1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What mini wargames are you playing?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by - Q -, Mar 14, 2024.

1. - Q -
    Salamander

- Q - Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all the great info and varied perspectives. It provides me with a great base of information to work with!

2. - Q -
    Salamander

- Q - Well-Known Member

So, getting started with The Old World and Age of Sigmar is pretty simple. I've already downloaded The Old World Lizardmen pdf. I'll wait for 4th edition Age of Sigmar before I look into the Seraphon.

Which books would one need to field Lizardmen in Warhammer Fantasy 8th?

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You'll need 3 things:

1. The main rule book. You have two choices here, the full sized hardcover book or the softcover mini version of it. Rules-wise they are the same. The mini version is more convenient as it only contains the rules and is easier to handle midgame. However, the full sized book also contains hundreds of pages of background lore and pictures (which you don't get in the small book).

9bdd871e-a62a-4b8e-86d7-102b40569748_rw_1200.png Screenshot 2024-04-15 224933.png

2. The FAQ pdf for the main rules (the Lizardmen never got one for their army book), which you can find here: https://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/129/wfb-edition-official-faqs-download

3. The Lizardmen hardcover army book:

gw-60030208004.jpg

That's all you need to step into a greater world of gaming bliss.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. - Q -
    Salamander

- Q - Well-Known Member

Perfect, thank you!

I'm guessing that Ebay is the best place to search for them?

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I personally would steer you more toward second hand booksellers, partly because they're less likely to know that these books are OOP and thus less likely to charge a small fortune for them as EBay sellers very often do. As a couple of examples, here in Albion Oxfam sell a lot of second-hand Warhammer books for charity:
    https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/sea...search&Nf=&Ns=null&Ntk=&Nrpp=30&Ntt=warhammer

And World of Books sell a fair few too: https://www.wob.com/en-gb/category/all?search=warhammer

Both sell whatever Warhammer books they can get from across the history of all the games, most of them being in good condition - it's worth keeping an eye on these sites every so often (I look them up once a week) to look out for the ones you want. It may take longer than finding it on EBay but usually you can get Warhammer Fantasy books for around the price they originally sold for back in the day or cheaper, which is much more what any frugal wargamer wants.

If you want to spend sparingly and seek bargains, this is the route I'd recommend.

- Q - and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Physical secondhand book stores and thrift shops are a good place to look too. I picked up some copies of 6th edition army books from one for about 5 dollars a book.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Agreed... over here Oxfam also has physical charity shops in a lot of places.

My best deal so far was getting the 6th Edition 40K Chaos Space Marine Codex (so hardback and full colour, like the 8th Lizardmen book) in excellent condition, for just £2 (1/15 of the original GW price). Indeed Oxfam shops very often have even more Warhammer books that they don't include on their online site (and as an added bonus you get to check the condition first-hand rather than relying upon pictures), so @- Q - it's definitely worth going out and supporting brick-and-mortar shops as well.

In fact as an advocate of brick-and-mortar stores over websites and false 'contactless' currency I'd encourage you to visit any second-hand bookshops you know of first. You never know what bargains you might dig out!

- Q - and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. - Q -
    Salamander

- Q - Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I will definitely look into that and keep checking in to see if I can snare a deal.

9. - Q -
    Salamander

- Q - Well-Known Member

No book yet, but I'll keep looking. Until then, what is the best resource on Lustria Online for a new player?