1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Video - Saurus Warriors - Clubs or Spears?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Caleb ex nihilo, May 13, 2020.

?

How are you building warriors?

1. Clubs Only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spears Only

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Clubs for min sized units, Spears for hordes

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. Caleb ex nihilo
    Chameleon Skink

Caleb ex nihilo Well-Known Member

2. Putzfrau
    Carnasaur

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Love these videos, but i'm never a huge fan of mathing out spears as just a pure doubling of the number of weapon attacks.

Due to the way 32mm honeycomb, you can fit some of a second rank into 1'' but you'll never fit any of a third rank into 2''. It's usually closer to something like ~60% more attacks, vs 100%.

I dont think it necessarily changes the "spears are better in bigger units" argument, but it does make the base numbers a little bit closer.

Granted, my dislike might stem from the fact that all 90 of my painted saurus warriors have clubs...

ILKAIN and Caleb ex nihilo like this.
  3. Caleb ex nihilo
    Chameleon Skink

Caleb ex nihilo Well-Known Member

Agree. I didn't want to mathhammer a full 40 models... left it at 20 attacking... although that is still probably difficult in real life. The fewer models that are in combat, the closer the gap is between clubs and spears.

And yep.... i have 40 painted warriors with clubs...

Erta Wanderer and Putzfrau like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    Skar-Veteran

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

the divide starts at 5 models 15 clubs to 20 spears is the same damage so if you get more then 5 adishanal guys into combat then spears are better

Caleb ex nihilo likes this.
  5. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Actually, it's easier to fit the 3rd rank in than the 2nd with honeycombing, but it's still a 50-70% increase rather than double, and at 50%, clubs and spears are pretty much even.

The bottom line for clubs is way better. Spears can be really crippled by good saves, while clubs will still do alright, and as the unit size drops, the difference between the two shrinks, so there's an argument to go with clubs even when Spears get a more than 50% increase in attacking models. Also, Saurus have such high output that you shouldn't need the extra models in range with spears even in the situations where they are better.

For big units, I think it's really just a matter of preference, with a small edge for spears, while for small units, clubs are clearly better.

ILKAIN and Putzfrau like this.