I hope you do have some WIP of the stairs. So were they hard to work on? Because I just can't figure out how you made them so perfect. Also can you show us how you sculpted the snake pillars. You did a great job on that as well.

10. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I looked through all my pictures, and I didn't see any images with the stairs or the pillars.

Years ago, I made a smaller Temple of Blood made entirely from sculpey. That is a clay which can be baked in a conventional oven. That is what the pillars were made from.

To make a set of stairs, you can place a piece of foamcore at the angle you would like. You cut strips of foamcore and place those on top of the angled piece. You put one on top of the other as you move up the stairway.

I hope that is helpful!

11. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

Yeah I will try it out. It sounds more understandable now. How about the bottom floor. Is that mat baor? How did you get the detail on the floor?

12. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

The bottom floor was large pieces of that bakeable clay called sculpey. I rolled out large sheets of it, baked them, and placed them on the temple surface.

I drew out my designs (which can be found on all the bases of my miniatures, and carved out the designs. I do have some WIP pictures of that process.

13. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

Hello. What was the size of foam board you used. Was it the 2 inch or the 1 1/2?

14. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

All of the foam board was the 1/8 inch variety, cut up in pieces and used to construct the different levels.