1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What wash would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lingbei, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

I'm deciding on painting my miniatures in a yellow/black and orange/black colour scheme. The Yellow and black will be for the skinks and the orange will be used for the Saurus. What washes would you recommend using for these colours as I haven't really had much experience in using them

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

the Sepia wash over a bright yellow would look decen,
    for the orange, you cold go with delven, or maybe the ogrym wash.
    for the black, you could do your blacks as more of a dark grey,
    and shade it with the black wash.

3. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

Thanks I will have a look at getting them tomorrow :)

4. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

You'll never go too wrong with Devlan Mud all over, but I agree with n810 that Sepia might look better on the yellow.

5. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

I agree with the devlan mud! I almost exclusively use it on all of my models. For my salamanders, I based them with the foundation orange color and washed them with devlan and they came out amazingly.

6. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

Cheers, I tried the Sephia on the skinks and will now try the devlan mud to see which is better. Does anyone know a way of painting yellow well? The GW paints just come out slightly blotchy even with mutliple coats

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

In general if you are planing to paint a part yellow, you phould lay down a solid base coat of foundation white first, or you could just prime white, which wouldn't be a bad idea with a yellow and orange army,
    because painting black over white is usualy easier than doing it the other way round.

8. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

I'll get some when I am next in town. I'll post some pictures up soon, may start a painting blog too, Will show the difference between the models.

9. gewaltatron
    Saurus

gewaltatron New Member

well, painting yellow is indeed not the easies color to start with. but there are some easy tricks.

as mentioned, use a white undercoat. a basecolor then could be one of the GW foundation colors like iyaden darksun or tausept ochre. but burbonic brown or some browns also work pretty good. yellow is not just yellow. it really depends on what kind of yellow you like. if you work directly over a white primer make sure you use thinned layers and build up the yellow color.

for a wash you could also think of making your own, depending on what yellow you like. maybe some orange or red wash. P3 formula also has some nice yellows in their color range.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah yellow is not something you should just put straight onto the undercoat. Maybe if white is the undercoat, but I would probably still avoid that. Decide if you want a dirty or clean yellow colour, what kind of tones you want, and work up to it from a darker colour. The best start would be either browns or reds/oranges to get to yellow.

11. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

Thanks everyone, I went and bought the brown/yellow foundation paint and then worked up the yellow, and then used a devlan mud to wash, cause I didn't want them being too bright. Worked quite well, just need to base the models and I will post them. Also started the Saurus Warriors and I think they turned out quite well.