1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What model are you most proud of?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by DanBot, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I spent the last two days on my skink chief and I really like how he is turning out. He is the 11th model I've painted so far and the only thing other than a normal OOP skink that I have touched with a brush, so that may be why I am so impressed by him. I was wondering if anyone else has one model that they absolutely love and would like to show off here.

I'll start with my almost completed skink priest. He just needs a bit of touch up on his legs and his jewelry.I also need to get some paint to finish his crest and make it red.

Chief with a couple skinks
    Chief-and-skinks.gif

Front view
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-tek-tek.gif

Side view
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-side-view.gif

Second side view
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-side-2.gif

His Back
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-back-view.gif

My inspiration
    http://www.casarioblanco.com/poison-dart-frog.jpg

I also need some major basing ideas/tips if anyone has some.

2. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Nice painting job! Keep it up! I would like to see more when you have them.

To go along with the remaining thread - though it's fairly simple, I'm quite fond of my Bretonnian Hero on Foot. Just happened to find a couple pics of him on a bridge.

2011-07-26134950.jpg
    2011-07-26135105.jpg

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Probaly my blue and orange Steg, this guy is heavily converted and magnitized, I beleve he took me a month to finish.
    100_7257.jpg

4. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

@Lord Cedric: Boy I seem to see you in every thread. You get around these forums. Haha. On the picture, what is that bridge he is on!? Do you own or did you make that thing? Nice work.

@n810: Very Impressive. I'm going through a scenery thing right now. I think it comes from my problem with basing and trying to figure out how to make my bases look to my liking. But anyway. Can you tell me where you got the stones and such for yours? Are your skinks air brushed? How did you get that fading/gradient look?

I can't help but notice that you guys both have your models set in some insanely extravagant scenery and mine is sitting on some sheets of paper towel with an unpainted base. I feel so out shined. Haha.
    Though in my defence, it is two ply peper towel. Just saying, it's pretty paper towel. ;)

5. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Hehe - Yeah. I like to stay up-to-date on things and this is the first forum I've been active on for any Warhammer table-top. I really like the community and the talent here. All good people. And that makes me contribute where/when I can. So you could say I'm pretty enthusiastic about the hobby. :smug:

In reference to my bridge.. yes, it's mine. I made it about 8 or 9 years ago for my Bretonnian army. Actually.. I built and entire Bretonnian game table filled with a Bret town for a local Gaming Convention I GM'd a Warhammer Fantasy game of 6th edition.. I'll post a few pics so you can see some of it. I do have double the amount of buildings (including a cool inn) but didn't have them out for the pic. Enjoy!

P.S. The roofs come off (and the second story) so mini's can be placed inside them.

2011-07-27005154.jpg

2011-07-27004855.jpg

2011-07-27005016.jpg

2011-07-27004932.jpg

2011-07-27005113.jpg

Attached Files:

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nothing super fancy in my basing materials, basicily it's white glue, sand, flock (green sawdust),
    and popsice/craft stick (carved into rocks). The rest is layers of green and brown craft paint.

Ps. I don't have and airbrush just lots of patience in blending all that blue and green.

Pps. the background is a piece of aquarium terrain and my back yard.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I actually have two models that I am really proud of, and I'm having trouble choosing between my saurus unit filler and my carnosaur. I think for the purpose of picking one, I have to go with the carnosaur just because I spent so much longer on it, and it was half the reason I started a LM army in the first place. Oh and don't worry Danbot, no fancy background for me either. :)

CARNOSAURdone.jpg

8. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

n810 - your steg REALLY makes me want to skip doing a conversion from scratch and just getting the actual model. Looks great! I really like your color choices.

Strewart - I've looked at some volcanic themed Lizardmen armies before and thought "Hmph.. they look alright". But DANG. How did you get the blending to look so good!? I'm soooo tempted to re-paint my lizardmen army (well.. those already started) to this theme.. simply awesome!

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Thanks! I'm definitely pleased with how it turned out.

In hindsight, I do wish I had documented the exact process of how I painted it at the time. But to be honest, there wasn't really a logical step-by-step progression. It is made up of scab red, blood red, macharius solar orange and sunburst yellow complimented by red ink and the washes baal red and devlan mud. The general idea was to work up from scab red through various mixtures of the colours to make extra tones right up to sunburst yellow, with washes and inks thrown in to help blend the colours better. I did a bit of wet blending as well to help. Beyond that, I really just looked at the model and thought about what it needed next in each part (more wash to blend, more highlight, less highlight) and went with what I thought felt right. It probably has 20 stages in the skin areas at least.

