1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which brush?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by rhysap, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rhysap
    Saurus

rhysap New Member

small or medium drybrush, which is best for a beginner,
    i have the starter brush and fine detail brush

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

I recommend something really large, like a wash brush to do basecoating. especially with LM you can do very very much of the painting with a large brush, saving lots of time.

for smaller parts i use a "large" brush. it has a good tip, but it also holds a lot of paint making it both faster and easier to use.

Also, get a special (or two) brush for drybrushing. not because it requires a special brush, but because it destroys the tip of teh brush. i use very cheap brushes for this. i got 15 for about 7 euro at "rusta" (some swedish kind of wallmart). this sabes your other brushes for better things. one very large and one smaller drybrush should be enough.

lastly, i use a 000 brush for eyes and pretty much nothing else. This is NOT a very important brush and your fine detail brush will serve you well untill you no longer concider yourself a ”noob” (or rather the bush will wear out before that ;)

Many people make the mistake of focusing too much on small brushes and small details. a larger brush gives an even coverage and saves time. with a wash brush and a large drybrush you can make fantastic looking models by using drybushing and washing. You dont need the tiny details like eyes untill you are an expert with drybrushing and washing. Always use as large a brush as you can, and the mores killed you get the larger a brush you can use with precision.

GL :)

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

also keep in mind there are many brush shapes besides just pointy,
    I use a lot of flat square and chiseled ends myself, I find the flat wide brushes
    work best for dry brushing, so get a variety back of some cheep natural bristle
    brushes, just stay from the coarser bristle brushes, those are terrible for miniature painting.

4. ForgottenKnight2001
    Saurus

ForgottenKnight2001 New Member

I use a #2 shader for my drybrush. It's made by Loew-Cornell. It's fairly small

I've used the white nylon for them before, but i find it's a bit TOO soft so I use the blue handled ones (i can't remember the material it's made out of).

Another brush that works fine (after you've worn it out) is a #0 spotter, it's a round flat tip brush and works well, mine is fine sable. Has a good firmnes, but not so firm as it wipes the paint right back off again

5. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

Honestly if you are just starting go to a craft store and buy a variety of the medium priced ones, don't buy the crap ones, but don't buy the really nice ones until you learn to care for the brushes. It also helps you discover which size brushes you like.

6. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

QFT