1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 1000 points v Dwarves

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by discomute, Mar 16, 2024.

1. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I didn't look closely at his army list, I believe his Dwarves has a lord with some good runes (wound 2+ and reroll his armour a few times) two groups of longbeards, iron breakers, hand gunners a gattling gun and a canon.

I had
    ===
    1000 lizard carno [998 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [364 pts] ++

Saurus Oldblood [360 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - General
    - Carnosaur
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Talisman of Protection
    - Great Weapon

++ Core Units [439 pts] ++

20 Saurus Warrior [334 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++

1 Troglodon [200 pts]
    - Venomous talons and venom spray
    - monsoon

---

Turn 1
    Screenshot_20240316_200334_Gallery.jpg

So my plan was to hide behind my skinks. Keep everything close together and make him work to get around the terrain.

I didn't realise they offer no cover to large target!

Well we approached and they fired in return

Turn 2
    Screenshot_20240316_200329_Gallery.jpg

I managed to drench the war machine but overall monsoon would just be dispelled on his turn

The poison from the javelins took two wounds off the gattling gun

The breath weapon of the trog does little
    He shot me back for a wound
    The cannon was doing very little

Turn 3
    Screenshot_20240316_200321_Gallery.jpg

The javelins managed the final wound on the gattling gun
    Monsoon drenched the handgunners

After getting off a charge the carnosaur mowed through the iron breakers

He thought overkill for challenges meant models died, when I explained later in the game he realised he should have challenged

Stubbon and shieldwall meant they stayed and the carnosaur followed up

His turn
    Carnosaur killed the champion and had to follow up, after FBIGO, as frenzy

Turn 4

Skinks charged the canon and took a model

(At this point it was obvious nuffle was with me, i.e. I was very lucky)

Troglodon and handgunners were exchanging shots for not much. He wanted to shoot and I didn't want to get flanked

Carnosaur wiped them out..he reformed as I thought I could but now I think as he was frenzy I had to overrun

He was still dealing with movement hassles with his two longbeards regiments and moved them into a position they could get into combat

Turn 5
    Troglodon, carnosaur and the Saurus has a 3 way charge on the handgunners. They were wiped out and the Saurus followed up into combat

The skinks killed the canon in combat

His second unit charged the Saurus in return

I think I mucked up the rules as I used my spears against him although I think because I followed up from FBIGO I counted as charging

We actually managed to win combat by 1, mostly as their lord was only giving a supporting attack

We were pressed for him otherwise I would have loved to have seen a carno and thane showdown.

What I learned? Mostly rules!

Man the skinks are good with their javelins and poison

I love the Troglodon but it doesn't do much. I think using it as a toughness 5 blocking tool is about all it can do

Game took a full 3 hours! We looked up a lot of rules but it's hard to imagine 5 turns at 2000 in less than two hours

The carnosaur is a killing machine... At 1000 anyway

Edit - result
    I realised I didn't mention who won
    Well at the end of the fifth I hadn't lost any units and he has lost iron breakers, two war machines and handgunners
    However - aside from the dice being with me, every time we mucked up a rule it seemed to be in my favour
    - the big one was him not issuing a challenge with the iron breakers
    - In his turn, I thought monsoon was dispelled and scattered during the shooting phase (the same phase it was cast) and this is wrong, it's in command. This meant it was there to obstruct movement each time. I'm not sure how much benefit I got though.
    - the carnosaur reforming after wiping out the Ironbreakers meant he got into the handgun fight whereas he should not have, probably the follow up would have had him removed from combat for the game
    - I followed up his FBIGO with my Saurus spears in my turn. This is a charge. Then he charged me in his turn with another unit. So I used my spears in the second rank against the unit that charged. I should not have been able to do that. - I told him I had a musician in the Saurus when I did not! It actually didn't get used but whoops.
    - there was some miscommunication about the hill in the middle. I assumed the cliffs were unscalable and it would be difficult ground (which explains my set up). He assumed it would work the way the normal hill did. since we were on turn 2 at this stage we said the steep side (left of camera) couldn't be climbed but nothing else was difficult. This seemed fair but actually it made him getting his two longbeards into combat really difficult. In fact the real reason I won was across 5 turns I got more units into combat. In fairness I did run at him and he waited for me. But the hill made a big difference. An extra turn or two would have made things really interesting.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Kalisto likes this.
  2. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Thank for the report!! Nice picture too

Just a question… you managed to launch moonson twice with a level 1, was quite good. If I should play a troglodon I will probably just take battle magic signature spell and try to charge in a flank out of the dispel range.

I know dwarfs have a lot of MR (that doesn’t help against vortex) however how about is dispel? Did he played anything? The magic didn’t made a lot here but I imagine at 2000 with a Slann too

3. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I attempted monsoon 4 times and cast it 3, each time I rolled a 9!

He had fated dispels only and each time he failed on my turn and succeeded on his.

I actually rolled fireball which is about the only spell I would consider keeping but I wanted to see monsoon in action to see if I liked it better than hammerhands which is easier to gauge in my head. And I thought there wasnt a better test than trying to block two war machines and some gunners.

Edit - another thought I had is the armour of meoteric iron is better good. It saved him twice from a cannonball.

Edit 2 I can't imagine being able to get the trog in combat whilst staying out of dispel range. That's why I think a distance spell like fireball or monsoon might be better

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  4. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I understand, as the same time this is just a 1000 point game. Troglodon is very costly and works best near the enemy, in melee or with breath weapon. So that’s reason you want him there. For the same cost you can play a level 2 mage and a salamander both better in each own category) and you still have 20 points left.

discomute likes this.