1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which movement trays/bases

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by William, Dec 6, 2011.

1. William
    Jungle Swarm

William New Member

So recently my biggest thought has been "what do I want my bases to look like", then I saw the trays/bases at microartstudio.com, and I really like the look of their bases.

The only problem I have now is deciding which ones would be better. Keeping in mind I want a purple scheme with blue/green highlights, I have narrowed it down to two choices.

Firstly, Temple

These look quite nice and don't seem too difficult to paint. My only concern was the contrast from purple. Purple and beige? Would that look good?

Secondly, Jungle bases.

These ones look a lot brighter and seem like they would very easily fit with the purple colours, but they also seem a little out of my reach as far as painting goes (It wouldn't look terrible, but nowhere near the displays).

Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: "Your images may only be up to 1 pixels wide.", ughhhh........ what's up with that? (got the error when using IMG codes)

2. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

There. Edited to show the pictures.

Use the PIC function and not the IMG function - it works better for these.

IMO, though the jungle bases look really sweet, I think that they are too busy and will distract from the actual model. I would, however, consider using them for Lords and Heroes.. or even gluing some to a base for the Slann.

The jungle movement tray, however, looks pretty good and I would use that for my units. For the bases, I would do a mix of dirt and grass and maybe *some* other plantlife and possibly even a unit filler with a tree or a large rotting log. But not as much as what is on the jungle bases.

Just my opinion though.

- Lord Cedric

3. William
    Jungle Swarm

William New Member

Thanks for that.

Yes, the jungle bases do seem a little over the top, and that was my main concern with them really.

4. ForgottenKnight2001
    Saurus

ForgottenKnight2001 New Member

Take a look at scibor miniatures for your bases too. They don't have movement trays, but they have some really nice bases

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=82

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Worth mentioning that you can paint those temple floor stones however you want. Just use a color you think goes with purple. Personally, I would've thought that sandy colour would be fine anyway.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I agree, purple should go well with the first one. I would avoid the blue sand that seems to be on the unit base though, paint it a different colour to go better with your purple lizards.

And while the jungle bases look awesome, yes they look a bit too busy. They would certainly draw attention from the models and would take a long time to paint.

7. William
    Jungle Swarm

William New Member

I don't know what I was thinking earlier really, but the ruin bases should go perfectly fine with the purple lizards.

Yes, that does look a bit....... odd. No idea why I wouild go for blue sand, it also seems like it would just get in the way when painting (sand-coloured (is that even a thing) sand would be a lot simpler to paint next to the ruins).

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

As others has said I think the jungle bases look way to busy. The temple bases would be nice with some added static grass I think.

9. strim.uphill
    Skink

strim.uphill New Member

If you are going for the temple themed bases, i like the ones from base X of war ( www.base-x-of-war.com ) much more.

And the skirmish movement tray:

10. ForgottenKnight2001
    Saurus

ForgottenKnight2001 New Member

Okay, those are snazzy.