1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Articles to print in 3D - Lizardmen / Seraphon

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Ge32, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MikkelangeloHD
    Skink

MikkelangeloHD Member

Would make for an interesting Gor Rok to if you have just one of the guys. Still hoping someone transfers the TW:WH2 textured and posed model to an stl though :3

2. Krogmonster
    Saurus

Krogmonster Active Member

Alrighty guys, my new Dread Saurian proxy is complete! Behold, the Stone Saurian! He is available on my Cults page! The accessories (adapted from Daelis Kroak Model with some kitbashing) are not part of the paid model.

https://cults3d.com/en/users/krogmonster/creations

Clean.jpg Textured.jpg Textured No Deco.jpg

I am also working on a killer Arcanadon model! Stay tuned for that to drop as well! It will be most likely be made available for free.

Arcanadon.jpg

p.s. I most definitely wont be posting this anywhere for download, but I am also working on an adaptation of Daelis' Kroak model i call "Young Kroak"

Young Kroak.png

Should I give him a 6-pack?

3. Lizardtastic
    Skink

Lizardtastic New Member

Its been a long time since we talked about saurus warriors models but i dont know if any of us has developed someting new.

I saw here some models that are quite similars but have like an Iguana head. I dont know enough to change this head with any software or leave them headless to use the original ones. If someone colud I would appreciate it!

The TW2 models dont know if someone finally achieved some final model. It will be great to know about it.

As always, thank you for your time!

4. Krogmonster
    Saurus

Replacing heads on 3D models is actually pretty simple. I use Meshmixer for that kind of thing.

5. Krogmonster
    Saurus

Alright guys, I am honestly shocked that I am the first to make this model (as far as I can tell). I have finished my Arcanadon!
    Its pretty badass if i do say so myself.
    I have called it the Arcanosaurus for IP reasons.

You can get it here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/arcanosaur

It was a really fun sculpt!

Let me know what you think!

Arcanadon2.jpg Arcanadon1.jpg Arcanadon3.jpg

Ge32 and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  6. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

I share my feedback:

I like it, although I think the rays mess up the gyroscope's view a bit. As they are right now (inside the gyroscope).

Perhaps the rays could be under the gyroscope coming out of the cylindrical base on which the gyroscope now rests, giving a result that the gyroscope floats in the air unlike the original model that we all know.

You could also make a row of triangles on the rectangular platform.
    Maybe this one could help you if you squish it and stretch it a little so that it is the same size and height as yours.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3647772

The curves that lean on the beast and support the howdah, you could make a zigzag so it looks like the designs on the Ark of Sotek:
    This is achieved with Boolean differences.

I think with that, and a couple of textures on the animal and some ornaments like these:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4399768
    And you have it ready.

7. Krogmonster
    Saurus

I did include the gyro without the lightning, if that is your thing. Personally I think the engine from the Amazon release from Titan Forge looks really good and could also be used.

Amazon Engine.jpg

I tried to stay close to the source material in terms of ornament, without all tags and such like the carnosaur kit has. You could always add them, I always seem to have lots leftover.

Ge32 and Imrahil like this.
  8. Overread
    Skink

Overread New Member

Honestly my biggest complaint would be one that applies to a lot of big creatures with attachments in that the harness looks insufficient to actually provide a hold and perhaps lacks padding in key areas to avoid the rope sawing through scales as it moves and the structure atop digging in. Considering that its stone not light wood I'd have thought they'd need thick bundles of cloth under the contact point with the scales coupled with perhaps slightly more straps securing things in place.

Eg you've one strap going around the tail but you've no belt on the tail itself to prevent that strap simply sliding forward and ending up loose as it moves.

9. Croco Guard
    Cold One

Croco Guard Well-Known Member

July Patreon from Lord of the Print, Dynotopia

Release-July.jpg

https://www.patreon.com/posts/july-release-53137019

Lord of the Print is a well known miniature maker who releases his products monthly on his patreon and also has them available on his myminifactory page. If you pledge for July you will get the files for the above dinosaurs and riders. I quite like the style of his models, but only dip in occasional should the month theme suit me.

10. Krogmonster
    Saurus

You know I think you make a valid point. Your criticism of the typical style makes sense. I think the general idea when people make these things is to have it appear "primitive" or at least simple. You can see in the Titan Forge model above that it similarly is a single rope around the middle with no padding.
    I've never seen personally one with padding before the LotP ones just above, but adding a few more straps might be in order. (If you wanna get picky, i think the spikes might help hold the engine in place, but hey).
    The original model had some ropes going around the shoulders/hips. I might try to add some of those.

