1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Cheapest Dracothion Tail Experiment

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Gradeaal, Sep 6, 2017.

?

Which new battalion is your favorite of GHB 2017?

1. Dracothion's Tail

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Fangs of Sotek

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Shadowstrike Starhost Forever

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Gradeaal
    Skink

Gradeaal Member

Hey all! With the GHB 2017 out finally, we've got access to a few interesting new toys. The one that has me most excited however, is the new Dracothion's Tail battalion. In combination with our new allegiance "warpstar" ability, we've got some of the best mobility afforded in the game!

I've seen a few potential 2k lists that look very promising, mostly combining shadowstrike for an effective alpha strike.As someone who mostly plays mostly low points allied games with my brother and fiance, I'd like to discuss the possibility of a minimalist army at 1k and figure out whether this incredible mobility is worth the whopping 170pts to field the battalion, close to 1/5th of your allowed points!

Let's start with the essentials!

Slann Starmaster (Kuoteq) 260pts

Scar-vet on Cold-One 100pts

5x Saurus Knights 100pts Battleline

Firelance Starhost 110pts
    Dracothion's Tail 60pts

Total 830pts

We do not have much to work with beyond this, with only a paltry 170pts for upgrades. This means no behemoths,(Troglodon our cheapest behemoth, is 10pts too expensive!) unless we upgrade our cowboy into a Scar-Vet on Carno, which exhausts 140 of our points. meaning we can only take a single Razordon, Salamander or dare I say it, skink handlers in addition. This may not be a terrible idea if we decide to pour our loadout's value onto the Carno Rider, giving him one of the saurus command traits, which I hear work better in small points games. Perhaps Thickly Scaled Hide to help preserve our investment.

However, I believe that much of the armies power will come from Kuoteq. An advantage of Draco's Tail, is that the command trait for Slann allowing two "warpstars" in a turn is redundant when you consider his ability to summon battalion units. Because of this, giving him all skink mage spells makes him a powerhouse of utility in low points games! Curse of Fates may help our cowboy gain additional attacks, or help us gain extra mortal wounds on knight charges.

Other potential unit upgrades include using 120pts of Chameleon skinks, which are unsurprisingly still very effective in combination with our cavalry alpha-strike, and either a skink priest, a single razordon or a salamander.

I'm not absolutely sure that Dracothion's Tail is effective in low points games, in fact I'm almost certain better lists with even Firelance Starhost exist (Where my Bastilabuddies at?) but in the interest of herpetology, I'd love to get feedback from our wonderful little community. Cheers!

Aginor likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hmmmm will have to think about it.
    At 1000 so am almost sure it isn't worth it though. Maybe not even at 1.5k.

3. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Firelance is either to be heavily invested with many buffs - not affordable at 1k - or be used to harass weak enemy units or go after objectives - not affordable as well at 1k since you' ll have few points left to deal with the serious threats :p