It was a very fun model to paint, and being one of my favourite models I really was happy to spend loads and loads of time on it.

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

@strewart: I sure do appreciate you not showing me up with the basing. But your orange color scheme blows my orange skink away. Orange is my favorite color and I was planning on skipping the carnosaur in my collection. But now I'd really like to try my own with a similar orange color scheme. Yours is an inspiration, and is absolutely stunning in oranage.

This is like the best thread I ever made. I've gotten so much inspiration from it. I've been on looking at fish bowl online all day as well. Such a good idea. I bought this. haha
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147133&lmdn=Price

11. strewart
    OldBlood

Oooh that rock will look very cool on someone's base. Have a plan for what to do with it yet? Or do you actually own a fish? :p

I agree, good idea for a thread! A place for people to post one single model from their collection that they really like, should produce a great gallery if it takes off. So everyone else looking at this thread, join in and post your best/favourite model! :)

12. Darkness Lizard
    Jungle Swarm

Darkness Lizard New Member

This is my first and only Kroxigor so far but I am very proud of how it turned out despite me dumping a huge glob of super glue on its neck and passing it as an infection :rolleyes:

035.jpg

036.jpg

Attached Files:

• 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      178.3 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      191.6 KB
      Views:
  13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Not bad at all. I hope my kroxigor turn out that well. I don't know how you kept your base so clean. Or did you repaint it black. After I'm done with a model my bases look like a San Fran on National Pride day. Steady hand maybe?

I went to Rider's Hoppy Shop, our semi local hobby authority. I didnt think to go there since i planned on getting like all GW stuff and Rider's is all models. rockets, RCs, trains and such. But a friend told me it was a good place for basing supplies. So I dropped by. It was like Christmas in that place! First off they have a ton of warhammer stuff, priced lower than the GW site. Including a bunch of OOP stuff and the Carinsour. So I'll be going back for him in a week or two. I spent about $50 on all basing stuff. So I hope to do some sort of base for my chief by tomorrow afternoon. I'll be posting that when i"m done.

I have a base i am proud of now! But I take pictures with my gf's camara and it is dead. It needs to be charged. I'll have them up by tomorrow.

14. Morikun
    Skink

Morikun New Member

Very good painting my dears ^^

Personnally I would suggest my Venerable Lord Kroak (also more showed in my post too : http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7248 )

Thank you very much ^^

If I can give you some tips, my dear Danbot, the plastic plants (like aquarium) are absolutely fantastic and no expansive : some sand, a little brush on the base.. and one or two plastic plants will give your miniature a very good "Lustria Way" (and you'll hide your chief in forest better than everyone... but don't forget him... like me... sometimes ^^).

Morikun

15. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

I was quite proud of this model:

That is, until my mom was looking for a tupperware jar, found one in the closet where I keep a lot of my warhammer stuff, and threw out the foam inside it, not noticing there was a mini in them...

16. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Awesome looking models guys! Wish I actually had some painted stuff to show but sadly I don't.

@ Strewart: I LOVE THAT CARNOSAUR! AMAZING!

17. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

@Morikun: I wnet out and got a ton of fish bowl stuff. I wish I had my gf's camara charger so I could show everyone. Soon. Tomorrow with any luck. I can't seem to find anything small and leafy like you have. My favorite part of your model is the mask shield. That is genius! I have the model, so i am basically going to steal that idea. Genius! The scar vet in general is really nicely done. I love that guys paint job! The white scales.

@Didymus: No idea who that is, but he looks awesome. RIP. I'm not sure if it's the lighting or what, but your axes turned out much better than my silver daggers turn out.

18. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

He's fixable :). It's a Chaos Exalted Hero: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1160053a

19. Morikun
    Skink

Morikun New Member

Thank you very much my dear Danbot ^^

You can find the plastic plant in the pet shops specialized in fishes and aquarium I think... If you want I can give you a website with a thousand stuff about dioramas (plants, stones...), it's VERY cheap... but it's in Europe.

You can steal all ideas you want ^^ I didn't copyright my miniatures and If I show it, it's for the users ^^ Just do me a favor : If someone ask about the idea, just speak about me thank you (and you can give my blog too ^^).

More pics in my post very soon guys

Morikun

20. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'll check out that site. I'm not finding exactly what i want at petsmart or pet supplies plus. All the plants I bought feel very 2D when i cut the tips off. So I end up having to glue them leaf by leaf so they aren't flat. It takes me hours to get the way I like. So a site would be great!

Everyone here knows I'm not creative enough to convert anything. Anything cool i have people will know came from somewhere else. I have no problems telling people where my idea's came from. haha. except my paint job. That is all me. :)