Ge32 likes this.
  11. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

Honestly, looks very nice. More than criticism, they were advice to achieve a much better design. Like when I wrote it to you, I hadn't realized that you had already published it, I thought it was a work in progress.

12. Krogmonster
    Saurus

Is anything ever really "finished"?

Cuetzpal Pilli, RandomTsar and Ge32 like this.
  13. Overread
    Skink

Overread New Member

You make a good point about primitive designs or designs that are not well thought out. Nothing says that lizardmen "have" to be modern in their attitude toward their mounts and beasts of war. There are many people today who use poorly thought out/badly designed or just outright abusive designs in harness and straps. Things that might look ok at a distance until you get up close and see sores and welts and other damage.

Things that in models you won't typically see unless its something for Chaos in GW or for Skorne in Hordes

Spikes holding things makes sense for me up to a point. I think its a scale and weight thing. See spikes might be part of the skin or part of the skeletal structure. In both cases they'd be different; those part of the skin might have decent hold, but are going to flex and move and any pressure on them might cause them to warp or bend or adjust. Meanwhile those which are part of the skeleton might have greater hold, but at the same time might have a greater degree of flex and motion when the animal moves (those on the skin will also move but might have more scope to not move if bound in the right way).

I think for me the greater thing is seeing things which look like they'd cause sores or damage fast where there isn't any. Things like straps going around the belly and near to the thinner skin near the hind legs where they connect with the body - ergo an area with a lot of motion and rubbing

In the end its all different perceptions and ideas and concepts. It might well be the scale is so much tougher than it resists the rubbing and abrasion; that the spines have enough hold; that the animals gait is less jolting and trained to be smoother etc... There's a lot of factors that come into play.

Plus its also a level of detail many won't notice - just like many won't notice issues when armour hasn't got a thick padding underneath it or the stance isn't one you'd have when fighting with a sword; or such. I think STLs can make some more sensitive to this micro level of detail because you can get in close and zoom around the model and see that a bit of armour hasn't got a buckle or strap under the arm where in a model you'd never really notice that because you'd never really see it on a 28mm model etc....

14. MikkelangeloHD
    Skink

MikkelangeloHD Member

upload_2021-7-19_0-47-36.png
    Seems like OnePageRules is making some changes to a few of their Lizardmen releases. If you want the models as they are now I suggest purchasing and downloading them asap. I am stoked to see what changes they have in mind :)

onepagerules @onepagerules - MyMiniFactory

Cuetzpal Pilli and Croco Guard like this.
  15. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

Weird, I couldn't find the monthly releases that these models were included in directly from their store page. I had to search for Saurians in the MMF searchbar to get to them - it's Release #1 & #2. Gotta make sure I have all these downloaded tonight!

Curious if their current weapons/designs are too close to their original inspiration and OPR was asked to change them because of this?...might also explain why it's not visible on their storefront and hidden behind a search and whatnot?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  16. Overread
    Skink

Overread New Member

Those links are also hidden it seems?
    And yes from what I've seen GW's attitude toward 3D printers is to issue a copyright claim, but to also give them the option to rework designs for approval. Of course sometimes the work required is too great that its not worth the designers time so those models are lost. I think GW are being sensible with 3D printing - they are protecting their IP/Copyright/Trademark, but also doing so in a way that leaves an avenue for the 3D print market to exist and not be persecuted. I think whatever the gains or losses, GW has learned and improved since the "Chapterhouse" court case era.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  17. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Ah, I just noticed the little LOCK symbol next to the set names on MMF and since I'm logged in and was a patron for them, they show up for me. My bad gang! Guess it is only currently available for those who already had the set unlocked until they get re-sculpted.

18. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

Whoever downloaded it, could upload them here with a Wetransfer? so we have one more week to download it
    -
    Quien lo haya descargado, ¿podría subirlo aquí con Wetransfer? así que tenemos una semana más para descargarlo

19. Hokusa
    Jungle Swarm

Hokusa New Member

Attached Files:

20. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Whoa...those are fantastic! :eek: Thanks for the share!

...and yet another gumroad creator to add to my collection, haha!