1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Charging, positioning, and pile-in question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kilvakar, Sep 28, 2020.

1. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

So it seems like an initial tactic is deploying on your very back edge with screens at the max distance? and hope for a bad charge roll? do orks get a super charge roll bonus? or just the regular command ability to reroll?

As folks said above, I would just ask your friend to treat it as a learning game or a tournament prep style game. trying to learn as much about each army as you can instead of just winning.

Have you been using the deadly terrain rules? I only just started wrapping my head around the terrain rules. some seem able to be a minor thorn in peoples sides...

Kilvakar likes this.
  2. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Well considering there is typically 18 or 24" between you and your opponent (you can always deploy further back, which increases the distance a bit) and the two fastest units move 12+12=24" or 9+9=18" you cant really deploy far enough back tbh. You kind of just have to embrace that if he wants to, he will get to you. Thats why people talk so much about "screens". If you have a line of mutliple units of 10 Skinks covering the front of your army, it doesnt really matter if he moves across the table and charges you. All he can hit is units of 10 Skinks that are expendable and now hes a sitting duck right in front of you. Ironjawz arent very durable and rely alot on punching their opponent hard.

Kilvakar, Imrahil and Canas like this.
  3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

to build on this, your strategy should never revolve around never taking damage. It's simple impossible for you to deploy in a way that will completely mitigate his first turn. You need to play around where you can take the punch and plan how you'll be able to strike back.

Grotpunter and Kilvakar like this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

If he is bringing a Warchanter he can use the Get 'Em Beat at the start of the Charge Phase:
    Get 'Em Beat.PNG

This makes(can make) for some extra inches.

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically take the allegiance abilities, hero abilities, plus there are also battalions that give you extra move and even if you are deployed on the very back of your zone you're still getting charged.

Looks like the answer is to just spend more points on 10-man Skink units whenever I know I'm playing Orks and just make sure I've got enough firepower to hit back hard. :)

Imrahil likes this.