1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Warhammer The Old World

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Christopher_Martinek, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Christopher_Martinek
    Jungle Swarm

Christopher_Martinek New Member

Hey! Now that's the legacy pdfs are released (including yours truly, lizardmen) I beg of you for some thoughts and ideas for new lizardmen functions and perhaps army compositions. What changed for better and what for worse?
    I am a complete beginner and I am wanting to start my new army in OW. But I don't know what is now good or bad choice, or what to pick.

2. blackjack419
    Jungle Swarm

blackjack419 New Member

I'd say theory crafting a 500 point army - usually a character, and several small units, is a good idea.

You can proxy them with paper if you want to practice moving them around (poorhammer) and seeing how they do, and see how you like playing them.

3. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Welcome to our lustrious jungle my friend.

I am also waiting for someone more versed in the art of war to evaluate the changes and our rules.
    I have just commented in the TOW waiting thread on the free rules. I am not impressed so far, feels like several things in our book have been nerfed, few got some nice changes, but the most important thing to bear in mind is that GW doesn't plan to follow through with our army - so do not expect any changes, new models or any other support. We have been thrown to the sideline and deemed "unofficial" regarding tournament play etc..
    If you just wanna play for fun, go for it, I think our models (and models available outside of GW range) are amazing and worth collecting just for that fact alone.

Blackjack has a point - if you think you might like it - you can try proxiing a small army and play a low-point battle with a friend and see if oyu like the theme and style. It is all smooth sailing from there.

Christopher_Martinek likes this.
  4. blackjack419
    Jungle Swarm

blackjack419 New Member

A quick 500 point list as an example from the TOW pdf

Character/General -
    Skink Priest - 60 (cheap lv 1 wizard, you can add more points here)

Core
    10 Saurus Warriors - 140 (a good anvil to play with)
    11 Skink Skirmishers w/ Javelins & Shields - 55 (skirmishers, good bunker for the priest)

Special
    5 Cold one riders - 170 - a hammer to the anvil

Rare
    Razordon Pack and 3 Skink Handlers - 75 - artillery piece

This touches a lot of units (except flyers) and gives you a lot of options to play with, not even touching flyers yet. Proxy it on paper and see how it works, financially risk free. If it's great, congrats, it's an affordable core to start with.

5. Christopher_Martinek
    Jungle Swarm

Christopher_Martinek New Member

I am already in my local starting community that plans to play Old World casually, start some campaigns and tournamemts. And they are welcomming to all armies, so the loss of being able to play on GW tournaments is really not important since in my country (Czech Republic) there isn't even one official GW store.

I've managed to collect quite a roster of lizardmen already. Do you mind if I present it and maybe get a few tips and tricks for how to build a suitable army for TOW?

Characters:
    1 Slann Mage Priest
    1 Gor-Rok (could serve as Scar/Old)
    1 Tetto'eko (i guess no point, but I love him)
    1 Scar-veteran on a Cold One
    1 Scar-veteran on a Carnosaur
    2 Skink Priest
    1 Skink Chief
    Core:
    30 Saurus Warriors (hand weapons, full command) [could be split into 2x 15 both with full command, but don't know if they could still be an solid anvil]
    3 x 10 Skink Skirmishers (javelin and shield, skink brave)
    10 Skink Skirmishers (blowpipes, skink brave)
    20 Temple Guard (full command)
    Special:
    9 Cold One Riders (full command)
    3 Kroxigors
    3 Terradons (throwing javelins)
    1 Bastilodon (Solar Engine)
    Rare:
    2 Salamanders (both with 3 handlers)
    1 Ancient Stegadon (blowpipes)

Do you have please any ideas how to get this army working? I am thinking about at least 2000 or/and 2500 pts army. Also I am also pondering about adding few more pieces, like Ripperdactyls and Chameleon Skinks (but those are hard to come by)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

First of all, welcome to Lustria. :)

As for your question, alas we still need to understand how the game will effectively work, let alone wrapping our heads around our very freshly new pdf.

All I can, say, those 30 warriors will come handy. ;)

7. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

These appear to be useless. I don't think anyone will know for certain until a lot more games are played. But I would not recommend trying to get them.

We have a big chat going about the army book in the general thread.