1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Based desires

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Vedras, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Vedras
    Chameleon Skink

Vedras Well-Known Member

Hello hobby comrades,

I'm beginning to give thought to basing, but as this is not something I've bothered with before its completely new territory for me.

If anyone is happy to give their advice, experiences and pitfalls that would be wonderful. Even better if this thread could turn in to a bit of a rogues gallery of bases for ideas and inspiration.

(If this has been done on another part of the forum already, I'll have missed it or not searched long enough. My apologies)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Interesting and good to put this in a thread.
    As far as I can recollect there isn't a thread like this done before.

For me basing is all about setting a scene for the models. So I'd like to make them thematic to the army: streets of the White City for my Minas Tirith models, desert for the Easterlings, jungle for my Seraphon, etc.

Grrr, Imrahil

Vedras likes this.
  3. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Making bases is one the things I really enjoy about the hobby. This week I'll try and collate some pictures of my bases and write up a quick list of steps/ products used etc.

NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and Vedras like this.
  4. Vedras
    Chameleon Skink

Vedras Well-Known Member

That would be amazing. I'd very much love that, thank you Explodingzeb :)

Imrahil and Explodingzeb like this.
  5. BurningBee
    Kroxigor

BurningBee Well-Known Member

Totally agree! A good painted model is nothing without a good base! I always try to tell a little story with the base.

Because I only paint small units like blood bowl teams it's easier for me to design the bases a little different for ever model.

Things I use for basing:

For example my lizardmen blood bowl team is on a training ground in swamp. So the terrain is really muddy. The saurus and the Kroxigor are very heavy and running deep in the mud. 20220122_125429~2.jpg
    To model the ground I use playdohh from my son. It's easy to handle and you have no idea how hard this stuff can become after drying. Then I put normal art glue, also from my son, on it and sprinkle it with sand, out of the sandbox of my son.
    Painted it in the color you like for the earth and dry brush it.
    Afterwards again art glue and sprinkle it with grass stuff.
    As accessory I use "real" Sticks and Stones so I don't have to worry about a real look.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Vedras, Explodingzeb and Imrahil like this.