1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW What should I get next

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Ragetoad, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

I bought 20 saurus warriors and got 7 cold one riders off eBay. I also purchased a slann starmaster a while back intending to get into aos but then old world came out. I love fantasy Warhammer so obviously I have come here.

So I would like an army that can have some character sniping and to be aggressive. So would bastilladon with solar engines on top what I need for sniping? What other viable options are there?

Was thinking a Carnasaur or trog with scar vet not sure what else maybe fill rest of 2k points on skinks items.

2. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

You have a slann, so I would say temple guard should be the next unit. Need to fill out core. What point level are you looking to play at? A bastilodon would be good, as if you build solar version, you can use the extra snakes to make swarms for core.

3. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I should say skinks of course, eventually 3/4 kroxigors. An ancient Stegadon may be good too and maybe some chameleons

4. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

How about this for 1000p list

Slann with elemental 310

10 saurus guard
    10 saurus g 140x2

6 cold ones with spears 210

Trog with oracle 200 could get bastilladon with the canon instead so could buy extras for other bare bones units.

5. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Temple Guard you should have no problem ranking up because they're old models (Saurus guard is AoS)

You can't put a scar vet on a trog. Of the two, I suspect a Carnosaur is going to be the far better model.

Skinks are a must and if you pay for scouts you might be able to a smidge of sniping.

What I did was play around with a 2000 army builder and figure out basically what I like and take it from there. Overall lizardmen are very aggressive and not great at sniping. In fact sniping characters in TOW is difficult in general. Probably bastiladon and stegadon with bow is the best we can do

6. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

Can I say 10 saurus warriors are temple guard? Or do I need the specific models/weapons? They are the fantasy models I believe. The cold ones are nice models.

Thanks yeah army builder is a lot of fun. I liked the trog as it comes with a priest I can arcane conduit with. You could put a priest on a stegadon but that would be a lot of points.

7. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Yeah but Stegadon is much more powerful than troglodon. Even without considering the bow or the engine of gods. Last but not least engine of gods cast as level 3 caster, troglodon as level 1, that means easy to dispel. Slann can use arcane conduit but only 1 spell per turn and you have to be within 12.

8. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

That is quite a lot better points wise. Don't stegs make bastilladons a poor choice too as they arnt many points off a Steg?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  9. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Both yes and no. I consider to play 2 stegadons and 1 bastilodon (i like the model mostly and +1 initiative is Good).

bastilodon’s spel has 24 range and not 15, is much stronger even if harder to cast (you need a 7 instead a 5)

however bastiladons are not rare. You cannot at 2000 play 2 ancient Stegadon as rare points, they are too costly. Of course you can play one of them as a characters mount but then it take a lot of points from characters. That reason 1 Bastiladon may be worth it

10. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Between Bastiladon and troglodon I should still choose the first one. The second one may be worth only if you need arcane counduit for the Slann OR if you don’t play any mage and you need someone to dispel. The casting abilities of Bastiladon are still better than Troglodon. The flame attack is ok but only S3 (even if 5+ to wound is good)

11. discomute
    Terradon

Agree with above. Generally I think
    S tier - Carnosaur, Stegadon w/Chief
    A tier - Stegadon & Ancient Steg
    A/B borderline - Bastiladon, Ancient Steg w/Priest
    B - Troglodon

12. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

Where would a cowboy old blood/scar vet figure in the ranks? Arnt they meant to be good.

13. discomute
    Terradon

Good question, please don't listen to me too closely as I'm just theorying here and I'm quite new to it.

Also I will 100% be running a troglodon, it's my favourite model and I'm looking forward to painting it

14. Ragetoad
    Jungle Swarm

Ragetoad New Member

Yeah I guess it's new for everyone. We will see how people find armies and how certain models perform in battle reports.

It's a shame as they say they're not updating Lizardmen anymore. So are trogs doomed being non optimal?

15. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Non optimal but do a lot of things. So they are not completely garbage....Razordon are it (unfortunately)

discomute likes this.
  16. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

IMO if you can find any of the old start collecting boxes, either thr one with the bastillodon, or the one with the carno, you should not pass them up