1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

Sweet! Why not Zoidberg?

WildColonial Boy likes this.
  2. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

He's getting better, but his meds have changed completely, so we're having to get used to a new routine.

3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Took a walk at lunch through the Home deco/garden center near work.
    Due to the recent product change from winter to spring stuff (with a lot of plastic deco plants) some small bits of these plants get scattered around the shelves.

The haul from today:
    20240130_140405.jpg

Ready to create some more terrain pieces

Grrr, !mrahil

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

A certain big blue book has made its way into my life:
    IMG_20240217_124225.jpg

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Do you have it in red? ;)

6. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Mostly just waiting on ebay/shop orders. Daggok's Stab-Ladz have arrived to join the growing Big Waagh!, and I'm waiting on conversion parts for my Orcs and Goblins warboss conversion as well as a Warpsmith for my Chaos Marines Armored Company.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

My red earlier Edition ones are the pocket-sized versions from the Battle for Skull Pass and Island of Blood boxed games, so they're Little Red Books. I must say I do rather miss the pocket-sized rulebooks, they're much handier to hold and flip through when in the middle of a game, but of course they sacrifice the miniatures showcase and scenario sections.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I was actually talking about this today. I love the mini rulebooks and prefer to use them over the giant versions. The mini showcase is nice as are the scenarios but for games I just want rules. It's too bad they didn't have one for this edition.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Working on setting up my next math-hammer in depth analysis!

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Chaos Trolls I presume...

GW ones obtained off EBay or another company's efforts?

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They will be Chaos Trolls. The models themselves are a box of GW River Trolls I've had lying around for ages. I have an idea to have a horde of random trolls of multiple types going into battle at the command of Throgg. Unlike a typical unit, I want them to avoid a cohesive look in terms of the model sculpts. The trolls would vary in size and style. Then to tie the unit together, they'd be painted in the same colour scheme.

Unfortunately I don't own nearly enough trolls. I currently have:
    • 1 Throgg
    • 2 trolls from the Battle from Skull Pass starter
    • 2 metal chaos trolls
    • 3 river trolls

In the future, the following are prime candidates to be added to my collection:

After those two, things become trickier. The Forge World Bile Trolls would make a great addition, but aren't worth the asking price on the secondary market. Some older GW trolls would work too, but they seem to be pretty pricey on Ebay as well. I'm not sure if I'd go down the route of other manufacturers; it would depend on how well their aesthetic mixes with GWs and cost.

It's all just a thought though. At the moment, I just wanted to work on some hobby stuff while watching videos/movies, but I didn't feel like painting. So troll assembly it is. At the very least I want to have my Troll unit (Throgg + 7) assembled and primed.

13. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I'll work on getting photos but the river troll box had lots of extra bits including heads and arms. I used them to make more trolls with them mostly submerged. I have to make two more then get to painting them. Once done I'll do some water effects. I mention this as ways to get more trolls with less cost.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's pretty cool!

Tk'ya'pyk and BrotherSutek like this.
  15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I know how you've had your heart set on that Throgg-star. That'll be a fun thing to keep you busy while watching stuff, I too enjoy making models on a tray while sitting on the sofa watching something - more enjoyable and less messy than painting, which is a kitchen table job.

Another pair of candidates to add to your unit are the other two Common Troll models - the one with the double-handed hammer and the one wielding a bone in one hand, both in metal. Since early 2019 they had been discontinued, but have been confirmed to be returning to availability permanently with the Greenskins release for TOW when it turns up, so they'll be something else to look out for.

Plus a personal recommendation, if you are willing to dabble in non-GW models, is this Reaper Troll:
    https://www.reapermini.com/search/troll/latest/89041
    He fits in reasonably well with my GW Common Trolls, especially when painted in the same colour scheme, and also wouldn't look out of place among the GW Chaos Trolls, as he has the same sort of head shape and gangly arms. Plus, he's cheap as chips, so not much money lost if on second thoughts you find he doesn't look right.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This I did not know... thank you! :) I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. From what I've heard, the Greenskins are the next TOW release, but do we have any idea when that might be?

It would appear that TOW does have its uses! (besides the return of Wood Elves models for @Mrs. NIGHTBRINGER 's army)

The price looks good.

I did come across this guy too (although he is a bit more expensive, but still reasonable)...
    https://www.reapermini.com/search/troll/latest/44002

There is a game store about 30-60 minutes away that sells Reaper miniatures. I'll see what they look like in person.

17. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

My common troll unit for my greenskins consists of a mix of GW trolls and Reaper trolls.

18. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I have two more troll heads and arm bits to make two more bases. 20240218_204557.jpg

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a fine looking unit. Thank you for sharing! :):)

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think they would fit in very nicely!

[​IMG]