1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age TOW 2k Please don't Brontodon't

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Blastoize, Jan 28, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

I am tinkering with Dino Monstermash list for ToW. I know I can do better and fielding 3 Carnos will most likely not be the way.
    I think taking 2 and a priest is definitely better, or taking 2 Oldbloods with better items than 1 OB and 2 Scarvets. But that was not the point of this excercise ,)

++ Characters [982 pts] ++
    Saurus Oldblood [414 pts]
    (Great weapon, Scaly Skin (counts as heavy armor), on Carnosaur, Aura Of Quetzl, Bedazzling Helm)

Saurus Scar-Veteran [274 pts]
    (Great weapon, scaly skin (heavy armor), on Carnosaur, Enchanted Shield)

Saurus Scar-Veteran [294 pts]
    (Great weapon, scaly skin (heavy armor), on Carnosaur, Talisman of Protection)

++ Core Units [506 pts] ++
    24 Saurus Warrior [396 pts]
    (Hand weapons and shields, scaly skin (counts as heavy armour), Shieldwall, Spawn Leader (champion),
    Venom Of The Firefly Frog, Standard bearer, Musician)

10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    (Javelins and shields, calloused hides (counts as light armour), The Vanguard)
    10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    (Javelins and shields, calloused hides (counts as light armour), The Vanguard)

++ Special Units [55 pts] ++
    5 Chameleon Skinks [55 pts]
    (Blowpipes and hand weapons, calloused hides (counts as light armour))

++ Rare Units [455 pts] ++
    1 Troglodon (0-1 Stegadon or Troglodon per 1,000 points) [200 pts]
    (Venomous talons and venom spray, scaly skin (counts as heavy armour))

1 Ancient Stegadon (0-1 Stegadon or Troglodon per 1,000 points) [255 pts]
    (Great horns and Engine of the Gods, Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and javelins (required))

Let me know what you think .)

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

The glaring hole will be your leadership. Your general has a leadership of 8, and for some bizarre reason Old Bloods cannot be BSB's. Aside from this, I could absolutely see this list being competitive. But, yes, I think you need to make a Scar Vet a BSB

PS. A great weapon and an enchanted sheild? Maybe change that to Cav spear

Blastoize likes this.
  3. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Yeah, BSB would be nice, but that doesn't fit point wise.
    The hero section is crammed too much. I can take away the shield - which is there puerly vs shooting - that leaves 28 points and I could make one of the Scarvets to BSB. Probably the one with the Talisman of Protection.
    That would leave one "naked" scarvet on carno, which might not be smart.

Other than that I feel like the rest could be fine, although I don't have much wiggle room for strategy. My thoughts were that skinks and chameleons will try to control enemy movement, while Saurus and steg at the center will be the main core of the army with either one carno (bsb) or trog to support with the shout and 2 carnos on flanks to devide and conquer .)

I am very much interested to see how that would play.
    No matter the result, I think I need to up my Carnosaur count (at home, not in the list)

discomute likes this.
  4. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Hard to comment on this list. I think it will be hard to do something on the battlefield without more chaff units. Also the protection on scarvets leaves much to be desired. Still, let us now how it performs!

Blastoize likes this.
  5. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Just an idea - change 3d carno to a cowboy with a Horned One + lance + charmed shield, and give him an armour reroll. As a result - 2+ , +2 str on a charge, obsidian blades on 2nd round if required. And I would still have a skink priest with a dispel scroll. You can make him lvl2 if you wish.
    Core - 20 Saurus (musician, champ, sb) + 4x10 skins skirmishers - it would be exactly 501 points. (min core is 500 afaik)

Blastoize likes this.
  6. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

My guess is you really want that War Banner upgrade for the Saurus. And Chameleon Skinks do nothing, just use regular ones. The additional -1 from Multiple Shots just kills them.

Blastoize likes this.
  7. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

Nice list. I have created similar lists. I think you need to get some magic weapons on the characters. Ethereal is a thing and you have nothing that can hit it. Even a burning blade would be fine.

Saurus can't have magic banners, which sucks.

Kalisto and discomute like this.
  8. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Good idea but you CANNOT switch a spear. Only lances can be switched on 2nd round. And spears give only+1S

discomute likes this.
  9. discomute
    Terradon

Lances are amazing like that. I wonder if its a design flaw. They write the book like its a huge a punishment to have to stop using it - but switching to our awesome obsidian blades would be nice. Oh well.

10. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It’s not a flaw.. it was already so in fifth edition 25 years ago

11. discomute
    Terradon

Yeah I guess I mean how many armies have amazing hand weapons? Okay I'm a lizardmen and warriors of tzeentch player (obsidian blades are great and theirs are better!) but I saw a battle report recently and vampires do too. So am I thinking half or more of TOW have cool hand weapons? So suddenly "having" to drop your lance in the first round is a massive upgrade on a cav spear just losing its bonuses.

12. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Only downfall there is I see alot of comp packs with rule of 3 even on core. But worst comes to worst you just have a bigger block of saurus and up the size of the skinks a bit

13. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Expect lists with level 4 mages casting vortexs to really mess with your play. Your level 2 will rarely stop them.