1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undoing superglue?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Great Lord Tlanxla, May 1, 2010.

1. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

Great Lord Tlanxla New Member

Hello all,
    I am in the process of building my new plastic Stegadon and I glued on one of the heads and now I decided that I would rather have the other one attached but I cant get the head to break off of the rest of the model.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to undo superglue?

2. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Why did you use superglue on a plastic model? Anyways I had cold one head at a wrong angle when glued on and I just removed the whole head by cutting it up in pieces...

3. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

As suppe said, at this point the only thing you can do is carefully cut it off. With METAL MODELS (don't use with plastic models for chrissakes!) thinner gets the job done.

4. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Paint thinner or nail polish remover works really well at removing super glue, but because it's a mild acid you might corrode your plastic model as well. I'd advise giving up the head and chopping it off peice by peice.

5. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

DON'T... USE... THINNER... WITH... PLASTIC... TRUST... ME... I... KNOW...

lol

:)
    :chicken:

6. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Haha! Well if thinner will do it then I'd not suggest nail polish remover...although anything is worth a try once.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

try freezing it, it makes the super glue more brittle.

8. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

I will be sure to try the nail polish remover and if that doesn't work I will go ahead and try freezing it.

Thanks for your advice!

9. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

If you try that with liquid nitrogen tell me the result please

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Don't use nail polish remover on plastic.... It will go all frosty and lumpy if it doesn't warp completely.

With any solvent at all, I strongly recommend testing them in a spare bit of sprue before touching a model with it. Plastics can be quite reactive to organic chemicals.. And I should know.

Freezing is a good idea. In general, superglue is very hard to remove from plastics once they are fixed. Sacrificing the head and carving it off is probably going to end up the best way. You are lucky because the steg has quite thick plastic it might be a lot easier to snap than many smaller models. You should at least avoid the problem of the plastic bending rather than snapping.

11. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

oh okay. I wont use nail polish remover then. The stegadon is in the freezer at the moment.

Does anyone know if vinegar works as a solvent for superglue? I have heard that it does but i have no idea if it will actually work.

12. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

And DO make it wet first. I'm talking H2O here.
    To put it straight I don't use plastic glue anymore. Mainly because having super glue at hand is more versatile and because once the plastic glue on the plastic model is set there is no going back.

Cheers!

13. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm acetic acid on cyanoacrylate... I think it could work, and shouldn't do any harm, might be worth watering it down a bit just in case anyway.